Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #43,458 of 46,499
HD600. There are many people who prefer them to the HD650 for the reasons stated.
I read they are very similar. Perhaps I have to refine my question: is there a can which is as natural as in accurate and detailed as the T1 but with more "body" and impact? The HD650 are far from natural but in the right direction in balance compared to the T1.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #43,459 of 46,499
The HD650 sound too unnatural to me, too much bass and no treble. The T1 sounds too neutral to me without impact to the drums etc. Which cans are a compromise between the too?
And they sound like real life to me. Bright headphones such as the HD 800 and the T1 are way to lean and their tonality is off, but that's my opinion.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #43,461 of 46,499
The HD650 sound too unnatural to me, too much bass and no treble. The T1 sounds too neutral to me without impact to the drums etc. Which cans are a compromise between the too?
Maybe the Focal line? Focal Clear or Massdrop Focal Elex. Just from reading, never auditioned them myself. (So why am I posting this useles crap?)

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #43,463 of 46,499
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #43,465 of 46,499
Maybe the Focal line? Focal Clear or Massdrop Focal Elex. Just from reading, never auditioned them myself. (So why am I posting this useles crap?)
Ugh, Focal. I heard the Utopia, Elex, and own the Elegia. I didn't hear the Utopia long enough to form an opinion on them. For the Elex and the Elegia, there's a certain harshness in their timbre to my ears that makes certain instruments sound unnatural. After EQ, things get a bit better. Still, imo, the HD800S sounds far more natural than either of the two Focal cans with which I had extensive time listening. Then again, my HD800S are my main cans for classical music/orchestral soundtracks; I use Arya for almost everything else.

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #43,466 of 46,499
And they sound like real life to me. Bright headphones such as the HD 800 and the T1 are way to lean and their tonality is off, but that's my opinion.

yes, the 650/6xx sound extremely realistic because of the body of the notes and timbre it can produce. also, the level of micro detailing is v strong despite there not being an overwhelming treble. the 650/6xx is just a special headphone

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #43,467 of 46,499
I agree, I don't care much for bright headphones. The tonality of the HD650s is spot on and meanwhile they resolve like crazy. This is the first studio-grade neutralish pair of headphones that really engage me. I appreciate the K550MKIIs, which to me have an equal even tonality, but they are pretty much 'matter of fact', even though their soundstage is more consumer audio friendly, less of a "three blob". The HD650s are starting to become my favorite pair, alongside the Nightbirds.

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #43,469 of 46,499
I agree, I don't care much for bright headphones. The tonality of the HD650s is spot on and meanwhile they resolve like crazy. This is the first studio-grade neutralish pair of headphones that really engage me. I appreciate the K550MKIIs, which to me have an equal even tonality, but they are pretty much 'matter of fact', even though their soundstage is more consumer audio friendly, less of a "three blob". The HD650s are starting to become my favorite pair, alongside the Nightbirds.

I just received my Romanian HD650, replacing an Irish pair I blew up (long story, never mind.)

They are still unique, in that everything that goes into them comes out beautiful.

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #43,470 of 46,499
even though their soundstage is more consumer audio friendly
This aspect, I used to think they actually were below average in this department, but then I got to test a recording that is as wide as you would ever want with my HD 6XX. What was the result? They actually portrayed that soundstage in a way that impressed me, they elevated themselves to the same level of the HD 800 for that recording. Then I tested with other recordings of mine that are decently spacious and got similar results. What I want to say with this is they portray soundstage in a natural way (they seem to lack soundstage because they lack a lot of interaction with the ear resonances) and if the recording is not spacious in nature, they will sound intimate or even bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back