Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #42,736 of 46,499
My two cents worth...
I have 6XX from Drop, I got a pair of the Dekoni Elite Hybrid replacement ear pads. It was such an improvement, may I suggest using the Dekoni before making any comparative judgements. I put the stock pads back on, and after the Dekoni, the stock pads plunged the quality to an unacceptable level.

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #42,739 of 46,499
My two cents worth...
I have 6XX from Drop, I got a pair of the Dekoni Elite Hybrid replacement ear pads. It was such an improvement, may I suggest using the Dekoni before making any comparative judgements. I put the stock pads back on, and after the Dekoni, the stock pads plunged the quality to an unacceptable level.

How old are the stock pads on your 6XX and approximately how many hours do you have on them. In other words, are you comparing new Dekoni pads to worn HD6XX pads?

When I purchased my HD6XX I noticed quite a difference in sound between my old stock pads on my HD650 (3 yr old HD650 with at least 500 hours on them) and the new ones on the HD6XX. That alerted me that I should replace the pads on my HD650. I did but went for the Dekoni Elite Velour (base model). The Dekoni pads brought back the details that were missing when compared to the flattened out stock Sennheiser, however new stock Sennheiser pads do provide a bit more sparkle and detail. The Dekoni pads improved the bass to a more satisfying level which you will not get from the stock Sennheiser pads.

Jul 9, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #42,740 of 46,499
How old are the stock pads on your 6XX and approximately how many hours do you have on them. In other words, are you comparing new Dekoni pads to worn HD6XX pads?

When I purchased my HD6XX I noticed quite a difference in sound between my old stock pads on my HD650 (3 yr old HD650 with at least 500 hours on them) and the new ones on the HD6XX. That alerted me that I should replace the pads on my HD650. I did but went for the Dekoni Elite Velour (base model). The Dekoni pads brought back the details that were missing when compared to the flattened out stock Sennheiser, however, new stock Sennheiser pads do provide a bit more sparkle and detail. The Dekoni pads improved the bass to a more satisfying level which you will not get from the stock Sennheiser pads.
I had the Dekoni pads as soon as the 6XX arrived. I installed them and only returned to the brand new stock pads to confirm the improvement that the Dekoni made. The stock pads are in the Dekoni Box, and I have never looked back again.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #42,741 of 46,499
This is the first reference to what I call "tuning" the headphones, on this thread, and have wondered if I was the only one doing this. When I first put on the headphones, I make sure my ears are comfortable. I then move the headband forward and back on my head, until the ear cups align with my ears better, and the difference is quite noticeable. For example, if I am lying down, the pillow behind my head pushed the HPs forward a bit, and they sounded better. Likewise, when working at the computer, I find pushing the headband further back on my head seems to "open up" the sound.
I never posted about it because either I feared someone would say, "Yeah, we all do that" or a hue and cry might arise saying, "that's crazy".
It wasn't something I wanted from either.
I just thought it was my secret.

I am a bit confused. Which is your preferred position, pushed forward or back?

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #42,743 of 46,499

The way it sounds best to you.

What improvement have you found the Dekoni pads have over the stock pads soundwise?

Better bass, no reflection within the anechoic chamber which Dekoni creates.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #42,744 of 46,499
Basically if your ears are perfectly in the middle of the pads. It's hard having that position on with a pair that doesn't have much clamp, since they'll slide off your ears constantly after every few minutes, and a loss of openess, detail, timbre and a slightly shouty upper-mids comes to the sound.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #42,746 of 46,499
Hello guys!

I want to ask a question,

My Sennheiser HD 600 is currently broken.. The left side of the headphone does not work, only right side produces sound.
Funny thing is that, this happened when I was using it. So basically, I was listening to music and the left side just stop working by itself. Nothing happened actually, I didnt pull the cable or something like that, it just stopped working.

Is it repairable ? What caused this? The cable / the audio jack maybe? ( I changed the audio jack once )

Problem is, in my area it's very hard to find a good place to service my headphone :frowning2: . And if there is one, it will be so expensive.

I found a seller that sells chinese hd600 replacement cable for like only 10 dollars, I am kinda tempted to just buy this cable haha.
It will be much cheaper than the service cost I believe..
Do you think it's kinda wise to do this? Will it change the sound quality?

Thanks!!

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #42,747 of 46,499
Hello guys!

I want to ask a question,

My Sennheiser HD 600 is currently broken.. The left side of the headphone does not work, only right side produces sound.
Funny thing is that, this happened when I was using it. So basically, I was listening to music and the left side just stop working by itself. Nothing happened actually, I didnt pull the cable or something like that, it just stopped working.

Is it repairable ? What caused this? The cable / the audio jack maybe? ( I changed the audio jack once )

Problem is, in my area it's very hard to find a good place to service my headphone :frowning2: . And if there is one, it will be so expensive.

I found a seller that sells chinese hd600 replacement cable for like only 10 dollars, I am kinda tempted to just buy this cable haha.
It will be much cheaper than the service cost I believe..
Do you think it's kinda wise to do this? Will it change the sound quality?

Thanks!!
Switch the sides where the cables go in, that way you'll know whether it's the cable or the left side is just dead.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #42,748 of 46,499
Switch the sides where the cables go in, that way you'll know whether it's the cable or the left side is just dead.

So stupid of me! How could I not think about that?! Hahahah thank you very much!

I just tried to switch it anddd, unfortunately it's not the cable.
The left side still doesnt work.....

So what might be wrong with my beloved headphone :") ..

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #42,749 of 46,499
So stupid of me! How could I not think about that?! Hahahah thank you very much!

I just tried to switch it anddd, unfortunately it's not the cable.
The left side still doesnt work.....

So what might be wrong with my beloved headphone :") ..
I've head of some hd600's and hd650's having coil spring problems, it's a small part somewhere between the driver and cable that apparently goes bad sometimes. You might look into that, I'm not very educated on it.

There is also a pair on ebay that has a similar problem, you could buy them (but shipping may be expensive), or look for a similar pair and swap out the functioning driver. It would be very easy, these headphones are designed in a way that they can be disassembled very easily. The drivers might not be matched very well though when all is said and done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser...674523&hash=item5471cb0aa6:g:4CAAAOSwzfNdCAZr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back