Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #42,376 of 46,499
I found HE400i has a much larger soundstage than 6xx. Am I right?

I have the HD6XX and HE4XX (Massdrop versions), and I’m using a Schiit Lyr3 with a new production Tung-Sol tube.

As I understand the 4XX is very close to the 400i in sound, but as I haven’t heard the 400i I don’t know that for sure. Anyway, to my ears, comparing the HD6XX to the HE4XX in this setup, the 4XX might be wider, but not by a lot. The HD6XX on the other hand, has better imaging and placement of instruments and is also perhaps a little taller with better sense of depth to its stage.

Of course the phones each have their own different tonality aside from the stage, which one might like or dislike.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #42,377 of 46,499
I have the HD6XX and HE4XX (Massdrop versions), and I’m using a Schiit Lyr3 with a new production Tung-Sol tube.

As I understand the 4XX is very close to the 400i in sound, but as I haven’t heard the 400i I don’t know that for sure. Anyway, to my ears, comparing the HD6XX to the HE4XX in this setup, the 4XX might be wider, but not by a lot. The HD6XX on the other hand, has better imaging and placement of instruments and is also perhaps a little taller with better sense of depth to its stage.

Of course the phones each have their own different tonality aside from the stage, which one might like or dislike.
What is it you want to know.

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #42,378 of 46,499
You're hearing the planar vs dynamic exactly like I've heard it. That's the main reason I parted ways with planars. Lack of depth, and imaging. Dynamic cans absolutely kill it in holography.

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #42,379 of 46,499
Apr 27, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #42,380 of 46,499
You're hearing the planar vs dynamic exactly like I've heard it. That's the main reason I parted ways with planars. Lack of depth, and imaging. Dynamic cans absolutely kill it in holography.

Thanks for the info, that would mean that planars isn’t my thing either. When trying out different headphones (and also rolling tubes) I have discovered that to me the width and size of the soundstage, although nice when large, isn’t as important as holography, imaging and dynamics, something the HD6XX definitely has.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #42,381 of 46,499
Yep. I chased planars because of their speed and transient response. They are faster than dynamics but that's about it. Everything always seemed to be on the same plane soundstage wise. At one point I had the HD650, HD700, HE560 and HEXv1 running all on MJ2 for comparison. After 3 weeks , I knew then my journey with planars was over. Lol.
Out of those 4 the HD650 to me was the most holographic and immersive even though the stage wasn't as big as the rest. HD700 took the cake in stage size by a small margin over the HEX. And imo the HEX was the worst sounding of the bunch over all, and was the most expensive can I purchased. Says a lot about the 6 series competing with cans costing a lot more. The HD800 I disliked more than anything I've owned.
Cheers!
Thanks for the info, that would mean that planars isn’t my thing either. When trying out different headphones (and also rolling tubes) I have discovered that to me the width and size of the soundstage, although nice when large, isn’t as important as holography, imaging and dynamics, something the HD6XX definitely has.

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #42,382 of 46,499

@L0rdGwyn is right. Tube amplifiers hugely expand the soundstage. 6xx does not like SS amp.

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #42,383 of 46,499

I think it's not the issue of Dynamic vs Planar, but the ability of Sennheiser!!! I didn't find most dynamics has the holographic sound as Sennheiser products, like Byer's, AKG's etc. and those Chi-fi IEMs.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #42,384 of 46,499
I haven’t yet tried the HD660S so I can’t say about them, but otherwise I definitely think the holographic sound is an inherent trait of the Sennheiser HD6-line, with exception of the HD58X which to my ears has a very flat and left-to-right type of soundstage.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #42,385 of 46,499
I haven’t yet tried the HD660S so I can’t say about them, but otherwise I definitely think the holographic sound is an inherent trait of the Sennheiser HD6-line, with exception of the HD58X which to my ears has a very flat and left-to-right type of soundstage.

Yes. And not only the HD6 series, IE80 and IE800 are also much holographic than most IEMs.

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #42,386 of 46,499

Imaging on HD660 is big step up over HD650/600.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #42,389 of 46,499
To me, soundstage and imaging isn't the strong point of the HD 650. The natural sound is what makes them great.

The Beyerdynamic DT 150 has a noticably more 3D soundstage and more precise imaging.

The Sennheiser HD 540 Gold, is on a whole other level with 3D soundstage and imaging.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #42,390 of 46,499
To me, soundstage and imaging isn't the strong point of the HD 650. The natural sound is what makes them great.

The Beyerdynamic DT 150 has a noticably more 3D soundstage and more precise imaging.

The Sennheiser HD 540 Gold, is on a whole other level with 3D soundstage and imaging.
I know imaging is dependent on amps (source combo) as well, but in terms of more of a holography sounds, Hifiman's headphones tend to bring out this imaging characteristics. I think it's due to the way the drivers are configured, and the open nature for the sound to decay outwards. I find holography to be how the sound attacks when becomes present, and how it decays around itself. I usually found dynamics to have a a 'squished to the sound's edge' like imaging, which is a but skew'd. The imaging space has some sort of an elliptical space (and the contour differs by headphones), but for dynamics, the sounds gets pushed to the edge, whereas a Hifiman planar, you can hear the sound presence like close to reality, attacks and decays in both sides.

Amps and somewhat degree of DACs can change the imaging characteristics of the dynamics to a degree. If anybody has not tried Bottlehead crack OTL with speedball, I highly recommend trying to get an introductory to this interesting kind of imaging with dynamics that can be had. It's high impedance output, tranformerless, 120 ohms, so 300 ohm beyond headphones are recommended. There's good reasons why people often recommend the crack for 300 ohm and beyond dynamic driver headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back