Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #42,286 of 46,499
If I never heard any headphone but the HD650, I wouldn't have a thing to say about soundstage. It represents music & is entirely suitable/satisfactory IMO.

However, in comparing the HD650 to other headphones with really large, expansive soundstages (Eikon; HEX v2), the HD650's clearly is constrained comparatively. Maybe compact would be a better description.

People call the HD650's soundstage "intimate," and that's a pretty good description, either. No matter what it's called, I like and find it just right for the headphone.
I often call it intimate and think it is a good word for it. And even with tube amps it doesn’t open it up much. It is what it is a really good headphone that does mids very awesome.

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #42,287 of 46,499
I often call it intimate and think it is a good word for it. And even with tube amps it doesn’t open it up much. It is what it is a really good headphone that does mids very awesome.

Very true. And at the risk of wearing people out here, the HD650 I listen to was extensively modified by Jupiter Audio Research ("J-Mod"). I compared it to the stock headphone at some length in writing a review last year and totally liked stock. But the J-Mod is better, particularly in the treble, which now is really top-notch in every way; and the bass is slightly deeper and definitely tighter/higher resolution.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #42,288 of 46,499
Just a quick note to say hi and subscribe to this thread. I just picked up a pair of HD6XXs for the office, and I'm really happy with them so far. This is not my first experience with the HD650, but I "needed" a comfortable, easy-to-listen to headphone for long working sessions, and the HD6XX seemed like the perfect solution.

Now, I'm just a little worried they're going to be a very expensive purchase in the long-run. My chain right now: Bifrost MB -> Lyr 2 with Amperex Bugle Boy 6922 --> Oyaide 62HDX cable --> HD6XX. I've also got a vintage Yamaha CR2020 that I'll test them out with, too.

I'll try to get some actual pictures of my setup eventually, but for those unfamiliar with the cable, here's a quick pic. I'm not a believer in the magical effects of cabling, but the stock cable was too short for my application, and I am a fan of 1/4in connectors that *look* like they mean business:

eb_127764_01.jpg

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #42,289 of 46,499
Anyone have recommendations for detachable wireless microphone that can be stick onto the HD650? Am planning to get the Massdrop version and connect to my Topping DX7 via XLR 4-pin with custom cables along with a wireless mic for gaming. So far, i have seen online recommending Modmic 5 but its still wired though.

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #42,290 of 46,499
Just a quick note to say hi and subscribe to this thread. I just picked up a pair of HD6XXs for the office, and I'm really happy with them so far. This is not my first experience with the HD650, but I "needed" a comfortable, easy-to-listen to headphone for long working sessions, and the HD6XX seemed like the perfect solution.

Now, I'm just a little worried they're going to be a very expensive purchase in the long-run. My chain right now: Bifrost MB -> Lyr 2 with Amperex Bugle Boy 6922 --> Oyaide 62HDX cable --> HD6XX. I've also got a vintage Yamaha CR2020 that I'll test them out with, too.

I'll try to get some actual pictures of my setup eventually, but for those unfamiliar with the cable, here's a quick pic. I'm not a believer in the magical effects of cabling, but the stock cable was too short for my application, and I am a fan of 1/4in connectors that *look* like they mean business:
Why do you think it will be a very expensive purchase in the long-run? It looks like you have everything you need.
I run my HD6XX balanced out of a FiiO Q5 with stock amp module and I'm very satisfied both in terms or available volume and sound quality. I tried two desktop amps for comparison and they don't do anything more...
I think that people who always itch for a new "special " setup for this headphones either listen much too loud, need to compensate for hearing deficiencies, or they crave a different sound signature and try to achieve it that way. IMO the better approach for them would be to try different headphones.
I don't believe in the "infinite scaling" of the HD 650 / 6XX with "better" sources past a certain point. They don't run well out of a smartphone, but you don't need rocket science gear either. Of course people that have and use that gear will tell you otherwise because they need to justify their purchase.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #42,291 of 46,499
Very true. And at the risk of wearing people out here, the HD650 I listen to was extensively modified by Jupiter Audio Research ("J-Mod"). I compared it to the stock headphone at some length in writing a review last year and totally liked stock. But the J-Mod is better, particularly in the treble, which now is really top-notch in every way; and the bass is slightly deeper and definitely tighter/higher resolution.
Is the treble more controlled/less grainy with the J-mod, compared to stock?

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #42,292 of 46,499
Why do you think it will be a very expensive purchase in the long-run? It looks like you have everything you need.
I run my HD6XX balanced out of a FiiO Q5 with stock amp module and I'm very satisfied both in terms or available volume and sound quality. I tried two desktop amps for comparison and they don't do anything more...
I think that people who always itch for a new "special " setup for this headphones either listen much too loud, need to compensate for hearing deficiencies, or they crave a different sound signature and try to achieve it that way. IMO the better approach for them would be to try different headphones.
I don't believe in the "infinite scaling" of the HD 650 / 6XX with "better" sources past a certain point. They don't run well out of a smartphone, but you don't need rocket science gear either. Of course people that have and use that gear will tell you otherwise because they need to justify their purchase.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My comment re: the HD6XX being expensive was mostly tongue-in-cheek, and I agree with you that headphones make a far bigger change than sources.

My situation is only made a little trickier by a potential move that would put the Bifrost / Lyr 2 in a different location, and then I'd have some decisions to make about how to drive the HD6XX and how far down the rabbit hole I want to go.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #42,293 of 46,499
Is the treble more controlled/less grainy with the J-mod, compared to stock?

Answer is a qualfied yes: qualified because I didn't hear the stock HD650's treble as grainy. I thought it was rather nice.

But in comparison, the treble of the J-Mod is considerably better: definitely more controlled/less resonant; also IMO slightly higher in level & resolution. It sits above that wonderful midrange (both stock & J-Mod have great mids) w/more authority & presence/definition than the stock HP's treble does.

The J-Mod's treble is among the best I've heard from any headphone, regardless of price or design.

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #42,294 of 46,499
I googled up JMod HD650, it looks like the mods I've done before to HD650, among others, but a step farther.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #42,295 of 46,499
4256C8C3-A748-49EE-B18A-5340455FD369.jpeg
Just got a Darkvoice 336 se and hooked it to the hd6xx. Never going back to ss. Using Rca 6as7 black plates and a GE 6sn7gtb preamp tube and its great for the price. Got it from Massdrop and even with aftermarket tubes its less than the stock price on Amazon. Took the hd6xx to another level for my preference. Its great for chilling in the Daddy’s chair hehe

Apr 7, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #42,296 of 46,499
Just got a Darkvoice 336 se and hooked it to the hd6xx. Never going back to ss. Using Rca 6as7 black plates and a GE 6sn7gtb preamp tube and its great for the price. Got it from Massdrop and even with aftermarket tubes its less than the stock price on Amazon. Took the hd6xx to another level for my preference. Its great for chilling in the Daddy’s chair hehe

Great picture!

Can you describe the improvement over solid state? Power, clarity, headroom, etc? Did the RCA and GE tubes make a significant difference in the sound vs stock?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #42,297 of 46,499
Great picture!

Can you describe the improvement over solid state? Power, clarity, headroom, etc? Did the RCA and GE tubes make a significant difference in the sound vs stock?
I can’t give you a complete apples to apples comparison to my ss setup as even though I’m using the same dac, I’ve got it setup a bit different. I’ve also not even used the stock tubes, they are still in the bag lol. What I can say is that when using my thxaaa 789 amp, smsl m9 dac, and the hd6xx I kept having to tweak with the loki eq to get rid of simblance. I was using it balanced with a fanmusic cable.

The 789 balanced and darkvoice in se have similar power outputs so at least that aspect is close, but the 789 and hd6xx did feel much more closed in. The bass extended lower though and was more controlled with the 789. When I started using my m9 with my iphone the m9 actually improved it significantly, ut I did not use the 789 after I found this out. I’ve switched from the m9 using rca out to the darkvoice to the internal se out of the m9 just last night and after having been enjoying the tubes for a bit over an hour I remember my first thoughts vividly. It was wth is this trash!? Immediately went back to the tube.

The tube does make things sound quite a bit different. Way more apparent than switching to other ss amps. I’ve noticed some songs sound vastly different than on ss while others or not as dramatic. Sound stage seems larger, but the music also seems more forceful and present. I’ve actually not the right understanding or vocab to decribe it accurately so for that I apologize. All I can really say is that tubes definitely sound different, and whether or not that is a good thing is up to the listener. Right now I’m hooked, but who knows that could change?

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #42,298 of 46,499
Where does one get replacement ear pads in the US? Or are there third party replacements that don't alter the sound noticeably?

EDIT: just kidding! I found them with about two seconds of googling. (I don't know why I couldn't find them before.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back