Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #41,821 of 46,499
I don't think HD6XX is HD650, at least not an older version I've had. If there has been update to the driver over the years to HD6XX, I'm quite ok with it (I much prefer it over what I recall of the HD650). I just wish Sennheiser can just be transparent about it if it was the case.

I wish somebody can confirm. Maybe somebody has some evidence from the internals?
if the usual variations are within the range of variation they always had on the hd650, then there is no reason not to treat them as the same headphones. before wondering why they don't communicate on the changes you feel you have on your pair, I believe it would be relevant to learn about the manufacturing standard for a hd650 or hd6xx. we know they try to match left and right drivers within +/-1dB when paring them, but what is the accepted range of responses before a driver is deemed defective and just discarded, instead of being put aside waiting for a close sibling to be matched with? same for final construction and pads, I have no idea what tolerances they follow.
the few measurements I've seen certainly look like what I've gotten used to expect from a hd650. but I don't know how much effort was put into trying to get the same signature by the people making those measurements, so I'll reserve my judgement on that.

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #41,823 of 46,499
if the usual variations are within the range of variation they always had on the hd650, then there is no reason not to treat them as the same headphones. before wondering why they don't communicate on the changes you feel you have on your pair, I believe it would be relevant to learn about the manufacturing standard for a hd650 or hd6xx. we know they try to match left and right drivers within +/-1dB when paring them, but what is the accepted range of responses before a driver is deemed defective and just discarded, instead of being put aside waiting for a close sibling to be matched with? same for final construction and pads, I have no idea what tolerances they follow.
the few measurements I've seen certainly look like what I've gotten used to expect from a hd650. but I don't know how much effort was put into trying to get the same signature by the people making those measurements, so I'll reserve my judgement on that.
82a6d0770aeaafbae8f26bf40a822b9b79a5c412.png

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #41,824 of 46,499
Try out the HD700 first. They are very polarizing.

Some people hate them a lot and think they sound **** but some people love them and think they're phenomenal.

They *are* polarizing. I had a pair for years, but gave them away to a family member because I grew tired of the sound. And this was with an OTL amp.

There is a dip in the upper-mids that sounds unnatural to my ears. There is a treble spike, similar to the HD-800 (?), but that never really bothered me. I have seen frequency graphs that show a similar mid-range dip in the HD-800, which has removed those cans from my wishlist.

However, the bass is tight, smooth and really fantastic - a huge improvement over the HD-650, IMO, but I found myself using them only for large scale classical ... and then just less and less.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #41,825 of 46,499
HD580 Precision. It has the dark material for the vent compared to the newer white ones. Also on the previous video, Tyll points out that HD650 driver is multi-layerd diaphragm compared to HD600, which looks indistinguishable.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #41,829 of 46,499
I just pulled the trigger on a used pair of 650s, really excited , I hope to have them by end of the week.
I ll mainly use them for those recordings where the 800S sounds less than forgiving but I have high hopes for them in general :)

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #41,830 of 46,499
I just pulled the trigger on a used pair of 650s, really excited , I hope to have them by end of the week.
I ll mainly use them for those recordings where the 800S sounds less than forgiving but I have high hopes for them in general :)

Make sure to give yourself a lot of time to adjust if you're not sure on them straight away, they are very good for poor recording and masterings (most of my collection LOL)

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #41,831 of 46,499

If you find the earpads are somewhat old and used up I'd recommend you get new ones. I buy the original/ authentic pads from Thomann.de, online since Sennheiser Canada does not sell any. Personally I find that new pads or ones in good shape make a difference in sound quality.

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #41,833 of 46,499
Since having Audio-GD Compass 2 - my HD6xx blossoms like never :) best setup I ever had. next step is kiss mod and silver dragon cable :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #41,834 of 46,499
Try out the HD700 first. They are very polarizing.

Some people hate them a lot and think they sound **** but some people love them and think they're phenomenal.
I was able to listen to mine for one hour before I put them back in the box and packed them for return. The way I see it... It's not that they aren't forgiving for poorly mastered tracks but it makes even flat neutral tracks sound bad if it happens to have content around where the HD 700 has issues. To my ears at least. One should definitely listen to them before buying (and try multiple different tracks).

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #41,835 of 46,499
If you find the earpads are somewhat old and used up I'd recommend you get new ones. I buy the original/ authentic pads from Thomann.de, online since Sennheiser Canada does not sell any. Personally I find that new pads or ones in good shape make a difference in sound quality.

First off charging $49 for something that couldn't cost more than $5 to produce is outrageous. Then add another $75 for shipping for something that weighs next to nothing is unbelievable. Add insult to injury Sennheiser Canada doesn't sell something as basic as replacement ear pads!

Hey Sennheiser thanks for the excellent way you treat your customers...NOT!!!

https://www.thomann.de/intl/ca/basket.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back