Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #40,756 of 46,499
Great post & pictures, @DavidA ! Ingenious (and daring) use of a table vise there...

No, I haven't tried a tube amp, at least not in this "desktop audio" iteration of my audio career (years ago I had big tube amps & preamp in LR system). I'm on the slo-mo hunt for a Woo WA3 (ideally w/preamp outs so I can hear speakers on it, too). I understand that medium/high impedance headphones like the HD650 really go to the next level on an OTL tube design.

My desktop environment is very crowded; I'll have to build a new wooden platform to go on top of another, to make "real estate" for even a medium sized tube amp like the Woo. Full-size amps like Glenn or Kenzie are out of the question here...also too expensive for me.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #40,757 of 46,499
@Pharmaboy, I fully understand the "real estate" issue, my GF keeps bugging me to sell stuff so she as a place for a glass of wine and some picking food on the living room table which just happens to be my listening table. I think when I get around to enclosing the lanai I'll move all my headphone gear out there and it'll free up the living room table but I've been so busy helping out a friend doing design/construction work that I haven't had time to figure out how I want to enclose the lanai yet.

I think you might really like the changes a tube amp makes for the HD650 but remember that the tubes used play an important part in how many amps are perceived. Depending on the tubes used my BH Crack can be that warm romantic sounding amp that many associate with a tube amp but with other tubes it can be neutral to some times even bright sounding so just getting a tube amp is only half the battle, finding the tubes that give you the sound you want is the second part.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #40,758 of 46,499
Ee
2B19367F-68E0-4EF3-B22B-0AB8008EAD66.jpeg
el3n set amp built by glenn2359. Just a wonderful sounding amp & fantastic w/ 650’s

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #40,759 of 46,499
Still don’t like the hd 650 and Mojo so much, still searching for an amp (or a dac/amp) that is muscolar for the hd 650.

The better seem the crack but it’s too lightly (in the bedroom in the summer could be a problem) and too big (for bedroom purposes).

Can tell me other stuff the pair wonderful with hd 650 less polite than mojo and very muscolar? The Jot seem too “dry” for some and it’s a little big.

Budget say 500/700 dollars.
Dude.. Idsd Black Edition is Beast Mode with these cans.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #40,760 of 46,499
I read all your very good advices, examining the form factors and the sound signature. I will avoid the Jot because it's a little on the "bright" side of neutrality. I will avoid the tube amplifiers because I want to use this setup in my bedroom and need something not too big and not too lightly and not too Dangerous for the warmest of the tubes.

Idsd Black Edition is Beast Mode with these cans.

This device for form factor could be good. Also, it owns a DAC itself. I already have a good dac (Mojo) but I am more calm if I will use a chain without messing with cables that can decrease the quality. We are speaking about "Micro iDSD Black Label USB DAC" right?

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #40,761 of 46,499
I've bent the sliders as close to the ear cups as possible by using table vise so that I could control the amount of bend easily.

OMG, I won't use that tool but then I can continue to bend them more until I find the comfort.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #40,762 of 46,499
I read all your very good advices, examining the form factors and the sound signature. I will avoid the Jot because it's a little on the "bright" side of neutrality. I will avoid the tube amplifiers because I want to use this setup in my bedroom and need something not too big and not too lightly and not too Dangerous for the warmest of the tubes.

This device for form factor could be good. Also, it owns a DAC itself. I already have a good dac (Mojo) but I am more calm if I will use a chain without messing with cables that can decrease the quality. We are speaking about "Micro iDSD Black Label USB DAC" right?
Yup. And I'm now understanding your just looking for an amp. So yeah, maybe not the best choice.

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #40,764 of 46,499
That's an impressive looking piece of kit you have there!.

Well, this is all I could afford, but at least it sounds impressive.

0201180845.jpg

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #40,767 of 46,499
Again, I never did like the HD650 much, but it is so easy to listen to out of the Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII, with some more neutral tubes it is a match made in heaven :D

DSC_9878.jpg

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #40,768 of 46,499
Been using the HD650 with the Matrix M-Stage but I blew up the amp in some ways.
I'm looking at a cheap replacement amp now with the HD650. Between a used Schiit Magni 2 or Graham Solo Novo for the same price, which might be a better synergy?

I hope someone can advise, thanks!

Feb 10, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #40,769 of 46,499
Been using the HD650 with the Matrix M-Stage but I blew up the amp in some ways.
I'm looking at a cheap replacement amp now with the HD650. Between a used Schiit Magni 2 or Graham Solo Novo for the same price, which might be a better synergy?

I hope someone can advise, thanks!

Solo or Novo?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/a-direct-comparison-of-graham-slee-novo-and-solo.382967/

something to read if you haven't already
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-or-graham-slee-or-lehmann-or-violectric.680367/

I haven't heard either amp, but I would definitely go for the Slee if they were the same price (I'm assuming<<$100) if nothing else it will have a better resale if you move on.
Why not repair the M-Stage? or weren't you liking it much.

Several threads here that look at Slees, e.g.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/graham-slee-novo.616542/

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #40,770 of 46,499
The diaphragm on my right driver/capsule has a small collapsed part on it and now my lows & mids are noticably lopsided, apparently it's possible to suck it back to normal ... so long as you don't overdo it. Is this actually a viable method of repair or am I better off getting a replacement capsule?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back