Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #40,428 of 46,499
Dec 27, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #40,429 of 46,499
Check out my post here showing some sheepskin pads and how to install them.

It seem they are not easy to get here in Italy.

What do you think about the cheaper model that I linked? Does somebody knows this brand?

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #40,430 of 46,499
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #40,431 of 46,499
They look stock to me, but I've only looked briefly online to see what kind of mods people are doing on these. I did notice that the text in the center of one of the drivers (28.06.17 MiniSys and some other number) is upside-down on the right side, but correct on the left. RickB, that sounds plausible.
this is the hologram sticker you want to look for:
Hologram sticker.jpg
Its on the right side driver

Dec 27, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #40,432 of 46,499
Dec 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #40,433 of 46,499
HD650 is not listed, it’s ok the same?
Yes, but the Brainwavz don't include any mechanism to attach to hd650s. You have to do what I did in my post I shared with you; remove the plastic ring from either your stock pads or a cheap set from ebay (with the plastic rings) and then use those rings to attach the pads.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #40,434 of 46,499
this is the hologram sticker you want to look for:

Its on the right side driver
Thanks...they're at work (locked in my drawer) but I vaguely remember seeing something like that on the cup. I take it these were manufactured fairly recently, given the June date printed on the drivers.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #40,435 of 46,499
The first thing to consider is if you have a decent amp (BH Crack or similar) to pair with the HD600/HD650/HD6XX since all 3 do respond to and need a decent/good amp to sound their best. If you don't want to bother with an amp the HD660S is the better choice.

IMO the HD6XX with a good amp (MicroZOTL2, EC ZDS, Elise, or Icon HP-8 Mk2 - all with updated tubes) sounded the best all around with the HD650 right behind. The HD6XX on a good amp matches the HD660S in bass quality and quantity to me and is a more musical sounding headphone due to the mids being more present and smoother sounding.
Technically the HD660S is superior but its not as engaging musically to me. I wrote a little more about my day with the HD660S here and if you follow the thread I did write a little more about the HD660S.

FWIW the headphones that I use the most are my custom built Ypsilon R1, custom built Nhoord Red V2, EL-8 open and Stax SRD-34 (slightly modded) and its due to the first 3 being very easy to drive and sounding great out of any device while the Stax is on my gaming system driven by Teac AH-01 speaker taps having great sound stage and positional clues, very smooth detailed highs and nice tight bass (doesn't have the slam for some genres but not bad).

Pedro, for you I'd suggest a Ypsilon G1 custom built headphone since it has the bass that you are asking about, has very good resolution and is a very musically sounding headphone but it will cost $350 to $500 depending on parts used and since its a DIY build might not be practical for you.
Thank you very much once again David. The ypsilon is probably not an option for since i am not that good with manual works.... :D

To be honest i like to keep my setups as easy and simple as possible so yes i like to avoid using amps. Usually i plug my headphones to an ipad or something like that and i am done.... maybe the hd660s would be the best choice for me but there are 2 problems.... first a fellow headfier from portugal who heard the 3 as well told me the hd660s is the more steryle sounding of all 3 and like you he said that the other 2 have much more potential for scaling while the hd660s does not scale at all.

The second problem is pricing. In europe the hd660s costs 499 euros, the hd650 319. Are the hd660s worth 180 euros more? Doubt it. I dont doubt they might be better but if the hd650 as a simiar bass response, is more musical and better all dounder, if it has more potential with amps... for 180 euros less i think it is a no brainer.... am i missing something or am i wrong?

I only have a fiio e12.... would this amp help the hd650 to make them sound decent?

Cheers.... :)

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #40,436 of 46,499
To be honest i like to keep my setups as easy and simple as possible so yes i like to avoid using amps. Usually i plug my headphones to an ipad or something like that and i am done.... maybe the hd660s would be the best choice for me but there are 2 problems.... first a fellow headfier from portugal who heard the 3 as well told me the hd660s is the more steryle sounding of all 3 and like you he said that the other 2 have much more potential for scaling while the hd660s does not scale at all.
I'm not david but I could not help reading you post. From a outsider looking in, it seems like you are running circles. If you do not like buying and using amps, then it would seem to me that it does not matter if the hd650 scales better than the hd660. Score one for the hd660 !

The second problem is pricing. In europe the hd660s costs 499 euros, the hd650 319. Are the hd660s worth 180 euros more? Doubt it. I dont doubt they might be better but if the hd650 as a simiar bass response, is more musical and better all dounder, if it has more potential with amps... for 180 euros less i think it is a no brainer.... am i missing something or am i wrong?
If you don't like to pay extra for nice amps for the hd650, then yes the 180 euros is worth it for the hd660, that is a big part of the hd660 that you don't have to have a costly amp. Score 2 for the hd660 ! By everything you are saying it looks like the hd660 would be the obvious choice.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #40,437 of 46,499
Honestly if you want good sound in the long run I'd say get the 650 and get an amp/DAC setup in the future. Buying something out of compromise for the current situation is sort of a false economy because in the future you'll upgrade anyway to something that scales better with better equipment. But if you've tested both and prefers the 660 with equipment you're planning in the future then go ahead.

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #40,438 of 46,499
@Pedro Oliveira , I agree with @lugnut on the choice of the HD660S over the HD650 if you don't want to spend for a decent/good amp for the HD650. The 180 euros difference might actually be cheaper than getting a decent amp that would drive the HD650 to where I would consider it better than the HD650. The amps that I used to compare the HD650 and HD660S that made the HD650 sound better than the HD660S to me were all over $600 (BH Crack w/ upgraded tubes & caps, Icon HP8 mk2, EC ZDS, MicroZOTL2, Elise) but I'm sure there are other cheaper amps like the LittleDot line, Vali2, Ember, Elemental Watson, Starlight, Solstice and a few others that may work just as well that I just haven't spent much time trying out.

As for the Ypsilon G1 there are a few that do custom builds and do some great work so if you want to go this route then send me a PM. A few pictures of some of my builds:
G1_image-3.jpg
Ypsilon G1 build that I've sold

Ypsilon_R1-2.jpg
My current Ypsilon R1 build

Attachments

• Ypsilon_original-3.jpg
    Ypsilon_original-3.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #40,439 of 46,499
Honestly if you want good sound in the long run I'd say get the 650 and get an amp/DAC setup in the future. Buying something out of compromise for the current situation is sort of a false economy because in the future you'll upgrade anyway to something that scales better with better equipment. But if you've tested both and prefers the 660 with equipment you're planning in the future then go ahead.

Maybe... but just my two cents here: I like my HD 650 a great deal just out of budget amps like my Bravo Audio Ocean and Magni 3, and a more expensive amp isn’t anywhere on the radar.

If the price of the HD 660 was a little lower and it had been out when I bought my 650 (late Spring 2017), I might have sprung for that instead.

I wouldn’t assume it’s inevitable just based on the 650’s synergy with better amps that a 650 owner will inevitably pair it with one such amp, I think it sounds great out of el cheapo amps. :)

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #40,440 of 46,499
I own AKG K812, Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, Shure SRH1540, Sennheiser HD650, and Audioquest Nighthawks. The Nighthawks are the absolute best sounding headphones on my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana...in fairness, the Sennheiser HD650s are not burned in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back