Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #40,411 of 46,497
One reason the HD660S is a good choice for many is that it sounds good/great on a wider range of gear compared to the HD650 so if you don't want to deal with amps then the HD660S is a no-brainer choice. If you are willing to go with a OTL tube amp like a BH Crack or other decent / good amp to me the HD650 is a touch better all around IMO.

Does somebody paired 660s with the mojo vs HD650 with a good amp?

Dec 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #40,412 of 46,497
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #40,413 of 46,497
You might want to ask this in the HD660S threads:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd660s-finally-a-successor-for-the-hd650.862308/page-122
or
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meet-the-sennheiser-hd-660-s.862720/page-21

My impression of the HD660S is that it doesn't need any help from a Mojo or any amp since its quite efficient and I didn't notice that it scaled much.

Dear David, now that you tried all of the 6xx family, could you specify a bit more on the the 600 and 650 vs the hd660?

Specially the 650 vs 660.

Wich sounds Fuller? wich hits harder and wich hás more pronounced bass? Wich to you feels like the more musical and the.better all rounder?

Wich in your opinion is the overall best and superior headphone technically (resolution)?

Sorry for the bother.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #40,414 of 46,497
Dear David, now that you tried all of the 6xx family, could you specify a bit more on the the 600 and 650 vs the hd660?

Wich sounds Fuller? wich hits harder and wich hás more pronounced bass? Wich to you feels like the more musical and the.better all rounder?

Wich in your opinion is the overall best and superior headphone technically (resolution)?

Sorry for the bother.

I’m interesting if Hd650 to Hd660s is an upgrade considering the Mojo as dac amp.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #40,415 of 46,497
Dec 27, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #40,416 of 46,497

Sorry for the bother.

The first thing to consider is if you have a decent amp (BH Crack or similar) to pair with the HD600/HD650/HD6XX since all 3 do respond to and need a decent/good amp to sound their best. If you don't want to bother with an amp the HD660S is the better choice.

IMO the HD6XX with a good amp (MicroZOTL2, EC ZDS, Elise, or Icon HP-8 Mk2 - all with updated tubes) sounded the best all around with the HD650 right behind. The HD6XX on a good amp matches the HD660S in bass quality and quantity to me and is a more musical sounding headphone due to the mids being more present and smoother sounding.
Technically the HD660S is superior but its not as engaging musically to me. I wrote a little more about my day with the HD660S here and if you follow the thread I did write a little more about the HD660S.

FWIW the headphones that I use the most are my custom built Ypsilon R1, custom built Nhoord Red V2, EL-8 open and Stax SRD-34 (slightly modded) and its due to the first 3 being very easy to drive and sounding great out of any device while the Stax is on my gaming system driven by Teac AH-01 speaker taps having great sound stage and positional clues, very smooth detailed highs and nice tight bass (doesn't have the slam for some genres but not bad).

Pedro, for you I'd suggest a Ypsilon G1 custom built headphone since it has the bass that you are asking about, has very good resolution and is a very musically sounding headphone but it will cost $350 to $500 depending on parts used and since its a DIY build might not be practical for you.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #40,417 of 46,497
Joined the club last week, since I found a used pair (20140120REV01 version) and had a few gift cards I wanted to use. I'm coming from the AT M40x and these are my first real open-back headphones. I can definitely tell a difference overall, but am not knowledgeable enough to hammer that down into specific points. I'm currently listening to the new King Gizzard album (FLAC), so let's just say I'm very impressed and I'm happy haven't POed my neighboring coworkers (yet). I plan to use these with my Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, since I don't have the desk space or budget for a full-fledged amp, however, I forgot the DF at home the last two days. I've been connecting these to my Satechi headphone holder/USB hub and only had to raise the volume in Windows by 5 or 10 steps to get what I want. That seems fairly impressive to me. Now I just need a shorter cable so I don't roll over it.

I do want clarity on one thing: there are ZERO documented cases of HD650 counterfeits, right? Thought it strange that my pair doesn't have a serial number sticker inside either ear cup, which I thought it was supposed to have based on some online research. There's a SN sticker and the holofoil Sennheiser authentic sticker on the bottom of the box, so I'm fairly sure I'm fine.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #40,418 of 46,497
About the comfort adjustment of the headband (I find them too tight), that are explained here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured.438898/

Due to my not perfect english I am afraid to fracture them during the adjustment.

There is a video or some pictures with explaining of that?
This picture might help you:
HD650 headband.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #40,419 of 46,497
Joined the club last week, since I found a used pair (20140120REV01 version) and had a few gift cards I wanted to use. I'm coming from the AT M40x and these are my first real open-back headphones. I can definitely tell a difference overall, but am not knowledgeable enough to hammer that down into specific points. I'm currently listening to the new King Gizzard album (FLAC), so let's just say I'm very impressed and I'm happy haven't POed my neighboring coworkers (yet). I plan to use these with my Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2, since I don't have the desk space or budget for a full-fledged amp, however, I forgot the DF at home the last two days. I've been connecting these to my Satechi headphone holder/USB hub and only had to raise the volume in Windows by 5 or 10 steps to get what I want. That seems fairly impressive to me. Now I just need a shorter cable so I don't roll over it.

I do want clarity on one thing: there are ZERO documented cases of HD650 counterfeits, right? Thought it strange that my pair doesn't have a serial number sticker inside either ear cup, which I thought it was supposed to have based on some online research. There's a SN sticker and the holofoil Sennheiser authentic sticker on the bottom of the box, so I'm fairly sure I'm fine.
Since you got a used pair the drivers may have been replaced and would therefor not have the sticker on the right side under the grill. Or did the previous owner do any mods to them?

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #40,420 of 46,497

My HD650s, bought new a little over a year ago from Amazon, didn't come with serial number stickers inside either cup.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #40,421 of 46,497
Since you got a used pair the drivers may have been replaced and would therefor not have the sticker on the right side under the grill. Or did the previous owner do any mods to them?
They look stock to me, but I've only looked briefly online to see what kind of mods people are doing on these. I did notice that the text in the center of one of the drivers (28.06.17 MiniSys and some other number) is upside-down on the right side, but correct on the left. RickB, that sounds plausible.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #40,422 of 46,497
The HD650s I bought on June 4th 2016 from Amazon have the holo sticker inside the cup.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #40,424 of 46,497
Just got my replacement stock pads from Sennheiser. I don't know if they're doing different iterations or if I needed to get more hours into the ones that ship with the original package but these are a lot softer. They feel really comfortable. I don't remember the 650s feeling this good on my head. They just hug my face with this nice warm velour but not super firm. I really enjoy it. Mids have come back in full force as before. I love this can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back