Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #39,993 of 46,499

Charging $240 for a balanced cable...obviously that isn't a STOCK REPLACEMENT cable. But hey if you can afford it, go for it. As I mentioned there are many after market cables out there and the sky is the limit when it comes to prices.

This is the stock replacement cable. I simply requested that Sennheiser produce this same cable with an XLR 4 pin connector (approximate cost $4) as another offering:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/82114/...er/Replacement-Cable-for-HD650-Headphones.htm

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #39,994 of 46,499
Does anyone know if this HD 700 cable is 4 conductors?Sorry! if this is the wrong place to asked.
Thanks!
While I didn't cut my HD700 cable the Sennheiser site does say its a 4-wire copper cable, but with it being so kinky I wouldn't use it for anything.

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #39,996 of 46,499
yeah listen to the official site is a very wise move, it might be a 3-wire cable
Went to check my HD700 cable, its feels like the HD650 cable that has a sleeve over it, you can feel to wires though the sleeve so its as Senn has noted a 4-wire cable.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #39,997 of 46,499
I would suggest getting an app for your smart phone to check to see how loud (dB level) you listen at. If you are under 85dB at peaks the Fulla2 should be good for listening at that level, this doesn't mean that its the best sounding amp for the HD650 but at this point its a personal preference, as an example: I have a Lyr2, Asgard2, BH Crack and Project Ember, all are capable of driving the HD650 to really high dB levels but I prefer the way the BH Crack and HD650 sound together, its what I consider good synergy between the amp and headphone but my GF likes the pairing of the Lyr2 + HD650, to her the BH Crack is too smooth in the highs, treble does not have a sharp edge which the Lyr2 has.

I don't know if returning the Fulla2 and getting just the Magni3 would be that much of an improvement if any over the Fulla2, I could be wrong since I don't have access to a Fulla2 but the Magni3 that I got to listen with yesterday is an impressive amp for one Benjamin.
Thanks again guys.

So just to make sure I get it all:

When you say that Fulla 2's 40mW/channel RMS is too weak for the HD650 at high volume, it doesn't mean that the Fulla can't make them loud enough - but that it's not able to make the most of their potential sound quality, right?

As far as loudness is concerned, it makes them unbearably loud but I guess that's not what it's all about

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #39,998 of 46,499
Thanks again guys.

So just to make sure I get it all:

When you say that Fulla 2's 40mW/channel RMS is too weak for the HD650 at high volume, it doesn't mean that the Fulla can't make them loud enough - but that it's not able to make the most of their potential sound quality, right?

As far as loudness is concerned, it makes them unbearably loud but I guess that's not what it's all about
you got it :ksc75smile:

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #40,000 of 46,499

Correct, the amp speaker relationship is not just about driving to "some desired volume level" for the audiophile, it's about the control of the drivers diaphragm, especially at higher volume. If you've ever heard the terms headroom and effortless, these are words used when talking about an amps ability to drive a speaker or headphone well.
Headroom is about having more power in reserve than is needed to drive a speaker or headphone to a certain level so that the amp is nowhere near its power limits, because as an amp reaches the limits of its power, nasty sounds happen. Effortless is a word that is closely related to headroom because it's something people say when they listen to a speaker or headphone that is being driven to a satisfying volume level and there is no hint that the amp is distorting or straining to deliver power.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #40,001 of 46,499
I just want to shorten the HD700 stock cable and terminate it to 4 pin XLR,The cable looks decent reminds me of my Grandma's vacuum cleaner cable from the 60's.:)

Thnaks!Guys
Sound wise it might be a good cable but the physical properties are really bad, I tried a few ways to straighten them out but gave up after a few months and the sleeve was a little microphonic to my GF with some of her shirts

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #40,002 of 46,499
hey guys, new here.

will the new LG v30 drive these without the need for a separate DAC/Amp? any input would be appreciated.

I would suspect you'd be disappointed, if you skipped proper amplification. There is an HD660s, which should be easier to drive. But it hasn't hit the market yet, so real listening impressions are basically non existent. Jude is the only one I'm aware of who has a pair...

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #40,003 of 46,499
...There is an HD660s, which should be easier to drive...
The sensitivity would appear to be similar to the HD650, ~104dB from 1V, and, the HD650 being twice the impedance of the HD660s, it would only take half the current - so, easier to drive.

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #40,004 of 46,499
hey guys, new here.

will the new LG v30 drive these without the need for a separate DAC/Amp? any input would be appreciated.
I've tried the HD650s with my V20 and found the sound quite adequate, compared to the O2+ODAC.
Which led me to buy the HD6xx which I will use solely with the V20.

Now, I don't know the output of the V30 compared to the V20, but if it's close to V20s 2Vrms it should suffice, in my opinion.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #40,005 of 46,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back