Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #39,331 of 46,499
SO is the clean desk policy while you are at work or when you leave?

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #39,332 of 46,499
That's my issue, next month at my office they will be implementing a clean desk policy (which sucks) before that I was thinking about a Modi2/Magni2 uber option for my desk... I don't exactly need something with battery, just something I can carry on my backpack in some way

Audio-gd NFB11.28 is quite small in footprint and pairs well with HD6XX.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #39,334 of 46,499
I will be getting my HD6XXs on december, meanwhile I'm trying to choose the best option for DAC/AMP for about $500 - $600, I need something that I can carry from my home to the office with ease.
After some research I heard about the Chord Mojo and the Ifi iDSD Black Label as possible options, what do you guys think? Do they make justice to the HD6XXs? Any recommendation?
Thanks
You might want to fill in your profile so others can give you better feed back / suggestions to your question.
What will be your source that you will use to connect to the DAC/amp? If you don't have a source yet then getting a DAP that can drive the HD6XX without the need for a external DAC/amp might be a better way to go.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #39,335 of 46,499
Jot's big but not that big, like a thick hardback book. You would just use USB when using it at the office so very tidy and easy to transport. I've heard excellent things about the geekout amp/DACs as well. They even have balanced output.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #39,336 of 46,499
There is a debate on whether the mojo can drive the hd 650 correctly. I dont personally know. I know the Hugo can.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #39,337 of 46,499
You might want to fill in your profile so others can give you better feed back / suggestions to your question.
What will be your source that you will use to connect to the DAC/amp? If you don't have a source yet then getting a DAP that can drive the HD6XX without the need for a external DAC/amp might be a better way to go.
Sorry you are right, I will be using my laptop from work which by they way have a crappy soundcard, If also I can drive my smartphone (Samsung s7) it would be amazing

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #39,338 of 46,499
Sorry you are right, I will be using my laptop from work which by they way have a ****ty soundcard, If also I can drive my smartphone (Samsung s7) it would be amazing
If you are using a usb dac the sound card does not matter.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #39,341 of 46,499
How about the Aune x1s or an objective o2 odac?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #39,342 of 46,499
Sorry you are right, I will be using my laptop from work which by they way have a ****ty soundcard, If also I can drive my smartphone (Samsung s7) it would be amazing
You might want to re-think your strategy here: I would suggest a second pair of headphones that can be driven by either the laptop or you phone for your work environment and use the HD6XX only at home since the HD6XX does not fold up and is quite large to be transporting every day. If your budget is $500-600 then you could get the Mimby + Vali2 for home (about $450) or Jot + internal DAC ($500) which would leave you $100 to $150 for your work headphone. A few friends have gotten used Momentums which are decent sounding and a reasonable portable substitute for the HD650.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #39,343 of 46,499
Yup I heard that a couple of times from different sources, what's the word on the iDSD?

I find the CEntrance Dacport Slim drives my HD650s pretty well, has a decent dac (ak4490) and a class A headphone amp in a very small package (smaller than a pack of orbit gum). Only downside is you have to install a driver from CEntrance so if your work has your machines locked down it might be an issue. You can probably find a used one for a good price or hit up the next massdrop for it.

Schiit Fulla 2 is another good option and doesn't require a driver, but it is much bigger than the dacport. It's still only the size of a deck of cards (minus the knob) so its easily transportable and plugs in with micro USB.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #39,344 of 46,499
You might want to re-think your strategy here: I would suggest a second pair of headphones that can be driven by either the laptop or you phone for your work environment and use the HD6XX only at home since the HD6XX does not fold up and is quite large to be transporting every day. If your budget is $500-600 then you could get the Mimby + Vali2 for home (about $450) or Jot + internal DAC ($500) which would leave you $100 to $150 for your work headphone. A few friends have gotten used Momentums which are decent sounding and a reasonable portable substitute for the HD650.
I have a pair of ATH M50x which I use at the office everyday and the laptop's soundcard literally it's so bad that everything sounds plain and dead, I don't notice a difference between a youtube video, Spotify or a Flac file, heck, my smartphone drives those headphones 10 times better

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #39,345 of 46,499
I find the CEntrance Dacport Slim drives my HD650s pretty well, has a decent dac (ak4490) and a class A headphone amp in a very small package (smaller than a pack of orbit gum). Only downside is you have to install a driver from CEntrance so if your work has your machines locked down it might be an issue. You can probably find a used one for a good price or hit up the next massdrop for it.

Schiit Fulla 2 is another good option and doesn't require a driver, but it is much bigger than the dacport. It's still only the size of a deck of cards (minus the knob) so its easily transportable and plugs in with micro USB.
The mojo puts out more power than the Schiit fulla 2 and if people are debating whether it can power the hd 650 properly then why would the fulla 2 be able to power it? This is coming from people that own the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back