Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #38,026 of 46,499
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #38,030 of 46,499

Same with me approx. 5 years ago.  I sold my HD650 in order to buy the LCD 2 rev2.2  Within a couple of days after listening to the LCD HPs I began regretting selling my HD650.  The following week I sold the LCD & bought a new pair of HD650 & I distinctly remember smiling with relief and satisfaction once I had the HD650 back on my ears.  A few months ago I again sold my HD650 in order to finance an RS1 w/ buttons because I'd read & so many times how legendary their sound was.  I have since done what I did with the LCD 2 rev2.2, the RS1 is now history and another new HD650 sits on my head as I'm writing this.  

The definition of insanity is when someone does the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  I have regained my sanity and the HD650 is here to stay.  Also, 2 weeks ago I purchased an Ruppert Neve RNHP headphone amplifier and this amp and the HD650 were made for each other.  The sound is simply outstanding.  Imagine the HD650 being detailed, airy, very good body, balanced & lush; a bit fast also which is, according to the general consensus especially on Head-fi, not an HD650 attribute, the opposite of the mythical veil.  

The HD650, when properly amped is an exceptional headphone, has been for many years & let's not forget it was once the flagship in the Sennheiser stable.  Some audiophiles believe it still is. 

Great post my friend and I think this mirrors a lot of our experience with this headphone. My relationship with the HD650 has been on and off for about 12 years.. Longer than I've been with my wife haha. Even after owning HD800, HD700, Audeze and Hifiman high end efforts there really is nothing quite the like the HD650. Long may it stay!

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #38,031 of 46,499

Same with me approx. 5 years ago.  I sold my HD650 in order to buy the LCD 2 rev2.2  Within a couple of days after listening to the LCD HPs I began regretting selling my HD650.  The following week I sold the LCD & bought a new pair of HD650 & I distinctly remember smiling with relief and satisfaction once I had the HD650 back on my ears.  A few months ago I again sold my HD650 in order to finance an RS1 w/ buttons because I'd read & so many times how legendary their sound was.  I have since done what I did with the LCD 2 rev2.2, the RS1 is now history and another new HD650 sits on my head as I'm writing this.  

In general, for new users in mind: I don't think a week lets your brain to get accustomed to the sound of planars, if it's your first, and you're used to listening to dynamic drivers.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #38,032 of 46,499

In general, for new users in mind: I don't think a week lets your brain to get accustomed to the sound of planars, if it's your first, and you're used to listening to dynamic drivers.

This is a good point. But with full respect I would say a week is probably enough time to decide if a sound is going to be for you or not.
I personally hate it when a headphone gets slagged off and you find out the reviewer has only had it for a day or a weekend. The brain needs time to make sense of different sound signatures. The HD700 is a perfect example. It got slagged off before people gave it time. It has a very different sound compared to other headphones in the same price bracket. I think it is one of the greatest headphones money can currently buy! But it takes time to get used to it. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #38,033 of 46,499

I needed 5 minutes to realize that my LCD2 rev 2 were superior to my HD650. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #38,035 of 46,499
  This is a good point. But with full respect I would say a week is probably enough time to decide if a sound is going to be for you or not.
I personally hate it when a headphone gets slagged off and you find out the reviewer has only had it for a day or a weekend. The brain needs time to make sense of different sound signatures. The HD700 is a perfect example. It got slagged off before people gave it time. It has a very different sound compared to other headphones in the same price bracket. I think it is one of the greatest headphones money can currently buy! But it takes time to get used to it. 

I know it's kinda beating around the same bush, but it took me weeks to get accustomed to the first planar, with a few hours daily in the evenings-use added with a couple of full day home office sessions. People are obviously different.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #38,036 of 46,499

I know it's kinda beating around the same bush, but it took me weeks to get accustomed to the first planar, with a few hours daily in the evenings-use added with a couple of full day home office sessions. People are obviously different.

Yes, I already had T50rp before I got HD6XX and I had opposite reaction. I was(am) loving T50rp for all genres, while Hd6XX took a few weeks to get accustomed to after the boomy bass and treble peak settled down. Bass and treble were T50rp score and mids where HD6XX scores. Both are a keeper until I upgrade the planars.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #38,037 of 46,499
  The definition of insanity is when someone does the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  I have regained my sanity and the HD650 is here to stay. 

The HD650, when properly amped is an exceptional headphone, has been for many years & let's not forget it was once the flagship in the Sennheiser stable.  Some audiophiles believe it still is. 

It's Head-Fi, not insanity.
biggrin.gif

I did the same, only once.

That makes me eligible, not certified, asylum material.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #38,040 of 46,499
I've switched from my hd598 to the hd650 and i'mm pretty satisfied with the change and it seems that it feels every gap on the HD598 , the highs on the hd650 are kindof rolled off but they make them not fatiguing , as on the 598 for me was an issue.
I'm running them with an Sabre 9018 Async DAC and a Fiio E12 AMP. Feeling pretty solid, where do you guys think that is the weakest point on my link? 

It sounds really great, i'm just looking for some dac/amp that can sinergyze with them :wink:

btw : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOlGNeVZrRU

Listen to that and just watch your 650 jumping off your head , with a fu**ng high detail.

Warm hug for everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back