Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #37,816 of 46,499

Try Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge

Thanks Maestro >> Your image of the diagram of balance is going to help me in your RS link ...

Is that blue sleeve on your 650 in your RS link a cable from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge, is it Balanced or SE, can you describe the sound your getting from it..

Thx

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #37,817 of 46,499
  Thanks Maestro >> Your image of the diagram of balance is going to help me in your RS link ...

Is that blue sleeve on your 650 in your RS link a cable from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge, is it Balanced or SE, can you describe the sound your getting from it..

Thx

Hi there

the dark blue was from Ted -- balanced. Not much of an improvement vs. stock balanced.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Balanced always gets me more clarity and lower noise floor than SE. Basic principles of common mode noise rejection, that's all. Also double the voltage swing at output, with balanced.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #37,818 of 46,499
Slow and clear... K701...worse still, K1000.

Interesting.  Never heard K701, but did have the Q701 for a while.  Wasn't bad, but lacked bass and mids sounded somewhat artificial (hard to describe).  Been considering K7xx since they're on massdrop right now.  Just not sure if K7xx would be a noticeable improvement, and can't return them if I don't like them.  Still, I prefer the 650 warm, lush sound vs. the AKG sound, but K7xx might be a nice change up, and I hear they have huge soundstage, which I love.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #37,819 of 46,499
Strange request, but, I listen to music louder through my speakers than my wife allows. So, when she's around, I really, really love listening to it through my HD650s. For those times my wife isn't around I use my speakers. Can anyone recommend desktop / small bookshelf speakers with a similar sound signature as the HD650? Either passive or powered, <$500. I welcome your suggestions.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #37,821 of 46,499
Interesting.  Never heard K701, but did have the Q701 for a while.  Wasn't bad, but lacked bass and mids sounded somewhat artificial (hard to describe).  Been considering K7xx since they're on massdrop right now.  Just not sure if K7xx would be a noticeable improvement, and can't return them if I don't like them.  Still, I prefer the 650 warm, lush sound vs. the AKG sound, but K7xx might be a nice change up, and I hear they have huge soundstage, which I love.

I can't see how the k7xx could be much different to the q701. Except made in China.

I keep the K701 so in a few years I can show young people evidence that at some stage in history, countries other than China made things.

To be fair those AKGs 7 series are not 'slow'. There are slower, like K1000, which has a massive soundtage, but the stage is flat as a pancake and the driver housing flaps like dumbo with the bass, blurring sonic images. And of course, slow transient response.

In my verified opinion of course!

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #37,822 of 46,499
Strange request, but, I listen to music louder through my speakers than my wife allows. So, when she's around, I really, really love listening to it through my HD650s. For those times my wife isn't around I use my speakers. Can anyone recommend desktop / small bookshelf speakers with a similar sound signature as the HD650? Either passive or powered, <$500. I welcome your suggestions.

Not just a difficult request but a virtually impossible one too I'm afraid as there are so many variables when listening to loudspeakers.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #37,823 of 46,499

Not just a difficult request but a virtually impossible one too I'm afraid as there are so many variables when listening to loudspeakers.

I agree completely.
Moreover the matching between the speakers and the amplifier adds further variables.
The only suggestion that I can give to you is to tale your amp to different shops and try different speakers with you favourite music.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #37,824 of 46,499
I can't see how the k7xx could be much different to the q701. Except made in China.

I keep the K701 so in a few years I can show young people evidence that at some stage in history, countries other than China made things.

To be fair those AKGs 7 series are not 'slow'. There are slower, like K1000, which has a massive soundtage, but the stage is flat as a pancake and the driver housing flaps like dumbo with the bass, blurring sonic images. And of course, slow transient response.

can't agree with you on the K7XX or Q701 being "slower" than a HD650 and the sound stage is not "flat as a pancake" or the driver housing "flaps like dumbo" with the bass.  do you have a defective K7XX?

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #37,825 of 46,499

can't agree with you on the K7XX or Q701 being "slower" than a HD650 and the sound stage is not "flat as a pancake" or the driver housing "flaps like dumbo" with the bass.  do you have a defective K7XX?

I have the HD650 and the K7XX, and they are different.
Both have their peculiar characteristics but, I would not say that the K7XX is so bad. It is different.

Listening session now.....

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #37,826 of 46,499

No one makes speakers that replicate the HD-650's "three-blob" soundstage. But, if you want smooth, mid-range-friendly speakers at less than $500: ELAC Debut B5. Seriously.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #37,828 of 46,499

Hi there

the dark blue was from Ted -- balanced. Not much of an improvement vs. stock balanced.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Balanced always gets me more clarity and lower noise floor than SE. Basic principles of common mode noise rejection, that's all. Also double the voltage swing at output, with balanced.

I think you mentioned Cardas Cable before the edit , but I was never impressed with what the Cardas did for the 650.. I agree though balanced makes the 650 come to life.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #37,829 of 46,499

Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus               

http://www.silverlineaudio.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=60

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #37,830 of 46,499

I think you mentioned Cardas Cable before the edit , but I was never impressed with what the Cardas did for the 650.. I agree though balanced makes the 650 come to life.

I'm with you on that -- Cardas or any brand, for HP cables, I hear minimal improvements on my system. Which is good -- means that I don't need to throw any more dough down the wabbit hole......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back