Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #33,346 of 46,499
I switched unmodded foam pads from my HD600 back into my HD650. It put some veil back into the sound and now feels more laid back and the treble is placed further away. Before the treble felt placed too close with the coin mod, it also doesn't help that the HD6x0 already has a phase shift in the treble range which places treble more to front. Seems like the foam places treble further back which kind of undos the treble phase shift from the drivers.

The coin mod is still really good for removing some of the last bits of veil the HD6x0 has but it comes with compromises. Mids slightly more forward and Treble is placed forward more so than the mids. The sound field also narrows (note i said sound field and not soundstage) it makes headphone placement much more critical the foam hole mod needs to be right on your ears to make it sound good.

Imo the best mod was removing/breaking off the spider cage in the back but that one is irreversable.

Edit: I also have been wondering what the plastic spider in the back was for. From my guess it was for bass response but removing it completely didn't effect the bass. Maybe try placing the dynamat without removing the spider first.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #33,347 of 46,499
  Hello again guys,

Gotta ask the same question again but in shorter form this time. I own HD 800. Anyone here the current or previous owner of both the HD 800 and HD 650? Trying to figure out if there's any benefit to owning a pair of 650's since I already own 800's. Use: Primarily blu-ray home theater and console gaming as well as regular TV. HD 800's are outrageously great for this usage. Massive sound stage and detail (and I own the AVR that can drive these cans with great quality). Have read that 650's have a "higher" sound stage? Also deeper sub bass than the 800's? Anyone see a benefit to owning a 650 or is it "Dude, you own 800's, be happy"...

The HD800's bass is much more articulate than the HD650's emphasised mid bass presentation. Sub-bass on the HD800 is also better resolved. Sound staging isn't even a contest.

I've lived with both the HD650 and HD800 for extended periods. Whilst I agree with many of the points @mikoss and @MattTCG make, the HD800 for me wins over the HD650 in most aspects and the HD650 gathered dust when both were in the stable.

I can understand how the HD650's distinct signature is preferred by some for music though. The HD650 strikes the unusual balance of excellent resolution but also rendering an inoffensive presentation - its voicing makes most things sound great (if that voicing is your jam). The HD800 is a cruel mistress. Garbage in, garbage out - as the mantra goes. The HD800 bludgeons you with this at times.

Back to your question. There is no additional benefit of owning an HD650 (if you already own the HD800) and use is primarily movies and gaming. For music, the HD650 is a great complement to the HD800 if you're not tethered to a particular voicing.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #33,350 of 46,499
Have not heard the Mojo. Chord products seem to be extremely expensive... The Geek Out V2 is by far the best amp/DAC combo I've heard with the 650's (in balanced mode). Phenomenal pairing.

give it a try, it's a perception changing piece of crown jewel

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #33,351 of 46,499
I'm sure lots of you guys heard the HD650's with the Mojo, but I can't seem to find any posts on it. Any thoughts? Seems a little hard to believe something as portable can drive the 650's.

i have them paired and can flex the hd650 to potentially max muscle in a very low volume, 2 green led volume is what i set

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #33,352 of 46,499
The coin mod is still really good for removing some of the last bits of veil the HD6x0 has but it comes with compromises. Mids slightly more forward and Treble is placed forward more so than the mids. The sound field also narrows (note i said sound field and not soundstage) it makes headphone placement much more critical the foam hole mod needs to be right on your ears to make it sound good.

Imo the best mod was removing/breaking off the spider cage in the back but that one is irreversable.

I agree with what you're saying, but I would say that the coin mod doesn't accentuate the midrange any more than it already is. Personally, I think it brought about an improvement in front to back layering... intimate pieces seem to be a lot closer, whereas I hear a depth in dynamics that wasn't as prevalent to myself before. There honestly seems to be nothing "forward" about the 650's stock, which is perhaps part of their appeal. On the other hand, I would say that a laid back sound signature is no longer exactly what I'm looking for. If vocals, or percussion, or strings happen to be the star of the track, I say let them shine through.

I also don't particularly worry about where my 650's are sitting on my head. I used to use the headbands as small as they'd go, but now maybe 2 clicks out... I don't purposefully slide the cups foward or back myself... I will probably break the spider and put some dynamat in. Too many ears I trust have done this and had positive results.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #33,354 of 46,499

The HD800's bass is much more articulate than the HD650's emphasised mid bass presentation. Sub-bass on the HD800 is also better resolved. Sound staging isn't even a contest.

I've lived with both the HD650 and HD800 for extended periods. Whilst I agree with many of the points @mikoss and @MattTCG make, the HD800 for me wins over the HD650 in most aspects and the HD650 gathered dust when both were in the stable.

I can understand how the HD650's distinct signature is preferred by some for music though. The HD650 strikes the unusual balance of excellent resolution but also rendering an inoffensive presentation - its voicing makes most things sound great (if that voicing is your jam). The HD800 is a cruel mistress. Garbage in, garbage out - as the mantra goes. The HD800 bludgeons you with this at times.

Back to your question. There is no additional benefit of owning an HD650 (if you already own the HD800) and use is primarily movies and gaming. For music, the HD650 is a great complement to the HD800 if you're not tethered to a particular voicing.

Thanks for your imput! I think you just helped me come to a decision. The HD 800's are superior for my application and as I have a modded Lawton Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-X for music, it doesn't seem that the HD 650's will add anything for me. If I was on the market for a pair of open Senn's and my budget was $500 and not $1500 I almost certainly I would have gotten these.

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #33,355 of 46,499
Has anyone tried these replacement ear pads,  your thoughts compared to original ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-For-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD580-HD600-HD650-With-Ear-Cup-/121876291246?hash=item1c60649eae:g:JbgAAOSwL7VWp3pv

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #33,356 of 46,499
Edit: I also have been wondering what the plastic spider in the back was for. From my guess it was for bass response but removing it completely didn't effect the bass. Maybe try placing the dynamat without removing the spider first.

I can't believe some people are removing that "plastic spider". It's pretty obvious what that is, if you have any common sense that is. It's a very important structural element that makes the entire driver assembly stiffer, keeps the magnet securely in it's place and enables the dampening foam to be secured above the hole and give the driver an optimal amount of airflow on top of that. Removing that can only hurt the sound and in the long run reduce the reliability of the headphone because now the only thing holding the magnet in place is a little bit of glue. The diaphragm of the driver vibrates in a very precise way, and in order to do that, the structure it's attached to has to be as solid as possible. Making it less solid can't possible improve the sound, if you do hear an improvement, then it's just placebo because you want to hear an improvement.

I still don't understand how people think they can improve the sound by removing pieces off a headphone that are there for a very good reason. People who developed these headphones know infinitely more about engineering and acoustics than you do, so don't insult their work and intelligence by claiming you can "improve" the headphones by doing these mods that literally do nothing else but ruin the original state of the headphone. You're not improving them with "coin mods" or removing the foams, removing the structural elements, or doing any other think that goes against logic and common sense when we're talking about acoustics, you're making their sound more uneven and taking them further away from what they were meant to do in their original form. They don't sound the way they do by accident, they were designed that way.

I'm sorry for being this direct, but the amount of false science on this web site has reached intolerable levels, and it will literally make some people ruin their headphones after reading some of the ******** around here. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #33,357 of 46,499

I can't believe some people are removing that "plastic spider". It's pretty obvious what that is, if you have any common sense that is. It's a very important structural element that makes the entire driver assembly stiffer, keeps the magnet securely in it's place and enables the dampening foam to be secured above the hole and give the driver an optimal amount of airflow on top of that. Removing that can only hurt the sound and in the long run reduce the reliability of the headphone because now the only thing holding the magnet in place is a little bit of glue. The diaphragm of the driver vibrates in a very precise way, and in order to do that, the structure it's attached to has to be as solid as possible. Making it less solid can't possible improve the sound, if you do hear an improvement, then it's just placebo because you want to hear an improvement.

I still don't understand how people think they can improve the sound by removing pieces off a headphone that are there for a very good reason. People who developed these headphones know infinitely more about engineering and acoustics than you do, so don't insult their work and intelligence by claiming you can "improve" the headphones by doing these mods that literally do nothing else but ruin the original state of the headphone. You're not improving them with "coin mods" or removing the foams, removing the structural elements, or doing any other think that goes against logic and common sense when we're talking about acoustics, you're making their sound more uneven and taking them further away from what they were meant to do in their original form. They don't sound the way they do by accident, they were designed that way.

I'm sorry for being this direct, but the amount of false science on this web site has reached intolerable levels, and it will literally make some people ruin their headphones after reading some of the ******** around here. 

While I agree with your stance in point you are forgetting some things. Sennheiser and every other manufacturer builds / designs to there specific goals, compromises, and desired SQ,  Sound reproduction likes and dislikes are subjective If I dont really care for sound the same way as the Sennheiser engineers (insert any manufacturer) some of these mods very well may sound better to me. Most people listen to sound not the numbers so the fact that it may now measure worse is of no consequence.  I completely agree that altering structure is a bad idea. 

It is also apparent that Sennheiser and HiFiman (& others I am sure) have both learned from the end user experimentation, (2 examples are Jerg Pads, and anax mod) 

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #33,358 of 46,499
  Has anyone tried these replacement ear pads,  your thoughts compared to original ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Ear-Pads-For-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD580-HD600-HD650-With-Ear-Cup-/121876291246?hash=item1c60649eae:g:JbgAAOSwL7VWp3pv

I recommend these for the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1459097866&sr=1&keywords=brainwavz+hm5

I don't think I'll ever go back to stock pads on the 650. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #33,360 of 46,499
  Thanks for your imput! I think you just helped me come to a decision. The HD 800's are superior for my application and as I have a modded Lawton Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-X for music, it doesn't seem that the HD 650's will add anything for me. If I was on the market for a pair of open Senn's and my budget was $500 and not $1500 I almost certainly I would have gotten these.

Maybe the HD 800 S is something worth considering. It replaces both the HD 800 and HD 650 for me since you are looking to spend $1500? But I'd say an EQ is the way to go since you can dail in any signature you want and you save alot of money.

If you are looking for a fun sounding headphone with high-end performance, check out the Hifiman edition-X. Since you are interested in the HD 650, I think you will like the HEX very much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back