Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #30,811 of 46,499

Sure thing!  I had already promised to do so in the iFi iDSD Micro thread.  And yes, these are the new T1 v2 set.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I have an interview for a position upgrade tomorrow, and the T1s should be waiting for me when I get back to my desk, so I'll either be celebrating a great interview, or listening to them as consolation for blowing it.  :wink:  Either way, GOOD MUSIC and new cans to listen to it with!

very very best of luck for your interview and position upgrade. :)

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #30,812 of 46,499
I have tried the 650's with small and large solid state amps, and the bigger the amp the better they sounded.  However, once I got the hybrid Ember and started rolling tubes, I would never consider an ss amp for these unless it was on the caliber of hdv800.  Rolling in dual 6L5G tubes now and soundstage is very wide, and full.  The volume would make your ears bleed if you turned it up full, (which I don't) but do on occasion run up to the half way mark.  The differences in tubes make a very nice difference, started out with the 9 pin signal tubes, went to the 6Sn7's then to an dual adapter to use two triodes instead of a dual triode tube.  Tried the 7193 Ken Rad tubes and they were great, tried the 6J5gt's and they were better soundstage, but with the 6L5G's the sound is more cohesive than before.  Sound top to bottom is very liquid, no lack of bass line treble is up there with the best of them and the mid range is spectacular.  You need more voltage than the small ss amps provide to drive the 650's.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #30,814 of 46,499
  I have tried the 650's with small and large solid state amps, and the bigger the amp the better they sounded.  However, once I got the hybrid Ember and started rolling tubes, I would never consider an ss amp for these unless it was on the caliber of hdv800.  Rolling in dual 6L5G tubes now and soundstage is very wide, and full.  The volume would make your ears bleed if you turned it up full, (which I don't) but do on occasion run up to the half way mark.  The differences in tubes make a very nice difference, started out with the 9 pin signal tubes, went to the 6Sn7's then to an dual adapter to use two triodes instead of a dual triode tube.  Tried the 7193 Ken Rad tubes and they were great, tried the 6J5gt's and they were better soundstage, but with the 6L5G's the sound is more cohesive than before.  Sound top to bottom is very liquid, no lack of bass line treble is up there with the best of them and the mid range is spectacular.  You need more voltage than the small ss amps provide to drive the 650's.

You mean Garage 1217 Project Ember?

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #30,815 of 46,499

My 650 makes even Glenn Gould sound good.

And his piano, too......

very_evil_smiley.gif

but not his chair? :wink:

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #30,817 of 46,499

Yes that is correct.  They types of tubes you can roll still grows, just ordered a pair oc 6C5G's from the late 30's -40's.

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #30,819 of 46,499
If you do a forum search you should find the info you seek.  I have not heard one, but from my research it does not measure up to the Garage1217 offerings.  ****t happens but not here.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #30,821 of 46,499
Just upgraded my asgard 2 to the soloist sl mk2... first impressions are quite positive!

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #30,824 of 46,499
I think the consensus is that it's really not that hard to find an amp that will make the HD650 sing. Even my lowly Magni 2 and Vali will do the job admirably.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #30,825 of 46,499

Is there any other Ember?  (cue Jack Nicholson...) 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back