Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #30,781 of 46,497
[quote name="knorris908" url="/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/30765#post_12126463  I married REALLY well!  LOL

[/quote]

I'm cursed with the same. She MAKES me buy things that I'd like. Not sure whether it's because I'm ten years older than her and she thinks I need to do everything before popping my clogs or whether it's because she's a musician as well!

She's cost me a fortune over the years. She even made me buy her a Senn hd650 for her electric piano. Couldn't possibly use mine!!!

Now I realise that I've bought 5 of them..... :wink:

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #30,782 of 46,497

Both are tube amps but the circuits are slightly difference in how much you need to do to roll different tubes and the tubes are used in the input stage while the output stage is SS/op-amp:
Ember sets tube voltage and bias automatically
Solstice set tube bias automatically but you need to adjust the voltage for each tube family
Starlight is manual tube voltage and bias

JohnJen and AtomicBob have recently done some detailed listening and reporting on a Senn HD650 budget (my word) system over in The DIYrs Cookbook thread, especially post #42 and a few follow-ons later. It's well worth a read if you are looking for an affordable amp that works well with the HD650.

They really like the Garage1217 Sunrise III, esp. with an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 tube. 

Being sometimes easily influenced, and economy-minded, I just got a Bimby and the Sunrise III as they used in their set-up. Even with under 30 hours on it, it sounds excellent to me.

The Sunrise also has manual adjustments for tube voltage and bias. It took me less than a minute to re-bias when I switched from the stock 12v tube to a 6v tube, using a tiny screwdriver. I'd never done that before, and it was easy as pie. Not something to be afraid of.

edit: I have plenty of volume, even with the Sonarwork Reference III calibration s/w in the mix ... which lowers the level by 6 db to prevent clipping when applying the HD650 or custom equalization.

HTH

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #30,783 of 46,497
I listened to the HD650s about 3 years ago, and I still vividly remember that exact moment. The sound signature immediately reminded me of my Harbeth P3ESR speakers, which I found astonishing coming from a pair of headphones. It was definitely one of those eureka moments. Since that day, I've wanted to put together a modest bedroom rig that would be convenient with a minimalist aesthetic, but above all sound great.

Fast forward to Cyber Monday, and I accidentally stumbled upon a "Lightning Deal" on Amazon.ca for the HD650s as I was shopping for a cast iron skillet (shut up, I'm old). It was 97% sold out, so I pulled the trigger and likely bought the last one. I'm now waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive! To complete the rig, I ordered the Schiit Valhalla 2, which looks to pair nicely with the HD650s, at least on paper. Both should be arriving later this week or early next. 

So, my question...

Any consensus on the recommended burn-in time for the HD650s, or the Valhalla 2, for that matter? Is there anything I should be aware of while I'm getting acquainted with this setup? Do's and don'ts? This is my first pair of full-sized cans, so I'm stupid excited for it to arrive. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #30,784 of 46,497
Funny you mention Harbeth speakers..I got my HD650 today and from my Violectric V200 they sound quite simular to my beloved Harbeth SHL5 speakers..I think I'm gonna love this combination, listening to Keith Jarret Trio and now to Carla Bley Trio, it sound warm and neutral at the same time hehe

Bloody tinnitus got me to buy the 650 Senns and I'm liking what I hear!! Theys opened up pretty much after an hour or two, to be continued..

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #30,785 of 46,497
  I listened to the HD650s about 3 years ago, and I still vividly remember that exact moment. The sound signature immediately reminded me of my Harbeth P3ESR speakers, which I found astonishing coming from a pair of headphones. It was definitely one of those eureka moments. Since that day, I've wanted to put together a modest bedroom rig that would be convenient with a minimalist aesthetic, but above all sound great.

Fast forward to Cyber Monday, and I accidentally stumbled upon a "Lightning Deal" on Amazon.ca for the HD650s as I was shopping for a cast iron skillet (shut up, I'm old). It was 97% sold out, so I pulled the trigger and likely bought the last one. I'm now waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive! To complete the rig, I ordered the Schiit Valhalla 2, which looks to pair nicely with the HD650s, at least on paper. Both should be arriving later this week or early next. 

So, my question...

Any consensus on the recommended burn-in time for the HD650s, or the Valhalla 2, for that matter? Is there anything I should be aware of while I'm getting acquainted with this setup? Do's and don'ts? This is my first pair of full-sized cans, so I'm stupid excited for it arrive. 

1 - CONGRATS!  And nice find/Nice GET.
2 - I do not have the Valhalla 2, but it's little, solid state brother the ASGARD 2.  SOUNDED AWESOME OUT OF THE BOX
3 - Any burn-in improvement I heard I attribute to the HD-650.  ONCE WARM, the ASGARD 2 has been consistent since day one.  Your tube mileage may vary though...  My guess is that there is a fair amount of rack burn-in at the factory over at Schiit that provides some performance stabilization, but I can't say for sure.
4 - I heard an increase in loudness equally across all my amps as my HD-650s burned-in, but I never noticed a marked change in sound signature or soundstage myself.  Not seeking to invalidate what others have reported regarding burn-in, just providing my personal experience with my own equipment.  The volume increase I started to notice around the 10-15 hour mark at moderate volume using headphone audition tracks from "Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc" and white/pink noise patterns mixed in with random rock, blues, and classical tracks on continuous loop.  Left the setup running in my office's jacket closet with the door closed to prevent from wife from "helping" and turning everything off, thinking that I forgot again..  :wink:

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #30,786 of 46,497

So, my question...

Any consensus on the recommended burn-in time for the HD650s, or the Valhalla 2, for that matter? Is there anything I should be aware of while I'm getting acquainted with this setup? Do's and don'ts? This is my first pair of full-sized cans, so I'm stupid excited for it to arrive. 

The HD650s and the Valhalla 2 are an excellent pairing, as is the HD650s and the Asgard 2. The Valhalla will deliver it's peak of power ( typically 800 miliwatts per channel ) into your 300 ohm HD650s. 

I own the HD650 as well as the Valhalla 2 and the Asgard 2, and I'll honestly say I cannot hear a difference between them. They are both that good. 

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, or tube rolling for that matter, so when I get new gear I just choose my favorite tracks and start listening. Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity summed up his burn-in testing with this statement. "The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones.".

As always, YMMV.

Enjoy your new system. You might find it's all you ever need.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #30,787 of 46,497
My Bimby, Valhalla and HD6xx setup has sounded great from day one. In fact, I can only truly appreciate them when I 'defocus' and stop trying to analyse the different elements of what I am hearing and just appreciate the music as a whole. Astonishing. I now know what system 'synergy' means...

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #30,788 of 46,497
  Consequently I have HD-800s arriving this week, and Beyer-Dynamics T1s arriving next week...  I'm leaving it up to my wife once I finish playing with them and whipping myself into a frenzy trying to discern every possible advantage of one over another via A/B of sources, genres, amps, etc... 

please post brief impressions of your new hd800 and t1(or is it t1 v2?) when you feel you have played enough with them.

i would like to hear about these brighter cans from someone who appreciates hd650's sound signature.

meanwhile happy waiting... :wink:

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #30,789 of 46,497

Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity summed up his burn-in testing with this statement. "The miracle is in your head ... not in the headphones.".

Totally agree with this. 

please post brief impressions of your new hd800 and t1(or is it t1 v2?) when you feel you have played enough with them.

i would like to hear about these brighter cans from someone who appreciates hd650's sound signature.

meanwhile happy waiting... :wink:

I have owned both T1 and T1.2 and heard HD800 stock and with anaxmod many times. What do you wanna know?

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #30,790 of 46,497
Quick question on hd650 build quality. Right cup side is slightly easier to adjust while left side is slightly stiffer to turn and adjust for listening. Its the area between the cups meet headband. I know these are hand made so they can't be perfect is this something to be concerned about ? I hope they don't break on me and last many years.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #30,791 of 46,497

So, my question...

I've got that set-up, they are fantastic from the start. Imo my 650's were awesome the first time I put them on so I'm not into the whole burn in thing. I think you'll be very pleased with that setup, enjoy

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #30,792 of 46,497
Just receive my 650. Really interesting! I just found 600 sound wonderful with my tube amplifier and 650 sound wonderful with my SS amplifier. And 600 sounds bad with my SS amp. and 650 sounds bad with my tube amp.! When with each amplifier, I think 650 is a little bit better than 600. Both amplifiers are from Taobao, though both are reputed products. This two Senn. is really legend! I'll put Valhalla as my next aim to see how much potential I can dig from these two giants!
Any can recommand a great SS amplifier for 650? Thanks.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #30,794 of 46,497
  Funny you mention Harbeth speakers..I got my HD650 today and from my Violectric V200 they sound quite simular to my beloved Harbeth SHL5 speakers..I think I'm gonna love this combination, listening to Keith Jarret Trio and now to Carla Bley Trio, it sound warm and neutral at the same time hehe

Bloody tinnitus got me to buy the 650 Senns and I'm liking what I hear!! Theys opened up pretty much after an hour or two, to be continued..

Congrats! You finally gave in
biggrin.gif
 . Warm and neutral at the same time is how I also feel about the HD 650.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #30,795 of 46,497
  If I had to attempt a guess I'd say the cheap $.05 op-amp chips in your iphone and tablet, running with the volume maxed out and trying to drive a high impedance load like your HD 650, are in big trouble. Distortion levels, specially in the bass range most likely off the charts. Yea the bass may give you the impression of having more punch with all the doubling, etc going on. Being a "total noob" you have to ask yourself does my impression of better sound from two cheap, badly matched products driving near state of the art phones maybe say there's something in err with my expectations?
Your DC-1 may not be the best DAC/Amp on earth but its for sure in the top 1% and worlds ahead of an iphone. Besides the fact that I own and love the sound of the same combo and have over 50  years experience at this stuff.  Don't mean to heart your feeling here but somethings not adding up in your listening impressions..

Ok, cool, so I will stick with the DC-1 exclusively for my "opinion piece" (it won't be a typical review, as I am not a writer). Stupid question time though, do I risk damaging my 650 by playing it on my tablet or phone? I do understand that it's distortion (not power) that kills speakers, so I am a bit worried now.

You're hearing that wooly and flabby bass that is evident when the HD650 is plugged into components incapable of exerting great control over the transducers.

Go to a meet if you can, and listen to the HD650 from a good balanced solid state amp (like the Ragnarok). You'll hear bass that's defined, taut and distinct. No smothering and bleeding into other registers. Bass that hits hard. Then listen to the HD650 from your iPhone and marvel at your naivety. :wink:

My next "big" audio purchase will probably be a higher end amp to drive the 650 (as well as the rest of my collection). It might be a long while before that will happen though. I spent WAY too much on Christmas gifts already, and I still have some more to go...

I have heard (read) a lot of great things about Schiit gear, but have not yet heard any of their equipment. Both the Rag and the Yggy get my "gear lust" running high!  LOL!

Quote:
@ painted known,

Feeding the iPhone digitally into an amp like the Ifi micro idsd cleans the sound quite a bit. You still get a good strong bass, but it is better defined and encroaches less into the upper bass where there is a hump in the frequency response,

In addition to the Schiit stack, I have been also eye'ing the Audio G-D Master 11. It's pricey (IMO), but it has the advantage of being able to drive single ended as well as balanced 'phones, and I think I'd really like to try a multibit DAC (which it also has). Makes it very high on my "want list", but the price tag is a bit of a sticking point for me at the moment. However, it is considerably lower cost than the Schitt stack, and is an "all in one" unit.

I kind of go back and forth (even multiple times a day) on what I'd ultimately like to get, but I don't think I could go wrong with either setup.

I do see a lot of users ITT that recommend tube amps for the 650, but I have never used any tube amps, and would have no idea of what to get.

I have considered the Schiit Vali, just to see if I like the tube sound. Does it play well with the 650? How about easy to drive 'phones such as the Grado SR80i, AT ATH-M50X, Senn HD598, Beats Solo2, Skullcandy Aviator, etc?

EDIT: I have also considered a Schiit Magni 2 or O2 amp (or something similarly low cost), simply to get something cheap that would hopefully work well enough to keep me pleased until I can get a "killer" amp.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. I am just brainstorming and thinking out loud here...but that's what I have been considering. The only headphone amp I have ever heard is the DC-1, though, so I really don't know what I'm talking about.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back