Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #28,636 of 46,497

I ripped the original 1991 CD to FLAC. The 2013 In Utero remaster by Steve Albini is great. I need to check out the nevermind remaster but I haven't.

EDIT: I never checked out the remaster because it was supposedly too loud https://jgtwo.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/the-guy-who-remastered-nevermind-doesnt-care-if-you-think-its-too-loud/

Kool, thanks. Looking on the Dynamic Range Database I see the 1991 CD has a pretty good DR of 12, where the 2013 remaster has been squashed to a terrible DR7. What a shame what the labels are doing to our music today. Just picked up a 91 DGC CD for $5.00 shipped on ebay, the MFSL are a little too rich for my taste running no lower than $50.00 used.

Sep 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #28,637 of 46,497

The ORG vinyl pressing that was mastered by Bernie Grundman is also fantastic!!! It (IMO) is even superior to the CD mfsl release. I have not heard the mfsl vinyl release, so I cannot compare those two pressings.

In short, if you want CD, get the Mobile Fidelity disc. If you find it too cost prohibitive, the 1991 DGC release will treat you pretty well. It can probably be found very easily/cheaply at used CD stores or Amazon.

My favorite test track from that disc is "Something in the Way". The cello is so sad and mournful sounding, and if played back on quality gear, you can hear/feel the sad and scared emotion delivered in a young Kurt Cobain's voice. He was probably only 23-24 years old when this was recorded.

Friends don't let Friends do vinyl  
deadhorse.gif
   LOL
Thanks for your input! Got the 91 DGC

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #28,638 of 46,497
Does anyone have a comparison with the OPPO PM3's ? If so, which is the better headphone ??

It's quite a different sound and signature. The pm-3 will lean towards neutral and have that "ortho" sound. And of course it's closed. I don't think that I would buy the pm-3 for home use only, since I typically don't need noise isolation. 

The pm-2 vs hd650 might be a better comparison. 

Anyway, I would take the hd650 in any case. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #28,639 of 46,497
  Nevermind is my favorite record of all time. I have several different versions of it. I had listened to the original 1991 DGC disc of it since its release, and it's totally fine sounding, but IMO the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab version is superior in every way. Not going to get into a detailed track breakdown/description, but upon hearing the MFSL disc, I wished I had picked it up years before i did (especially before it went OOP). It's a bit more expensive to track down, but WELL worth it IMO.

So I uh...........ordered the MFSL version of Nevermind with express shipping FLAC. On the HD650 the first immediate difference is cymbal quality on Smells Like Teen Spirit. Nevermind was the first CD I ever bought so I have heard it plenty. Very nice.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #28,640 of 46,497

It's quite a different sound and signature. The pm-3 will lean towards neutral and have that "ortho" sound. And of course it's closed. I don't think that I would buy the pm-3 for home use only, since I typically don't need noise isolation. 

The pm-2 vs hd650 might be a better comparison. 

Anyway, I would take the hd650 in any case. 

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I could save the extra money going with the Senn's, but ultimately I don't mind paying more, for the right choice !

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #28,641 of 46,497

Thank you for your feedback. I guess I could save the extra money going with the Senn's, but ultimately I don't mind paying more, for the right choice !

If you need a portable, the pm-3 is a damn good one. Works great from a phone and even better if you add a portable amp like the ha-2. But, if you looking for a home use mostly headphone then the hd650 is the clear choice IMO. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #28,642 of 46,497
How many of you are still using the stock cable of the HD650? How are the experiences with aftermarket cables for the 650 in terms of sound improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an aftermarket cable from Forza. I only use the stock though.

Also, Nirvana's Nevermind sounds ******!!!

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #28,643 of 46,497
How many of you are still using the stock cable of the HD650? How are the experiences with aftermarket cables for the 650 in terms of sound improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had Cardas cables but sold them. They did nothing to improve the sound while their stiffness added considerable inconvenience.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #28,644 of 46,497

If you need a portable, the pm-3 is a damn good one. Works great from a phone and even better if you add a portable amp like the ha-2. But, if you looking for a home use mostly headphone then the hd650 is the clear choice IMO. 

I have both of these cans and listen to both regularly. And agree with MattTCG's assessment re the superiority of the HD-650 for home use (with a suitable amp) ... it's just so unfailingly musical and fun to listen to.

I would add that, since you're here on HeadFi, we can predict with 99.4% confidence that you have, or will have, a portfolio of headphones. A collection that will evolve over time.

And as a lover of music through head phones, you will find you NEED some high-quality headphones for those times when you are traveling and not surrounded by your entire home collection of gear. And/or will need some close-backed cans so that you don't annoy other people who are nearby, such in the next seat on an airplane. And/or will work plugged into just your smartphone or a small/cheap DAP. 

The Oppo PM-3 is a wonderful addition to the portfolio for the portable/simple role. Not the only possibility, of course, but an excellent choice.

------------
(Now listening with the PM-3s to the Cowboy Junkies, Live at the Ark, a binaural production recorded and engineered by Mark Jay for headphones. I'd forgotten how good this is. (And three times so far I've spun my head around because I heard someone directly behind me)).

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #28,645 of 46,497

I would add that, since you're here on HeadFi, we can predict with 99.4% confidence that you have, or will have, a portfolio of headphones. A collection that will evolve over time.

------------
(Now listening with the PM-3s to the Cowboy Junkies, Live at the Ark, a binaural production recorded and engineered by Mark Jay for headphones. I'd forgotten how good this is. (And three times so far I've spun my head around because I heard someone directly behind me)).

It's actually 99.8%.... 
rolleyes.gif

Get the 2-CD Cowboy Junkies Live 1985-94 "200 More Miles" collection. 
beerchug.gif

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000002WVH?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #28,646 of 46,497
Looks like the recording is free and legal on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/cj2009-10-05.ku100_at37

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #28,647 of 46,497

I have both of these cans and listen to both regularly. And agree with MattTCG's assessment re the superiority of the HD-650 for home use (with a suitable amp) ... it's just so unfailingly musical and fun to listen to.

And as a lover of music through head phones, you will find you NEED some high-quality headphones for those times when you are traveling and not surrounded by your entire home collection of gear. And/or will need some close-backed cans so that you don't annoy other people who are nearby, such in the next seat on an airplane. And/or will work plugged into just your smartphone or a small/cheap DAP. 

The Oppo PM-3 is a wonderful addition to the portfolio for the portable/simple role. Not the only possibility, of course, but an excellent choice.

------------

Thank you both for your feedback. I want a headphone for portable use ( even though I'm housebound ) and home use, with my AVR, other equipment. Ideally, I want to get the best from my portable Walkman devices.
I wouldn't say I have a portfolio of headphones, but in the main, I've been disappointed with my choices, & I want to make the right choice. ( finally ! )
The feeling that you can hear someone behind you, is interesting....

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #28,648 of 46,497
  Looks like the recording is free and legal on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/cj2009-10-05.ku100_at37

Thanks. I prefer the CD, though. Which I rip for my floor spkrs and for HPs.

(It's actually not the same album as "200 More Miles": http://www.amazon.ca/More-Miles-Live-Performances-1985-1994/dp/tracks/B000002WVH/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1  )

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #28,649 of 46,497

Thanks. I prefer the CD, though. Which I rip for my floor spkrs and for HPs.

(It's actually not the same album as "200 More Miles": http://www.amazon.ca/More-Miles-Live-Performances-1985-1994/dp/tracks/B000002WVH/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1  )

Ah I just googled Cowboy junkies Live at the Ark binaural.

That recording is really good at showing the differences between the 580 and 650. I played the intro and Shining Moon a few times. Switching from the 650 to the 580 you immediately notice the soundstage is smaller but then as your ears adjust it opens up slightly. The twang on the guitars in Shining Moon are a bit brighter and closer on the 580. On the 650 the female vocals sound more separated on the 580 its almost like the musicians are standings slightly closer. Whole thing just sounds a bit more refined on the 650 but the 580 still sounds really nice and some may prefer the brighter sheen on the music. Its a matter of degree.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #28,650 of 46,497

I have an aftermarket cable from Forza. I only use the stock though.

Also, Nirvana's Nevermind sounds ******!!!

I had Cardas cables but sold them. They did nothing to improve the sound while their stiffness added considerable inconvenience.

As a non-believer in fancy cables, I find it interesting that two of our members here had expensive cables but found them to be of no benefit. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back