Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #27,976 of 46,497
  Yes Mechanix I know exactly what you mean. I felt this way when I first used the HD 600's (same soundstage as 650 which I now have). I think it just takes a little time for 'brain burn in', and once you get used to its' strengths, you will appreciate it much better than the other 'cans.

On the other hand if you still think the soundstage is too big after a couple weeks then I guess it's time to go ahead and try other headphones - basically ANY other headphone has a smaller soundstage than the HD 600/650; that is, EXCEPT HD 700, 800, Audeze LCD series and maybe some of the Hifiman flagship headphones. For a smaller soundstage yet all the strengths of the 650, one I would possibly recommend is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 which is also has noise isolation being closed.

Thank you for your input, it's nice to know that what I feel is not unusual and not a problem with my perception. Seems like I should get used to the sound of the headphones and use them more regularly. On the other hand, I've wanted to try out a pair of DT770s and 880s for a long time now. Do you think I should give them a try? I have not really used closed cans before.

Aug 13, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #27,977 of 46,497
  Yes Mechanix I know exactly what you mean. I felt this way when I first used the HD 600's (same soundstage as 650 which I now have). I think it just takes a little time for 'brain burn in', and once you get used to its' strengths, you will appreciate it much better than the other 'cans.

On the other hand if you still think the soundstage is too big after a couple weeks then I guess it's time to go ahead and try other headphones - basically ANY other headphone has a smaller soundstage than the HD 600/650; that is, EXCEPT HD 700, 800, Audeze LCD series and maybe some of the Hifiman flagship headphones. For a smaller soundstage yet all the strengths of the 650, one I would possibly recommend is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 which is also has noise isolation being closed.

Really? That's not been my experience. I'm not knocking the 650 but soundstage is not it's strongest point IMO. Try almost any AKG for instance.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #27,978 of 46,497
The 650 is not an excellent imaging/staging HP. Its soundstage isn't that wide, compared to LCD-2 and HE560. That's not always a bad thing, but remember, that's a comparative statement. My reference recording for floor spkrs and HP imaging and sound quality is still Sneakin' Out's "Train Wreck" disc, available from CD Baby.com

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #27,979 of 46,497
I know this might be a bit off topic, but is anyone else as excited about the new CD from Nate Rateliff and the Night Sweats coming out Tuesday?

This album seem made for the HD650...

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #27,981 of 46,497

Mandarin's got the most people who speak it as a first language, but those lists are just absurd for saying that English only has 360million speakers. Far as I can tell they just add up the populations of the countries where it's the "official" language because and call it a wrap. Fact is that people in nearly every country end up learning English as a second language at some point, sort of like how US students learn Spanish, except over there they actually become conversational (if not fluent) in it.

Think about the internet these days. How many people do you see on English websites apologizing for not being native speakers? I've run into folks from Singapore, Italy, Estonia, Peru, France, the Netherlands, India, pretty much any country and they all speak English to some degree. How many Americans or Brits do you run into on non-English websites chatting it up? Just a consequence of commanding the means of communication early on. :p

+1

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #27,982 of 46,497

Like most other native English speakers: zero. XD

I've jumped onto a few Japanese sites for videos as well as Russian, but I can honestly say I've never known a Westerner who frequents non-English websites outside of anime fans.

I'm not like, being "American arrogant" or whatever, it's just that English is essentially a global language. May not remain that forever, especially if China starts taking over economically, but right now such is the case. 

looool
But i can say that english will last as global language. Chinese is to complicated and unique. Spanish and many more are easier to learn too.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #27,983 of 46,497

I'm far more impressed with your written English.  That's far more difficult to master.  At least with spoken, you can immerse yourself in it...

Still a long way to go to reach C2 level. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #27,984 of 46,497
Guys i just got my HD 650s 2 days back & I am really impressed. This is my first over ear headphones coming from IEMs klipsh S4, IE 8 & IE 80s & shure s215.

My current set up is Samsung Note 4 USB digital input to IFI IDSD micro with source files ranging from DSD 5.6mhz files to 320 kbps mp3s heaphones HD 650s.

Currently, this setup sounds amazing to me. If somebody else has tried this setup (HD 650s with IFI IDSD micro) & other setups as well, would be really interested to know your comments

Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #27,985 of 46,497

Tubes can last a lifetime, being content with just one set is fleeting.

Some of my favorite SS amps I have owned/own and enjoyed with the 650(within your stated budget)

Project Polaris (clean and solid)
Gustard H10 (a bit tube-like)
Headroom  Desktop (really great with the HD650)
Meier Audio: Corda Classic (a bit over budget, but really good)
Audio GD (lots of good stuff there, I own SA31 SE, great with the HD650)

A Vintage recapped receiver! (I have owned a few and all make the HD650 sing)

A can vouch for the Corda classic as i own it, you might be able to find a decent used deal on it which would slip it under your budget.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #27,986 of 46,497
  I've been using HD650 for some time now and oddly I find the soundstage a bit too big. I don't know how to exactly describe this but I find sounds come almost from a distance and seperation between instruments is too much apart. Is this what people mean when they say HD650 has a laid back sound character? I am pretty sure I have decent gear to drive them (Fiio E10k and Schiit Vali) so it is not an option. Maybe I simply prefer narrow and engaging soundstage?

You may like the HD 600 more then though as others said it would be best to spend more time with the HD 650. The HD 600 is more intimate and upfront in it's soundstage and presentation than the HD 650. I would say the soundstage is one of the biggest differences between the two, I avoided bias by listening to them with one side being the HD 600 and one being the HD 650, even swapped drivers in the housings and swapped sides, the two headphones sound inherently different down to the drivers. It's rather unsettling to me listening to the two different drivers at the same time, you can hear the similarities in tonality but the differences in clarity, imaging, and detail were unsettling. That's how my HD 600 and HD 650 compared to each other were and I had both for a long time. That's ultimately what I didn't like about the HD 600, it's soundstage was too upfront for me and quite a bit smaller than the HD 650's. But I fall under the group that finds the HD 600 and HD 650 quite different. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #27,987 of 46,497
  I know this might be a bit off topic, but is anyone else as excited about the new CD from Nate Rateliff and the Night Sweats coming out Tuesday?

This album seem made for the HD650...

I wasn't, because I'd never heard of him. I have now though and yes, that's pretty good.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #27,988 of 46,497
Adorama has this deal which is much better: HD600 ($350) + Apogee Groove ($295) for $399 
deadhorse.gif
                                                                        HD650 ($450) + Apogee Groove ($295) for $499

I mainly listen to hiphop and rock (alternative, classic, indie). Which of the two should I choose? Any help would be most helpful since I will be making my decision within the hour.

The Groove's current drive is going to add some extra bass to both of those Senns which you may or may not like.  OTOH, at the price of that bundle you could always sell the Grove if you don't like and not loose any money on the deal.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #27,989 of 46,497
I just bought the HD650. I only have a Shure 840 to compare. It's paired with an Asus xonar stx. I love the sound. The mids, tight bass, especially how it brings out all the detail in my music. Now to get the schiit Valhalla 2... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back