Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #27,721 of 46,499
My first decent headphone was the Shure 840 3 years ago. I'm now back and want to dive into something better! So far the hd650 is the one I want to get. Then schitt bifrost uber? Then schitt lyr2? Lol. There are so many choices now it's crazy.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #27,722 of 46,499

Yes you're about right. Here's my perfect formula for a finely tuned HD 650 by EQ: about +1 db @ 45hz, -1 @ 75hz and +2 at 7khz and above. But of course this can be done differently for you. This is a VST called Voxengo Drumformer plugin which is the single most useful mastering plugin I have ever used and so much more than the parametric EQ which as at the top - it also has 3 bands of individually tweakable compression (to add faster 'slam') if adjusted to a positive ratio; expansion if adjusted to a negative ratio, and 3 bands of optional saturation.

I'm using this, another VST and in the process of rolling tubes to get the best sound sig. out of the 650 and my other headphones too.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #27,723 of 46,499

However like the HE 1000's, the HD 650's performance is largely dependent on the source. I've heard both perform so-so, and both absolutely stellar brilliant - depending on the source. So I would disagree that the HD 650's are not very snappy; both that and any veil sure seemed removed when I paired them with a multi-thousand dollar tube amp. In fact it was a sound I'll probably remember forever 
gs1000.gif

could you name few of those amps...?
popcorn.gif

i promise i won't click "ADD TO CART"
wink_face.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #27,724 of 46,499
Sure enough, it was all about the Zana Deux tube amp from Eddie Current. That thing paired with the HD 5xx or 6xx headphones has the ability to steal your audiophile heart in about 5 seconds. It gives you a euphoric sense like you have very truly and literally stepped into an alternate dimension with vibrant, lush, beautiful, hard hitting sounds that are always 'out of your head'... I Schiit you not! (Sorry this isn't a Schiit amp either), it's Edddie Current, the one some Head-Fi'ers were calling the "end game table"). And they even have another amp that many considered even superior to it called the Eddie Current Studio.

Quote from the 2015 SF Head Fi meet:
  Alright, impressions time.

As someone who normally brings my Stax setup to meets, I decided to play it a little differently this year. Rather than bringing my main rig I decided it would be fun to bring the pair of Senn. HD 600s that I use on the computer and ONLY LISTEN TO THEM the entire day. As many head-fi'ers know, the HD 600s scale about as well as any headphone to quality of the rig running them. The way I figure, they'd be a great measuring stick for all the rigs that would be on display.

--

I spent 95% of my day listening through the HD 600s, stopping only to have the very briefest of listens to a few of the latest dynamic TOTL headphones.  HE 1000s (nice, but 3k nice?) and Mr. Speakers Ether (better than anything Mr. Speakers has done before). As nice as those two headphones were, I don't think I'll be giving up my SR-009s any time soon.

Next up was the Eddie Current table, aka the end-game table!

Holy sh#t! The HD 600s sound AMAZING out of the Zana Deux. What a pairing! I was nearly ready walk away with one of these. The sound was lush, powerful and open. Just beautiful. The HD 600s scale beautifully. The Zana absolutely blew the Oppo HA-1 away.

On the downside, Zana ran very hot. Hot enough to give me pause about potentially keeping Zana on a desk as a cat owner.

I am seriously tempted to buy a Zana.

As good as the Zana sounded, the Studio was better in every way. This amp is THE TRUTH! Seriously, this is the best dynamic amp I've ever heard, full stop. The HD 600s sounded downright holographic! Punchy, open, just the slightest hint of warmth. Power for days. This amp has it all. You'd never know you were listening to (just) $400 headphones. The sound the Studio can draw out of the HD 600s is just stunning.

For those of you lucky enough to afford one of these I envy you. I'm in the middle of saving for a house so something like the Studio would set me back a good two or three months of saving. Yeah, not going to happen, but I can dream. For a third of the price I'd probably take a Zana.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #27,725 of 46,499
This is a VST called Voxengo Drumformer

Yep, I've had several of their VSTs for many years. I have probably a dozen EQ options to get that result, and multi-band and also multi-stage compressors. While I'm extreme on the tech side, a part of me still loves getting there through just acoustic means, if possible. There's also new plug-in by Sonarworks (not to be confused with Cakewalk Sonar), devoted to correcting of headphones.

I'd tried a demo with their HD650 setting. It did bring up the subs, and improve the air but flattens the high mids dips meant to be in the HD650 design making them less easy on the ears. It also had a phase shift effect I didn't like. It's amazing how I can EQ the heck out of something when mixing or mastering it, but put a few EQ tweaks on headphones, and it just never sounds right to me.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #27,726 of 46,499
  Yes I am in the exact process of doing the same thing.
I keep most of the headphones I bought too for such reasons. All I try to do is to try to rule out the ones I do not like (personal preferences ofc).
Only thing that stops me from buying 5-10 headphone is the lack of funds because of my young age.
But one day... :D
Cheers.

I hope you have a big bank acct. It's an expensive proposition doing what you do. 
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #27,727 of 46,499
  Agreed. Also our ears are different and we cannot make any definitive and objective conclusions by making comparisons. We try to use our memory when comparing headphone gear and that is actually completely impossible.

Many times it is not the sound quality we are judging but emotions related to what we see, touch, what we expect regarding to the price paid etc.

Ya got it right. I call it the "Honeymoon Phase" with new gear.
I've learned to filter. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #27,728 of 46,499
Yes I too have heard Eddie Current Zana Duex is almost end game for both HD650s and HD800s.
any other amp that you would consider almost achieves Zana Duex's teir of performance if not similar signature for less than $2000.

Have any one here tried/auditioned ICON AUDIO amps with HD650s...?
They are well reviewed at innerfidelity.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #27,729 of 46,499

Yeah but my point remains. In a showroom environment the HD 650's might easily be perceived as lacking in detail & drive whereas other lesser headphones would appear to have bags of detail.

Anyway, what I'm reading about the Nighthawk's is intrigueing. Too expensive for me but they do seem to have a somewhat similar sound.

I'll be getting the Nighthawks in about a month, I'll post my impressions of them compared to the HD 650 after spending some time with them.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #27,731 of 46,499

Yes you're about right. Here's my perfect formula for a finely tuned HD 650 by EQ: about +1 db @ 45hz, -1 @ 75hz and +2 at 7khz and above. But of course this can be done differently for you. This is a VST called Voxengo Drumformer plugin which is the single most useful mastering plugin I have ever used and so much more than the parametric EQ which as at the top - it also has 3 bands of individually tweakable compression (to add faster 'slam') if adjusted to a positive ratio; expansion if adjusted to a negative ratio, and 3 bands of optional saturation.

I'm using this, another VST and in the process of rolling tubes to get the best sound sig. out of the 650 and my other headphones too.

I "saved" many songs thanks to multiband compression mostly to remove some hiss in voices or just hide some bad recordings(some ugly live stuff). many of those being the kind of songs I love in a car or on a bad radio device in the shower, but can't stand with good headphones/IEMs.
the irony of something enjoyable only when it's destroyed enough ^_^. now that I think about it, it's probably one reason why people use colored tube amps and vinyls.  I'm having an eureka moment right now.
eek.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #27,732 of 46,499
It is fact. The domimant aspect of the HD800's sound is the treble. You are also exaggerating how much the HD800 changes with amps. You can pump more warmth with amps but it still is a treble forward sound that is dry. It is also an unatural sound. I had invested a lof of money into my old HD800 and I had to accept the fact that it is not made for music enjoyment listning(Some may like that sound though)

You don't seem to understand that a lusher headphone doesn't do well with micro detail like a brighter HD800, Q701 etc. Headphones are dwtailed because they are bright, treble focused and lean. Obviously the headphones will have to be in the same league.

Some times you read something on head -fi and you really want to respond to it.....then you think....why bother....just be quiet and enjoy your music  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back