Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #27,031 of 46,499
  Yeah lots of great tones and textures in that - one of the best recordings ever done in Canada - along with it's 25year-old original The Trinity Sessions.

Btw - if anyone wants info on obtaining this (it's a true gem - great on a full system too) PM me. I can point you in the right direction, as well as send you an .srt file of perfectly-timed lyrics I spent hours creating. Please be patient for an answer, but it really is an incredible DVD and audio experience.

First thing I did arriving home is try this with HD800, and yes, it does sound fantastic. Right from the outset, the harmonica is really satisfying. The mandolin has the detail required to let every string have it's moment (so important for that instrument, if its sound gets washed out it loses its charm in my mind). Each voice has a wildly different texture. Really good stuff!

PM sent.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #27,032 of 46,499
  First thing I did arriving home is try this with HD800, and yes, it does sound fantastic. Right from the outset, the harmonica is really satisfying. The mandolin has the detail required to let every string have it's moment (so important for that instrument, if its sound gets washed out it loses its charm in my mind). Each voice has a wildly different texture. Really good stuff!

PM sent.

Glad you liked it, and it whets my appetite to hear it on the HD-800.

Will answer any PM's Monday (work 12's the next two days) so please be patient - will be well worth it :)

Spreading the joy - it's a classic all audiophiles should try.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #27,033 of 46,499
  Glad you liked it, and it whets my appetite to hear it on the HD-800.

Will answer any PM's Monday (work 12's the next two days) so please be patient - will be well worth it :)

Spreading the joy - it's a classic all audiophiles should try.

No rush at all! Take your time....and I agree, it would be a great track to compare gear I'm thinking, just because there's never too much going on, you'd have very clear sonic signposts. I will try it eventually.

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #27,034 of 46,499
I'm after some recommendations on a reasonably priced amp with HD650 synergy. Picked them up last week and as expected most of my gear won't drive them. They are brilliant through my Dennon amp, but it's not too portable LOL. One surprise is they seem to have great synergy with my Surface 2 RT using Media Monkey. The Surface 2 has a Wolfson DAC and seems to have a pretty decent headphone amp. I'd be interested if anyone else here has one and how it compares to your other DAC / amps?

Looking to use Fiio X5, Galaxy S6, iPhone 5 and MacBook Air / Pro as sources. I could use the X5 as a DAC with the MacBooks and just go for an amp. Would like to keep the investment under $400 ATM to keep the Mrs happy :wink: The Bravo Audio Ocean has taken my interest at this stage. If I went for a DAC / amp, it would need Android / iOS compatibility. Thoughts anyone?

Loving the HD650s, huge step up from my Grado SR125s.

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #27,035 of 46,499
Many people seem to rate the Fiio E12 highly for the HD 650. I owned an E18 and liked it. The E12 has even more power. Not to be confused with the E12a which is more suited to IEM's.

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #27,036 of 46,499
Thanks, Solrighal. In the price range and I can get one locally, so I'll give it a go.

Still interested in the a valve amp as I've never had one. Anyone used a Bravo Audio Ocean with HD 650s? Might wind up with both...

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #27,037 of 46,499
wow, the HD650 sound sig makes me re-appreciate Avenged Sevenfold, one of my fav (Jimmy The Rev) band, i now feel so emo lol

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #27,038 of 46,499
If you don't need or want to go portable there are a million options. Well, not quite but there's a lot to choose from. I don't know much about the Ocean & I've never heard it but it does come up here every now & again.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #27,039 of 46,499
  Thanks, Solrighal. In the price range and I can get one locally, so I'll give it a go.

Still interested in the a valve amp as I've never had one. Anyone used a Bravo Audio Ocean with HD 650s? Might wind up with both...

once had the bravo ocean, loved it and then became a disto for it within the region for a while, until later they became sour and stopped me as distro, when i managed to bulk a 50 unit that time.

okay that was OT a bit regarding this, but on sound wise, it does have a quite Solid State amp feel to it, depending on which 12AU7 u put into it

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #27,042 of 46,499

Hope I'm not going off topic and turning this into an amp thread, but really interested in peoples experience with various amps used with HD 650s. Any comments on the Bravo Ocean versus the XDUOO TA-01? The TA-01 looks to have more drive and in the price range. Interested in SQ and on how easy it is to change the TA-01 gain (internal switch sadly). I have serval pairs of lower impedance cans I will use from time to time. Need to switch to closed backs when the Mrs is around...

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #27,043 of 46,499

Hope I'm not going off topic and turning this into an amp thread, but really interested in peoples experience with various amps used with HD 650s. Any comments on the Bravo Ocean versus the XDUOO TA-01? The TA-01 looks to have more drive and in the price range. Interested in SQ and on how easy it is to change the TA-01 gain (internal switch sadly). I have serval pairs of lower impedance cans I will use from time to time. Need to switch to closed backs when the Mrs is around...

I can't believe @Solrighal hasn't mentioned Garage1217 as an amp maker you should be looking at....

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #27,044 of 46,499
Mostly Gordon if you are still interested in a valve amp, may I suggest an amp from http://garage1217.com/index.html. they have several to chose from and they are tops.  They hit way above their price point and have lots of tube rolling options, including the FrankenEmber like in my image

Users who are viewing this thread

Back