Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #27,016 of 46,499
quote name="Jeff Y" url="/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/27000#post_11751752"

In terms of laws of diminishing returns, HD650 does very well in anyone's system I think. But, I also think the most dangerous word in audio is "good enough." I just want to keep exploring, looking for improvements. And because of it, yes, we're all kinda freaks 
biggrin.gif

This might make you laugh .....

I'm out in the garden, streaming from Itunes on an Ipod Touch ..... Digital out to a Topping NX2 ....... Feeding an hd650 which has a short lead for mobile which cost me £13.

Many in Headfi would say that it must sound disgusting!! Not at all. The Senns still sound great albeit at lower volume so I'm not pushing the NX2 too hard.

The Senns work well in all kinds of conditions, even down to this portable setup.

Having said that, I normally use a standard hd650 from hi res files through Micro or Polaris indoors.

Just shows how versatile the hd650 actually is really. Honestly, it sounds absolutely fine.

Sometimes, I think we can all be a bit snooty about hifi!!!
blink.gif
[/quote]

+1. 650 indeed does very well as a "mobile' around my condo, hooked to my SR71B in balanced. Smooth as silk.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #27,017 of 46,499
yeah, I'm waiting for my Polaris to arrive . Shipped from Phoenix on Tiesday. Got to L.A. last night. And this is USPS Int Priority.
Patience is a virtue.....:popcorn:

i purchased it used from someone from another state 2 days ago, yesterday he sent it out, today it reached my local postal office, so tomorrow or Monday i will sure be getting it

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #27,018 of 46,499
i purchased it used from someone from another state 2 days ago, yesterday he sent it out, today it reached my local postal office, so tomorrow or Monday i will sure be getting it

Nice. Let us know how you find it with 650.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #27,019 of 46,499

Yes it is.  I feel like a 5-yo on Xmas Eve! Been a loooong time I've had that rush.

Apparently, Polaris comes in a plastic carrying case! If true, it's even more of a bargain at its retail price!

Wow that looks like a handgun case!
I wonder how much they really make out of selling 1 Polaris. Probably not much...

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #27,020 of 46,499
  LCD-2.2 was my go-to for large-scale classical. For 2.5 yrs. Then I got 560 last month. It gives me LCD-2.2 without the terrible clamp and weight (I don't even know 560 is on me head, seriously). imo, 560 has even better highs than LCD-2.2, more pristine and airy, without being bright and harsh. and 560 has textured bass that is not bloated. There were times when I thought the deep bass was a bit bloaty on my LCD-2.2 (e.g. some Bach organ pieces, Saint-Saens Symph #3), paired with BHA-1.

560 is also faster (than 2.2 and 650) -- something to do with its SINGLE layered plan mag design.

My advice: try to listen to both at a dealer. 560 is slightly less outlay than LCD-2.2 at retail. (I haven't heard the fazors). Then decide. Don't get both.

First time I've been told/seen that on Head-fi. lol
Sounds like I'll be demoing quite a few headphones! Will always have the HD650 by my side for comparison though.
LCD's are cheaper than HE-560 here in Korea unfortunately (crazy, I know) so I can't tell for sure what I'll get. But then the price difference still isn't too big. As long as it sounds good.... well it sounds good to me! :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #27,021 of 46,499
This might make you laugh .....

I'm out in the garden, streaming from Itunes on an Ipod Touch ..... Digital out to a Topping NX2 ....... Feeding an hd650 which has a short lead for mobile which cost me £13.

Many in Headfi would say that it must sound disgusting!! Not at all. The Senns still sound great albeit at lower volume so I'm not pushing the NX2 too hard.

The Senns work well in all kinds of conditions, even down to this portable setup.

Having said that, I normally use a standard hd650 from hi res files through Micro or Polaris indoors.

Just shows how versatile the hd650 actually is really. Honestly, it sounds absolutely fine.

Sometimes, I think we can all be a bit snooty about hifi!!!
blink.gif

No it's not surprising at all! However, my friend's ipod nano sounds horrid. :p
I wonder what would happen if Sennheiser released different ohm version of a headphone, especially the HD800 and the 650 just like Beyerdynamic does with their 36ohm, 250 ohm, and 600 ohm version does. Just imagine a HD650 plugged into a smartphone... :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #27,023 of 46,499
No it's not surprising at all! However, my friend's ipod nano sounds horrid. :p
I wonder what would happen if Sennheiser released different ohm version of a headphone, especially the HD800 and the 650 just like Beyerdynamic does with their 36ohm, 250 ohm, and 600 ohm version does. Just imagine a HD650 plugged into a smartphone... :)

What a lovely idea. An amp not necessary then; not even an NX2 which is the cheapest digital amp that I could easily find!! Beyer do it, although I'm not sure that the 32 ohm versions are much more sensitive than the 250 ohm versions.

I guess the Senn equivalent is the px100.

In answer to how much money Jeremy makes on his amps ..... It's not actually a great deal. He barely keeps everything running at the moment. Tbh, I think he's more of an enthusiast than a retailer. Solderdude definitely is. (He designed them)

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #27,025 of 46,499

Supernatural. A bargain!! That's a great album.

Nice deal - wow. The number of times I've listened to Supernatural and never get tired of it. So many good artists pitched in on that album, and wonderfully recorded with a lot of differing styles. All to the unmistakable groove of Carlos fronting the gits. How does it say on one song? "Santana licks the gits with precision",,,,

LCD-2.2 was my go-to for large-scale classical. For 2.5 yrs. Then I got 560 last month. It gives me LCD-2.2 without the terrible clamp and weight (I don't even know 560 is on me head, seriously). imo, 560 has even better highs than LCD-2.2, more pristine and airy, without being bright and harsh. and 560 has textured bass that is not bloated. There were times when I thought the deep bass was a bit bloaty on my LCD-2.2 (e.g. some Bach organ pieces, Saint-Saens Symph #3), paired with BHA-1.

560 is also faster (than 2.2 and 650) -- something to do with its SINGLE layered plan mag design.

My advice: try to listen to both at a dealer. 560 is slightly less outlay than LCD-2.2 at retail. (I haven't heard the fazors). Then decide. Don't get both.

I think that's the first I've seen the LCD2.2 touted for large-scale classical!? It has, to my ears and gear, a quite intimate soundstage. A bit wider than the 650 but not a lot. The imaging isn't spectacular - the fazor was meant to address that at the expense of a bit of bass linearity.

The incoming HD-800's will be my stab at a wider soundstage on purpose, with, as Tyll puts it, "laser-like imaging". They tend to be the highest recommend around for wide classical, with a brighter top-end to capture detail and the air to create that wider image. Here's to hoping lol - it's a big purchase and not my favourite genre.

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #27,028 of 46,499
Yeah... With HD800… You stand in awe of classical. The only reason you wouldn't get them is if ONLY liked them for that, and that's not your reason for being.

Heh, I have lot's of reasons for being :) My primary usage won't be classical although it's something I want to experience more of. I've been warming up on some of the better-known big symphonies and popular classics, but not my main cuppa tea. More that my tastes are widening as a result of this hobby that really took off with the 650. But I see them having a lot of fun with a few other beloved tracks too - here's one:

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #27,030 of 46,499
I'm not home to try it with them... But yeah I could see it. The nice sparkly detailed sound would play well with this I think

Yeah lots of great tones and textures in that - one of the best recordings ever done in Canada - along with it's 25year-old original The Trinity Sessions.

Btw - if anyone wants info on obtaining this (it's a true gem - great on a full system too) PM me. I can point you in the right direction, as well as send you an .srt file of perfectly-timed lyrics I spent hours creating. Please be patient for an answer, but it really is an incredible DVD and audio experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back