Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #26,581 of 46,499

betcha you'll sell the RS1i AND 800 if you do the 650.....

Now who's provocative? 
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #26,583 of 46,499
  LOL....No chance in %$*^$*^. I find my HE-500 to warm at times and they're considered 'relatively neutral'....or at least more so then HD650.... I think... :p

I'll give you your dues: I haven't heard a Zepp version yet that doesn't need help 
wink.gif

I mean, I love the music but...

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #26,584 of 46,499
  I'll give you your dues: I haven't heard a Zepp version yet that doesn't need help 
wink.gif

I mean, I love the music but...

Oh, I'm just going to say it, it's a difficult sound, they have. I don't know if it's poor recording, or whatever. 

That's the thing though, these Grados make Zepp a great experience, and that ALONE makes them sacred in my stable haha.

And as far as RS1e....I would try them, but the only reason I got RS1i is because I got them used.... The limited range in which I like Grados makes their price a bit....high.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #26,586 of 46,499
  Oh, I'm just going to say it, it's a difficult sound, they have. I don't know if it's poor recording, or whatever. 

That's the thing though, these Grados make Zepp a great experience, and that ALONE makes them sacred in my stable haha.

And as far as RS1e....I would try them, but the only reason I got RS1i is because I got them used.... The limited range in which I like Grados makes their price a bit....high.

No worries lol. Jimmy Page was once asked (after the latest latest remasters) which version he liked best.

His answer was "the original tapes". It's sad, but I think we'll not likely hear them better.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #26,587 of 46,499
  Led Zeppelin. The way Zeppelin sounds through these Grados is enough for me to keep them. That combo of high energy, and the mid range catering to Jimmy's playing... but not so dark they sound dirty. 

Maybe it's not logical, but it totally works for me.

That's what I mean. If what you're listening to is just a lead guitar or a female vocalist then Grados are apparently stellar, because their response is geared towards that. But throw some heavier metal at them where the kick drums are prevalent, or really anything that has a focus on the lower end of the spectrum. I'm not talking hip hop or EDM, just anything where frequencies under 100Hz matter.

Audio is subjective by nature, so I can't say anyone is "wrong" in liking ANYTHING. I'm no longer a basshead, but the way Grado falls off a cliff with the bass is just impossible for me to enjoy. The PS500 was close, but the rest were just a bucket of "oh hail naw". :p

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #26,589 of 46,499

Ya gotta try out the PS500, that's my fav Grado. Close to the 650. Seriously. Bass-iest of the Grados I've heard, and that includes GS1K and RS1i. Highs are smooth on the PS500. Not "bright" at all.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #26,590 of 46,499

Ya gotta try out the PS500, that's my fav Grado. Close to the 650. Seriously. Bass-iest of the Grados I've heard, and that includes GS1K and RS1i. Highs are smooth on the PS500. Not "bright" at all.

^^^

Easily the best they've got. Still uncomfortable as hell, but far and away more "even" in presentation and very charming in their own right.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #26,591 of 46,499

That's what I mean. If what you're listening to is just a lead guitar or a female vocalist then Grados are apparently stellar, because their response is geared towards that. But throw some heavier metal at them where the kick drums are prevalent, or really anything that has a focus on the lower end of the spectrum. I'm not talking hip hop or EDM, just anything where frequencies under 100Hz matter.

Audio is subjective by nature, so I can't say anyone is "wrong" in liking ANYTHING. I'm no longer a basshead, but the way Grado falls off a cliff with the bass is just impossible for me to enjoy. The PS500 was close, but the rest were just a bucket of "oh hail naw". :p

I do not disagree at all. Canadian Maestro has PS500, and I got my RS1i from him, I should find out what the differences are.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #26,593 of 46,499

Geez, did ya have to say that??? I feel so cheapened now.....
frown.gif

ksc75smile.gif

Of course you do sunshine 
tongue_smile.gif

Actually I had considered PS500 beforehand, I opted for RS1i. If I wanted Grados, I want it to raaaack out to some classic rock.... who who knew, it's decent with some other things too!

Plus at work, they create a buzz with the ladies. It's the wood.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #26,595 of 46,499

Very nice vintage steel. I have the AU-717. It's good with the 650 but there is a little hiss. With planar mags the Sansui is brilliant. 

Thanks!!

Even on full volume via headphone out - no hiss with HD-650.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back