Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #26,566 of 46,499
Great headphone that attracts well grounded people!!
wink.gif

I love the way that the thread twists and turns with none of yer usual noses in the air because a post dared to move off topic!!! That's what has made it so good imo.

I use the Polaris a lot with mine and the briliant Ifi DAC/amp. Both very high powered and make the Senn sing.

+1 mate - keeps it alive and interesting. We all love the 650 sound and it's a benchmark for all our comparisons and tests. Beats "so I like the 650 - do you like the 650?" any day.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #26,567 of 46,499

i have it...its spectacular...dynamic range is  off the charts!!!

you mean the 650 per se? with which amp, do tell....

i meant i have Kodo / Heartbeat Drummers of Japan album...the Sheffield Lab version and with HRT. Music Streamer>Speedballed Bottlehead Crack>HD650 it really gives me chills...wonder how it would sound with HD800 with its expansive soundstage.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #26,568 of 46,499
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #26,569 of 46,499
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #26,570 of 46,499
  i meant i have Kodo / Heartbeat Drummers of Japan album...the Sheffield Lab version and with HRT. Music Streamer>Speedballed Bottlehead Crack>HD650 it really gives me chills...wonder how it would sound with HD800 with its expansive soundstage.

I'm surprised the D.R. on that version only measures DR13. Must be the RMS averaging and the fact that it's an almost continuous stream of drum beats, because the perceived range is very impressive indeed!

interesting new thread with HD800 compared to RS1i, if you're interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773233/hd800-vs-rs1i-battle-of-bright-cans

Damn that thread's title is off-putting lol.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #26,571 of 46,499
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #26,572 of 46,499

Provocative.  Wonder what the folks over at the multiple Grado forums may have to say about that thread. 
evil_smiley.gif

Grado-on-steroids indeed lol. Me-thinks his win went to the Senn :wink:

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #26,574 of 46,499

I have no idea how that's a comparison. Yeah the HD800 is bright but the RS1i sounds like music's coming out of an answering machine. There have been two headphones in my life where I put them on and had no idea how people enjoy the sound, one was the Sennheiser IE800 and the other is the RS1i. 

lol, Well whoah, they're not THAT bad. Ok maybe they can be almost that bad with some music :p

But with others, lov'em. RS1i are kind of a chameleon to me, because yes they can be really tinny at times, and then other times they are fantastically fun. Some cans work with all genres, Grados definitely do not.... but when they work, they're excellent.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #26,576 of 46,499
  lol, Well whoah, they're not THAT bad. Ok maybe they can be almost that bad with some music :p

But with others, lov'em. RS1i are kind of a chameleon to me, because yes they can be really tinny at times, and then other times they are fantastically fun. Some cans work with all genres, Grados definitely do not.... but when they work, they're excellent.

I think that's my problem with Grados. They're tuned WAYYY too specifically toward those three songs so anything that doesn't fall into a similar spectrum sounds strange. People constantly tell me that Grados are great for rock and metal, but I just could not listen to it through them. The kick drums sounded like thin plastic, the bass guitar has no bottom end. It's just all lead guitar, which makes sense since Clapton was one of the songs he uses. 

Maybe it's like you said, if you listen to the kind of music Grados are built towards then you're set, but I guess I don't. XD

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #26,577 of 46,499

he likes his 800. but he resists the 650 (apparently doesn't like the Dark Side of the Force...)

Was going to look for a suitable YouTube of Yoda decrying young Annakin's turmoils, but then I'd need a pic of Yoda in cans, and, ya know.....

My Crack and Gustard need to try an 800 sometime. Still kicking myself over the missed deal, but the patient the padawan must be lol

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #26,579 of 46,499

I have no idea how that's a comparison. Yeah the HD800 is bright but the RS1i sounds like music's coming out of an answering machine. There have been two headphones in my life where I put them on and had no idea how people enjoy the sound, one was the Sennheiser IE800 and the other is the RS1i. 

You should audition the RS1e, if you have the chance.  I feel its a great improvement over the "i".  The only issue is there a slight mid-bass dip.  But a great headphone, even directly out of a DAP...

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #26,580 of 46,499

I think that's my problem with Grados. They're tuned WAYYY too specifically toward those three songs so anything that doesn't fall into a similar spectrum sounds strange. People constantly tell me that Grados are great for rock and metal, but I just could not listen to it through them. The kick drums sounded like thin plastic, the bass guitar has no bottom end. It's just all lead guitar, which makes sense since Clapton was one of the songs he uses. 

Maybe it's like you said, if you listen to the kind of music Grados are built towards then you're set, but I guess I don't. XD

Led Zeppelin. The way Zeppelin sounds through these Grados is enough for me to keep them. That combo of high energy, and the mid range catering to Jimmy's playing... but not so dark they sound dirty. 

Maybe it's not logical, but it totally works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back