Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #25,831 of 46,499
Originally Posted by Anathema123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For amps, I was looking at the Woo Audio WA6. I've done some digging, and it seems like it should be a good combination with the 650s.
Please note that I live in Europe, and the WA6 will cost me ~1000 dollars.
Would it still be a good choice at this price? Does anyone have experience pairing a WA6 with HD650s?

Cheers!

For that much I'd rather have the La Figaro 339, much more syrupy mids. But it's an OTL so it might not play nicely with your other headphones

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #25,833 of 46,499
  @connieflyer I havent been following this thread much since I am happy with my 6SN7 but what do you have going on up top??  haha

I am using the 6sn7 adapter and an adapter on top of that to be able to use two 7193  single triode tubes.  I had been using a KenRad 6sn7 vt 231 and really enjoyed the sound, and soundfield but after trying these two KenRad 7193 JAN's from 1942 the sound is larger, the bass hits harder and still tight. Mids are smooth as glass and the highs have a solid staging.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #25,834 of 46,499
Hi all,

For amps, I was looking at the Woo Audio WA6. I've done some digging, and it seems like it should be a good combination with the 650s.
Would it still be a good choice at this price? Does anyone have experience pairing a WA6 with HD650s?

Cheers!

I use WA6 with 650. Very enjoyable matching. The WA6 does not sound like a typical tube amp, and can still reveal details up high. Stock tubes only, I haven't played around with tubes as others have. At $1K, that is expensive. Try the audio marts with a bit of patience.

I have also read that WA3 can be a very good match as well, for the 650.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #25,835 of 46,499
Jun 6, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #25,836 of 46,499
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

After quite a few hours of research, I've decided to take a gamble; I've ordered the Feliks-Audio Elise.

People seem to really like it, and it just felt right. I think I'll be getting much better value for money, since almost half the cost of the Woo audio/La Figaro amps comes from importing costs, for me. I'm visiting the States next year, perhaps I'll pick one up then.

As far as DACs go; I've settled on the uber Bifrost. Other DACs in the price range all seem to have elements that don't appeal to me.

I'll be sure to post some impressions once my new toys arrive - Other posters in the Elise amp thread are talking about month+ wait times, so I suppose I'll need to be patient.

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #25,837 of 46,499

After quite a few hours of research, I've decided to take a gamble; I've ordered the Feliks-Audio Elise.

People seem to really like it, and it just felt right. I think I'll be getting much better value for money, since almost half the cost of the Woo audio/La Figaro amps comes from importing costs, for me. I'm visiting the States next year, perhaps I'll pick one up then.

As far as DACs go; I've settled on the uber Bifrost. Other DACs in the price range all seem to have elements that don't appeal to me.

I'll be sure to post some impressions once my new toys arrive - Other posters in the Elise amp thread are talking about month+ wait times, so I suppose I'll need to be patient.

will be waiting for ur impressions
popcorn.gif
...this Feliks-Audio Elise is really getting a lot of praise.

Jun 6, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #25,839 of 46,499

I think you will be very happy, the Elise is getting much praise.

Congrats 
smile.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #25,840 of 46,499
I feel weird because I use a $99 Focusrite Scarlett Solo and it's still the best setup I've heard outside of my old LCD-2/Schiit combo. And honestly, on some level, I actually prefer this one. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #25,842 of 46,499
I have the Bifrost Über and Lake People G109S (SS) and love them with my HD650's.

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my setup.

Definitely keeping my HD650s, but I'm looking to replace my FiiO E7/E9 combo.

I'm more or less set on an uber Bifrost for the DAC, although I'm open to suggestions of course.

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #25,843 of 46,499
I admit I have my eye on the CEntrance DACport right now. I'm honestly not someone who believes in insanely expensive hardware of this nature, for example I was seriously underwhelmed by the Burson Conductor, but I have a sneaking suspicion a $100 mic interface isn't quite bringing things out to full potential. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #25,844 of 46,499
  I admit I have my eye on the CEntrance DACport right now. I'm honestly not someone who believes in insanely expensive hardware of this nature, for example I was seriously underwhelmed by the Burson Conductor, but I have a sneaking suspicion a $100 mic interface isn't quite bringing things out to full potential. 

What threw you off about the Conductor, may I ask?

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #25,845 of 46,499
Anyone else notice distortion on the Best of Jazz Audiophile Voices CD? can't tell if there's something wrong with my right channel or if there really is some distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back