Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #25,441 of 46,499

could u please compare h10 to asgard/valhalla2 with 650s

It's been a while since I had the Val 2 in house but I'll share what I remember. The Val 2 has a very clean almost solid state sound with just a splash of tube goodness. The h10 has a bit more warmth than the Val 2 and imparts more dynamics especially at low to medium volume levels. 

The Val 2 is quite flexible for a tube amp and with the gain switch can power some of the easier to drive planar mags such as the he400i and possibly lcd-2. The h10 seems to excel equally with dynamic driver based cans as it does with planar mags. 

The h10 has real grunt and power in reserve with laser tight grip on the transducer. For me, this gives it the flexibility to pair very well with a diversity of cans. While the Val 2 is versatile for a OTL amp, it just can't match the flexibility of the h10. Although, you can color the flavor with tubes on the Val. 

While I really like the Val 2 for build quality, nice looks and good warranty...I haven't found a pair of cans that I like better with the Val after getting the h10. 

Hope this helps. 

May 24, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #25,442 of 46,499
Does anyone know of a cheap shorter cable :grinning:?

I just finished 2 HD650 sets recently (second set for @DDDamian) - but i can custom you a cheaper one similar to the stock they sell if you dont want to get too fancy. I'm actually making a set today for @mikoss, but itll be a balanced Audeze set heh

Hoping to get my site up in the next week or so, maybe setup a giveaway to kick it off :) 

May 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #25,443 of 46,499

could u please compare h10 to asgard/valhalla2 with 650s

It's been a while since I had the Val 2 in house but I'll share what I remember. The Val 2 has a very clean almost solid state sound with just a splash of tube goodness. The h10 has a bit more warmth than the Val 2 and imparts more dynamics especially at low to medium volume levels. 

The Val 2 is quite flexible for a tube amp and with the gain switch can power some of the easier to drive planar mags such as the he400i and possibly lcd-2. The h10 seems to excel equally with dynamic driver based cans as it does with planar mags. 

The h10 has real grunt and power in reserve with laser tight grip on the transducer. For me, this gives it the flexibility to pair very well with a diversity of cans. While the Val 2 is versatile for a OTL amp, it just can't match the flexibility of the h10. Although, you can color the flavor with tubes on the Val. 

While I really like the Val 2 for build quality, nice looks and good warranty...I haven't found a pair of cans that I like better with the Val after getting the h10. 

Hope this helps. 

thanks!
how is the MIDRANGE on h10???
did u receive ur Cavalli Liquid Carbon? impressions?

May 24, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #25,444 of 46,499
The h10 brings out very natural and tonally accurate mids. I'm very pleased with the vocals that are being reproduced. 

The Carbon won't be out for another three months. 

May 24, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #25,445 of 46,499
I just finished 2 HD650 sets recently (second set for @DDDamian
) - but i can custom you a cheaper one similar to the stock they sell if you dont want to get too fancy. I'm actually making a set today for @mikoss
, but itll be a balanced Audeze set heh

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Hoping to get my site up in the next week or so, maybe setup a giveaway to kick it off :) 

That brown cable with the Viablue connectors is gorgeous!

Edit - are you in the US?

May 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #25,446 of 46,499
That brown cable with the Viablue connectors is gorgeous!

Edit - are you in the US?

Hey thanks! And thanks for the +rep! 

Nope im in Canada - but id say 3/4ths of my customers are from the US, shipping isnt too bad - about $12USD w/ tracking (at least to the few i shipped to LA recently) takes about 4-5 business days and the value isnt high enough to get hit with import/duty

I even priced out the shipping costs to a possible customer in Qatar and it was surprisingly about the same heh. 

May 24, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #25,447 of 46,499

I just finished 2 HD650 sets recently (second set for @DDDamian) - but i can custom you a cheaper one similar to the stock they sell if you dont want to get too fancy. I'm actually making a set today for @mikoss, but itll be a balanced Audeze set heh

OMG - that's cooler than I envisioned! You're right - it all blends very well with the connectors. Still thinking of what I need for the LCD2.2's - will be in touch. Thanks man - can't wait to get them here!

May 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #25,448 of 46,499

thanks!
how is the MIDRANGE on h10???
did u receive ur Cavalli Liquid Carbon? impressions?

I'm interested in this too. @mikoss weren't you getting one of the Cavelli's too? If I'm not totally mistaken, would love to hear your thoughts, and any others.

Edit: missed MattTCG's comment about them not being out yet - was I thinking the Liquid Gold?

May 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #25,450 of 46,499
Hello all
I'm considering purchasing a pair of HD650, now that the price seems to be on the decline. I already own the iFI iDSD Micro. How do you think the 650's would sound directly out of the iDSD, without a dedicated amp? I understand that it would be better with one, but it is out of budget for the time being. So, the question is, would the iDSD-->HD650 setup be a no-no?

May 24, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #25,451 of 46,499
Hello all
I'm considering purchasing a pair of HD650, now that the price seems to be on the decline. I already own the iFI iDSD Micro. How do you think the 650's would sound directly out of the iDSD, without a dedicated amp? I understand that it would be better with one, but it is out of budget for the time being. So, the question is, would the iDSD-->HD650 setup be a no-no?

I considered it a very fine stup, ifi idsd micro is a very good DAC+AMP. The amp in it can pull a lot of power, more than you will ever need, and it sounds amazing, really. I think that you would be very happy with this setup. For hd650 in particular, i could use it with fiio e12 and never think of buiyng anotyher AMP, but if you do not need a portable one, matrix m-stage hpa2 is actually extremely good for a cheap/er amp!

May 24, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #25,452 of 46,499

Hey thanks! And thanks for the +rep! 

Nope im in Canada - but id say 3/4ths of my customers are from the US, shipping isnt too bad - about $12USD w/ tracking (at least to the few i shipped to LA recently) takes about 4-5 business days and the value isnt high enough to get hit with import/duty

I even priced out the shipping costs to a possible customer in Qatar and it was surprisingly about the same heh. 

Sadly I'm in Scotland so I won't be able to sample your work. It still looks damn nice though. What kind of cable is that one?

It's about time I bought myself a soldering iron. Some steady hands would be good too
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #25,455 of 46,499

Sadly I'm in Scotland so I won't be able to sample your work. It still looks damn nice though. What kind of cable is that one?

It's about time I bought myself a soldering iron. Some steady hands would be good too
beerchug.gif

I can answer that one: Core is Canare L-4E6S 21AWG cable. Braided with 275lb Paracord.

He strips the outer jacket, runs the individual cores through the paracord and braids them for noise rejection. The connectors and colours are personal choice.

@q2klepto - for the LCD2.2 cables I'm thinking about 6' long, the coyote brown / black and wooden splitter - will email full specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back