Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #23,101 of 46,497

After searching a little i found :

http://www.uaudio.com/about
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/

Thanks in advance.

UAD is one of the big four companies, yes, but they are not the company that nailed it. There are glaring oversights and shortcomings in their approach and algorithm design that fail to model certain aspects of the hardware (despite their own claims), and although they sound very good and still usable, sticklers like myself and many others ( i suppose we are the equivalent of audiophiles in the music production world) can tell you that they failed, not to mention the analysis equipment that can prove it in addition to the multitude of listening tests from many thousands of certain music producers and users and those who have the actual hardware. UAD would probably be the equivalent of iBasso in the audiophile world. Very good, but not the best.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #23,102 of 46,497
Using JRMC (on a Mac) as my software player has allowed me to play around with various VST's, some specifically designed to add a 'tube effect' to the sound. I had quite a lot of success with them and was generally impressed right up until recently when I was lucky enough to get a Project Ember at home for a few weeks. The VST's didn't come close to the real deal. And the Ember isn't even the real deal itself, being a hybrid amp rather than a full-on OTL design.

The Ember went on it's merry way and I got a Project Polaris to try out. It's a solid-state amp but uses J-FET's in it's topology in order to inject the harmonics of a tube. It worked to an extent but still didn't do what the Ember did.

I hear people saying the the HD 650 sounds spectacular when mated to a good quality OTL amp but those same amps are perhaps not so good with other headphones. Because of this I'll be buying a Project Ember as soon as funds allow because it's so adjustable for use with a broad range of headphones.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #23,103 of 46,497
What company is this? I don't think you said the name of it.

I do appreciate your interest in the matter, but I sincerely feel as though it's not worth mentioning the exact company to you because it probably wouldn't be very relevant unless you are an actual music producer. These plugins are in proprietary VST (Virtual Studio Technology) format for use 'exclusively' within music DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) which are used to produce most of the modern music we have heard since 2001. Therefore if you are thinking they might apply to Amps/DACs etc in some way, to experiment, it can't be done.

So basically tubes are the only way to go if you want the actual tube sound for personal listening.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #23,104 of 46,497

I do appreciate your interest in the matter, but I sincerely feel as though it's not worth mentioning the exact company to you because it probably wouldn't be very relevant unless you are an actual music producer. These plugins are in proprietary VST (Virtual Studio Technology) format for use 'exclusively' within music DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) which are used to produce most of the modern music we have heard since 2001. Therefore if you are thinking they might apply to Amps/DACs etc in some way, to experiment, it can't be done.

So you basically dangled a bunch of meat in front of lions and just went "Nah, no nope, not getting any. **** you guys." and leave.

Thanks a lot.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #23,105 of 46,497
  So you basically dangled a bunch of meat in front of lions and just went "Nah, no nope, not getting any. **** you guys." and leave.

Thanks a lot.

Whoa! Where did that come from??? You obviously didn't read the very post of mine which you quoted in your reply, or didn't read it properly. What part of "proprietary' format for 'exclusive' use in DAWs" didn't you understand? 

And i did not leave, so what are you talking about?

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #23,109 of 46,497

Perhaps not intentionally but this does come across as some what condescending perhaps why not simply identify the companies it is a interesting subject and I suspect many would be interested in learning more.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #23,110 of 46,497

Perhaps not intentionally but this does come across as some what condescending perhaps why not simply identify the companies it is a interesting subject and I suspect many would be interested in learning more.

Yes possibly condescending, i see your point. Sorry! Anyway, i'll tell you the three out of the top four, but the one that has nailed it i wont mention because we should be allowed to have some secrets. F1 driving teams don't go telling the competition how they tune their engines if you know what i mean.

1: Softube
2: UAD
3: IK Multimedia

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #23,111 of 46,497
Is this plug-in commercially available to third parties?

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #23,112 of 46,497
Feb 26, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #23,114 of 46,497

I'm a musician and record with REAPER and would LOVE to know who has mastered the Tube sound.
I've argued with many digital haters that digital can replicate any sound even their beloved vinyl.
Can you please tell me of this product so I can seriously look into buying it?

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #23,115 of 46,497
Is this plug-in commercially available to third parties?

Not quite sure what you mean, but if by "third-party" you mean other companies to resell it, NO!

I mean can I buy it. I also produce my own music and would like to know what this wonder plug-in is. If it's commercially available then it shouldn't be a secret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back