Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #21,481 of 46,499
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but as far as PORTABLE solutions go, I can't think of a setup that I've been told about, read about, or listened to that drives the HD-650s better than the iDSD Micro without including the Chord HUGO ($2500 USD). For all other headphones that I've listened to, the amp in the DX90 was amply-powerful enough on its own.

In my book:
DX90 alone = Acceptable for the HD-650s, but a little anemic and not quite as wide a soundstage or as clear a separation as the next options. Still TONS better than my iPhones or iPads by themselves in terms of volume, SQ, Dynamic Range, and responsiveness for both PCM (MP3s) and DSD files. Though the DSD files make more of a difference in terms of improvement over the Apple devices natively.

DX90 with FIIO e17 = A little more power and ability to pull more BASS, (or Treble, but I never hear a need for it) if desired, but the DAC used is still the DX90s. (Which is pretty darn good.)

DX90 with iDSD Micro = Truly impressive! The best portable solution I've heard. Soundstage is "appropriate" for classical and pop music alike. (By appropriate, I mean the instruments surround you without feeling artificially stretched/expanded. Just "natural and wide".). There is also an added level of clarity to the HD-650s that I don't get from the previous portable solutions. I guess it's what many call "the Sennheiser veil". The veil is not noticeable to me at all with this combo unless I compare it to a powerful, dedicated, headphone amp like my SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2. Even the headphone out of our Panasonic surround sound rack unit in our home theater doesn't make them sound as clear as the iDSD Micro or ASGARD 2 does.

IPhone 4S, 5, or iPad Air with iDSD Micro = The same as the DX90 with the iDSD Micro, but there is MUCH less expandability to fit all the songs I want. The bonus of being able to drop 128GB microSD cards into the DX90 is HUGELY superior to me over the 32 or 64GB SHARED storage I have on any of the Apple devices we have.

In hotel rooms/visiting family and friends or mobile moving around home: use HD-650s
Simple setup = iPhone 5 with iDSD Micro - lightest combo, but no more than 2 or 3 Albums fit along with the photos and video, and other apps taking up space....
Preferred setup = DX90 with iDSD Micro - slightly bulkier footprint and just slightly heavier, but enough storage space between the 8GB internal memory and the 128GB cards to carry every album or song I care to.

During Travel: use other headphones
Simple setup & Preferred setup = DX90 alone. I never use my HD-650s in public as they are open back, and not ideal for public listening. Bass FREQs for in-ear sound isolation, or Photive PH-BTX6 headphones are driven beautifully by the DX90. I never need to turn the volume past 11 or 12-o'clock. The Koss PortaPros leak more sound than I would like, but are great in the airport if you can find some space away from others. I would feel rude using them on the plane though.

Great, thx for ur advice. Getting both, DX90 and idsd, is going to be close to 900€ which to me is a lot of money. I think, I'm better of getting something not so portable and with that better SQ. How do o2 and odac compare soundwise to ur above recommendation?

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #21,482 of 46,499
To my hd650clansmen...
Do check out the closed can Beyer DT150,
It is a bigwinner in my fold. :wink:

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #21,483 of 46,499
To my hd650clansmen...
Do check out the closed can Beyer DT150,
It is a bigwinner in my fold.
wink.gif

Does it leak sound?

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #21,484 of 46,499
Check out schiit audio. Com. A lot of folks love the magni , modi stack. Imo, having a dac , with a better d/a conversion chip, sounds better than a run of the mill , PC or phone dac. The stack from schiit , fits your budget , perfectly. Tubes are personal preference. For me it's the soundstage tube amps produce.
NooB here who just got the HD650's and knows nothing about amps.  Feel pretty lost.  A few questions/comments:

Given:  I desire fun, warm, dynamic sound.  That's why I got HD650 to begin with.  I loved my M-audio Q40's, for $100 range headphones.  I am upgrading from a Behringer HA400 amp ($25) That can easily make the HD650's too loud for comfort, but I have heard my friends pair of 650's powered by his home stereo unit and want them to sound like that!  I do NOT need portability, am "pretty sure" I don't need a DAC, and don't wanna spend much more than $200 if possible.  Maybe I could go higher.  I see this "Asgard 2" for $250 on amazon sounds like the default choice, but do I really need that?  

I see this Monoprice amp (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2) offers 150mw @ 300Ohm.  How do I know if this is good enough?  Suppose something offers 175mw @ 300Ohm - how much better is this? Will this amp sound Warm?

A similar amp is this JDS amp: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/  But someone a couple pages back said it was "cold" - not the sound I want.  

Finally there are TUBE AMPS such as this one that I just missed on Massdrop (I only know what Massdrap is as of 5 mins ago, LOL): http://www.amazon.com/DarkVoice-336SE-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier/dp/B00CF9JON8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419849962&sr=8-2&keywords=336se

What do TUBES add to the sound vs an amp without TUBES?  What's the purpose of a tube and how important is it? 0-o  I like the idea, from how people talk about them.

Thanks for reading.  I'm looking forward to making these great HP's shine in the next couple weeks.  =)

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #21,485 of 46,499
 Right away I'm looking at:

Magni 2 $99 and provides 260mw at 300Ohm
Magni 2 Uber $149 and provides 320mw @ 300Ohm.  

Looks like the main difference is that Uber has "Pre amp outputs" - what are those?  LOL.  Is that Uber version going to provide noticeably more fun, warm, lively sound than the non-Uber version?  Is there a way to know that - or anything - strictly by comparing the power outputs?  

I've ruled out tubes for now, your comment was the final nail in the coffin - thanks!  I'm still beginning stage, so it makes sense.  Check this out: I just went to my sound features in Windows 8 and switched the setting from 16-bit sound to 24/192.  Is this doing a similar thing to what a DAC would?

Quote:
Check out schiit audio. Com. A lot of folks love the magni , modi stack. Imo, having a dac , with a better d/a conversion chip, sounds better than a run of the mill , PC or phone dac. The stack from schiit , fits your budget , perfectly. Tubes are personal preference imo.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #21,486 of 46,499
Got my HD 650 last week and I am loving it compared to the 598. I am using the asus xonar stx as my dac and a bravo audio v3 tube amp. I found a killer deal on a used schiit lyr 2 so I'll most likely be getting that. Can't wait to hear the difference lol.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #21,487 of 46,499
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #21,488 of 46,499
Great, thx for ur advice. Getting both, DX90 and idsd, is going to be close to 900€ which to me is a lot of money. I think, I'm better of getting something not so portable and with that better SQ. How do o2 and odac compare soundwise to ur above recommendation?

I'm sorry, but I can't comment on those units vs DX90 and iDSD.  I understand that Amazon has a liberal return policy if that helps...  That amount of money is a lot for most of us I would imagine.  But I figure I've spent more than that on equipment that hasn't made me happy, so it was worth it for me.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #21,489 of 46,499

hmmm...isolation i rate as quite good, i dun get distrubed by the tv much.
the cups are slightly larger than normal, so it also depends on the seal with your face.
It is like a closed version of hd650 of sorts to me...:p

Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!

For sure!

I have not put mine down since I got them a month ago. Warm and full bodied, similar sound stage, very much like a closed back 650.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #21,490 of 46,499
^^ Now that I see Fearless and Lorspeaker chiming in, my curiosity is peaked.
blink.gif
  I have not looked at the Beyers since I owned the dt770/990 years ago. This dt150 doesn't look like the typical Beyer build quality. But I will certainly have a look at it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #21,491 of 46,499
Honestly I'm not familiar with their sound signature. From what I've read , they're fairly neutral. As far as tube amps go. There are some great threads on how well the 650's pair with them. I was fortunate to get a great deal on a Valhalla (180 bucks). The crack amp has outstanding reviews on the pairing. My recommendation for the schiit stack, was solely based on your budget , to get some nice gear that will drive the 650's , fine. How you hear it may sound entirely different than how someone else does. It's all subjective. I've heard warm and analytical opinions on the stack. Give it a shot. They have a return policy if you don't like it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #21,492 of 46,499
hmmm...isolation i rate as quite good, i dun get distrubed by the tv much.
the cups are slightly larger than normal, so it also depends on the seal with your face.
It is like a closed version of hd650 of sorts to me...:p

Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!

For sure!

I have not put mine down since I got them a month ago. Warm and full bodied, similar sound stage, very much like a closed back 650.

Thanks guys. I'm primarily looking for something I can use while my wife sleeps so isolation is critical. Second to isolation is comfort.

^^ Now that I see Fearless and Lorspeaker chiming in, my curiosity is peaked. :blink:   I have not looked at the Beyers since I owned the dt770/990 years ago. This dt150 doesn't look like the typical Beyer build quality. But I will certainly have a look at it.

Let's be honest, they look damned ugly.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #21,493 of 46,499
this ugly duckling will turn into a swan once it cradles your head thru a few concertoes...
then onto a few jazz gigs, and rounding off the nite with an epic movie massage.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #21,494 of 46,499
^^ Now that I see Fearless and Lorspeaker chiming in, my curiosity is peaked. :blink:   I have not looked at the Beyers since I owned the dt770/990 years ago. This dt150 doesn't look like the typical Beyer build quality. But I will certainly have a look at it.
They are hideous looking in photos, much better in person. They are built like a tank though. I put Alpha pads on mine, the isolation is ridiculous.

Nothing even resembling the typical "Beyers sound" I would classify thier signature as a closed 650, HE500. They are magnificent with a tube amp, or right out of an IPhone. Honestly, the sound stage may actually be bigger then the 650!

I am glad I listened to the preachings of Lorspeaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back