Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #17,974 of 46,499
   Im quite new to this!, I think i want a dac with built in amp or a cheap amp so I can afford a asus xonar dx

I Just got the Aune T1 (dac + tube amp), that seems to meet your criteria, specially if your are into tube rolling as well.

I am throughly enjoying it with the HD650's, even though I barely started tube breakin.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #17,975 of 46,499
I have been using an Essence STX for to years now and found it okay.  I tried the Dragon fly 1.2 and sent it back to amazon after two days,  It was not as clear as the stx.  I have Project Ember amp, and use that for an amp and love it.  Recently tried an Emotiva xdr-2 http://shop.emotiva.com/products/xda2 figured if I did not like it on my pc I could use it on my main system.  I have it hooked up to my pc now and after two days of listening, I am sold.  Much clearer than the stx, the 650's are clear as a bell, I was thinking I would send them back to Sennheiser, for new drivers, as I thought the treble sounded a little like it was distorted.  Not any more.  With this dac, out to the Ember the 650 is clear sounding like never before.  I have my oppo running coax to the xdr-2, and into the ember as well.  I have just tried the headphone amp built in to  the xdr-2 and I have to admit it is very nice.  Am currently playing some192khz files and they are very well represented.  Have to put more time into it and see how it stacks up to the Ember.  It has a remote, the xdr-2 and it is quite a nice piece of work, solid aluminum and very well done as well.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #17,977 of 46,499
I'm listening to my 650s with an IFI iDSD nano and iCAN micro.

Beautiful, just beautiful  
dt880smile.png

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #17,979 of 46,499
Does anyone know if the FiioE17 amp is strong enough push the HD650's? I recently purchased the headphones and wonder how the SQ pairing the two?

I would think the E17 would do the business but I haven't heard it myself. I own the E18 and it drives them easily.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #17,980 of 46,499
Does anyone know if the FiioE17 amp is strong enough push the HD650's? I recently purchased the headphones and wonder how the SQ pairing the two?

I have a Fiio E17/E09K and a Schiit Valhalla/ Modi, the E17 does not have the oomph alone, but does work very well with the E09K for my HD650's. The E09K has been marked down to $89.00 on multiple sights (I am guessing a new version is coming). The Schiit Combo is a it step up, but I could, and did, live with the Fiio, HD 650 pairing.? Best!

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #17,982 of 46,499
Thanks for the feedback! yeah I think I will look into purchasing the Fiio E9 to get some more power. Hopefully the price comes down if they release a newer version.

Remember, you need to get the E17 or E07 to serve as a DAC and to dock in the E09K, enjoy.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #17,983 of 46,499
  Newb question: How's the stock cable? I was considering ordering a Norne Audio cable (to match my other two headphones). Does the HD650 benefit from a silver cable due to it's alleged darker signature? How're the aesthetics?

I recently bought an HD650 from Moon-Audio with silver cables.  I like the sound very much. It's hard for me to pinpoint the differences between it and the stock cable, but it gives a more enjoyable,all, presentation.  Sounds more musical and is probably quieter, as well.  Doesn't suffer from any sharpness or brightness or any other alleged silver cable shortcomings.

On a different front: don't be seduced by the HD800 unless having an ultra-wide sound stage and relatively deep, tight bass.  To my ears, the HD650 has a far better, less recessed, mid-range and treble (no brightness), and still has credible bass and sound-stage. 

I used to think this headphone was too dark, but i am coming around.  It is somewhat "romantic" in the lower half, but pretty darn realistic from there up.  I alternate it with my K701s, depending on the music, with my DND Audio Stratus amp.  It also sounds great on the relatively trouble-free SinglePower MPX models.  I'm a bit sad I sold my MPX3, but the Stratus is outstanding and the HD650s add a little romance where it is needed on the very neutral Startus amp. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #17,984 of 46,499
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/New-Replacement-ear-pads-For-Sennheiser-HD545-HD565-HD580-HD600-HD650-Headphone-/251535582509?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a90b0652d&_uhb=1

anyone has experience with these china pads, any good?  :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back