Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #17,146 of 46,497
I would like to share with my setup I have finally finished today:) 

Headphones - HD650:wink: NEW 

AMP - Fiio 12
DAC - Headroom Micro DAC ( Love these small boxes, my favorite would be NOS Audio alchemy Micro DAC ) 
CD Transport - Luxman ( I find CD transports superior to any other digital source and I had/have good few in my life ) 
IC - QED JP2
Coax - Audioquest Forest 

One word - Happy! 

Perfect synergy, dynamic, full bodied,sparkling and 3d sound. Very reveling with any recording. Can't see why some people find HD650 veiled. For me it sounds very similar to one of my speaker setups I had few years ago ( Totem Mite + Tube Amp - without going into more details ) Well, to be honest HD650 sounds like a reference pair of stand mount speakers. 

Now, I can see that 650s need good matching and are very demanding when it comes to amplification, cable etc. And again same as stand mount speakers. Can't get off that feeling, the way they present music has its signature that could be easily defined. 

I'm very happy with what I can hear now. Not sure where I could make an improvement now without spending few hundreds euro now. Next step would be getting signature sound similar to Magnepan ( Magneplanar )  Speakers with Audio Note Amp. I could imagine that HD800 would  be a good headphone to start. But not now:wink: 

Here is what my system looks now ( quality is not best its late and dark will make better one tomorrow ) 

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #17,147 of 46,497

Finally finished.......Oh how many times have I heard myself say that?!?!

Nice set up though, well done!

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #17,148 of 46,497
Oh god...I guess I have to work on my DAC/Amp combo next huh? My DAC/Amp are all in one now so what do you guys usually recommend upgrading first? Or rather which has made difference to you? Although I suppose that is something I might have to figure out myself via trial and error. I don't know which section in my combo DAC/amp is the weaker section. Then I'll have to figure out what I want from my headphones synergy wise.....@_____@

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #17,149 of 46,497

Headphones - HD650:wink: NEW 

AMP - Fiio 12
DAC - Headroom Micro DAC ( Love these small boxes, my favorite would be NOS Audio alchemy Micro DAC ) 
CD Transport - Luxman ( I find CD transports superior to any other digital source and I had/have good few in my life ) 
IC - QED JP2
Coax - Audioquest Forest 

One word - Happy! 

Perfect synergy, dynamic, full bodied,sparkling and 3d sound. Very reveling with any recording. Can't see why some people find HD650 veiled. For me it sounds very similar to one of my speaker setups I had few years ago ( Totem Mite + Tube Amp - without going into more details ) Well, to be honest HD650 sounds like a reference pair of stand mount speakers. 

Now, I can see that 650s need good matching and are very demanding when it comes to amplification, cable etc. And again same as stand mount speakers. Can't get off that feeling, the way they present music has its signature that could be easily defined. 

I'm very happy with what I can hear now. Not sure where I could make an improvement now without spending few hundreds euro now. Next step would be getting signature sound similar to Magnepan ( Magneplanar )  Speakers with Audio Note Amp. I could imagine that HD800 would  be a good headphone to start. But not now:wink: 

Here is what my system looks now ( quality is not best its late and dark will make better one tomorrow ) 

Congratulations. How new are your headphones? If they're very fresh then you're in for a treat as I've just passed the 200 hour mark and the sound opens up quite dramatically. Enjoy.

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #17,150 of 46,497
Oh god...I guess I have to work on my DAC/Amp combo next huh? My DAC/Amp are all in one now so what do you guys usually recommend upgrading first? Or rather which has made difference to you? Although I suppose that is something I might have to figure out myself via trial and error. I don't know which section in my combo DAC/amp is the weaker section. Then I'll have to figure out what I want from my headphones synergy wise.....@_____@

What DAC/amp are you currently using?

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #17,151 of 46,497
A Maverick D1. Not the most popular amp/dac combo
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #17,152 of 46,497
I have Modi/Vali combo, and I wasn't supposed to upgrade anything for awhile, but ran into a pretty sweet deal of used HRT Music Streamer II Plus, and I just couldn't pass it up. :wink:
So I guess the Crack is up next, huh. :D

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #17,153 of 46,497
Congratulations. How new are your headphones? If they're very fresh then you're in for a treat as I've just passed the 200 hour mark and the sound opens up quite dramatically. Enjoy.

I like them more and more every day. They sound great. Now about 50h mark on them and I can see the improvement already. Mine are newest batch from factory near where I live:p 
Got them from a lad who was working in Senn Factory but never used them. Fiio12 drives them with complete ease. Connected do my CD Transport I can't go over 11 oc on the pot or else Id damage my hearing. Looking for more improvement in next few weeks, but surely they sound beautiful now. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #17,154 of 46,497
Aye, they were a revelation for me. I have an E18 and it sounds good but my O2 is just awesome!

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #17,155 of 46,497
Hi all, I'm new to this thread. I just added a silver OCC cable (Ted Allen)  to my 650. It really improved musicality without changing drastically the basic, laid-back character of 650. Added more air and separation in upper mids and treble, allowing better resolution of details. More open sound. Sometimes subtle. Does anyone out there have a similar experience with silver OCC on 650? 

Anyways, I'm on the road today for next few wks, so apologies for not replying promptly.

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #17,156 of 46,497
Mine is a spc cable, more grit at both ends without taking the honey in between:)

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #17,157 of 46,497
  A Maverick D1. Not the most popular amp/dac combo
tongue.gif

I don't know what your budget is.  But, I would say buy the most amp you can afford, and use the D1 as your DAC only for now.  Then live with your setup a while, and decide is a DAC upgrade is necessary.

Do you have an amount to spend in mind?

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #17,158 of 46,497
I don't know what your budget is.  But, I would say buy the most amp you can afford, and use the D1 as your DAC only for now.  Then live with your setup a while, and decide is a DAC upgrade is necessary.

Do you have an amount to spend in mind?

I don't really know honestly. The D1 was $220 and the headphones retail for $400-500 do I'd at least be willing to go up in that same range cost of $400-500.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #17,159 of 46,497
I have Modi/Vali combo, and I wasn't supposed to upgrade anything for awhile, but ran into a pretty sweet deal of used HRT Music Streamer II Plus, and I just couldn't pass it up. :wink:
So I guess the Crack is up next, huh. :D

If you're looking to sell your combo I might be interested. Seems like Modi/Vali is good value for the money.

I have only listened to my 650 through my old Onkyo reciever yet and even if I really like how they sound I suppose they can get better.

Also only have about 20 hours on them so I hope they will improve with more hours even if I keep listening through my reciever for a while.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #17,160 of 46,497
I wonder how many wow moments I'll get to have my first few days with this. I have heard it before but the environment was loud and I was unable to listen for too long. I basically don't remember how they sound lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back