Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #17,131 of 46,499
Not sure what kinda music you guys listen to, but I've got a special place in my heart for a band called Bad Veins (indie rock).

Got my hands on a FLAC version of their album 'The Mess We've Made', and it's sounding wonderful on my setup.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #17,133 of 46,499
Ah, well something amazing did indeed just happen. I buy a lot of stuff from the book store at my school and I was talking to the guy who runs the tech side. Well you can order basically anything there vendor can get a hold of and I was talking to him about some computer stuff and told him I won't be able to buy some parts because I am about to get a pair of HD650s. He asked why I didn't buy them from him and basically explaining my situation he lowered his offer to $400 but I was basically not fond of the idea because it takes forever for it to get here. After some debate he got it down to $350 and told me that's the lowest he thinks the people higher up will let him do.

I think I just have to do this >_< its gonna take a week and a half to get here but $350...

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #17,138 of 46,499
  Seeing the discussions in the last couple of pages about the prices that seems to be fair for a used pair of 650 makes me feel pretty good about spending 200 USD shipped for a pair with less than 15 hours of playing time. I am however situated in Europe and they cost about $460 new here.

To the point; I don't want to spend more then I gave for the headphones on an amplifier. Is it possible to get a decent amp for about $200 or less that goes well with the 650 or will the difference between one in that price range be to small compared to running them from a regular mid-ranged reciever?

Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Missed this before, but the Vali is a good option if you can get your hands on it.  I'm fond of the Asgard 2 as well :p.
Ah, well something amazing did indeed just happen. I buy a lot of stuff from the book store at my school and I was talking to the guy who runs the tech side. Well you can order basically anything there vendor can get a hold of and I was talking to him about some computer stuff and told him I won't be able to buy some parts because I am about to get a pair of HD650s. He asked why I didn't buy them from him and basically explaining my situation he lowered his offer to $400 but I was basically not fond of the idea because it takes forever for it to get here. After some debate he got it down to $350 and told me that's the lowest he thinks the people higher up will let him do.

I think I just have to do this >_< its gonna take a week and a half to get here but $350...

It's pretty much fate at this point....do itttt.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #17,139 of 46,499
I've probably got around 200 hours on these now and I'm sure they've changed. At first the sound seemed like a thick soup, all the detail but presented in a bizarre syrupy kind of way. I use Evernote to quickly right down thoughts and reading it back is enlightening.

The sound now is far punchier. Imaging has also improved in my opinion. It's far easier now to focus in on particular strands of the music. It's hard to credit how much more comfortable the 650's are when compared to my previous best, the AKG Q701. More comfortable in every way.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #17,141 of 46,499
Yeah, I believe it. I can listen to albums now that were previously a tad congested if I'm honest. What's amazing is that I have now found a couple of albums so far that, although I've always liked the music, the actual recording I've perceived as really bad.

Try Kingdom of Rust by Doves. It's an incredibly dense heavy rock recording that, on lesser resolving systems, sounds a bloody mess. Now though, with the ODAC/O2 & HD 650, the music is finally released, bass lines can be followed with ease, treble now has air & sparkle where previously it sounded as liquidy as the mids. It is the biggest alteration I've ever heard that I can attribute to burn-in. I'm very happy.

:) :) :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #17,142 of 46,499
Yeah, I believe it. I can listen to albums now that were previously a tad congested if I'm honest. What's amazing is that I have now found a couple of albums so far that, although I've always liked the music, the actual recording I've perceived as really bad.

Try Kingdom of Rust by Doves. It's an incredibly dense heavy rock recording that, on lesser resolving systems, sounds a bloody mess. Now though, with the ODAC/O2 & HD 650, the music is finally released, bass lines can be followed with ease, treble now has air & sparkle where previously it sounded as liquidy as the mids. It is the biggest alteration I've ever heard that I can attribute to burn-in. I'm very happy.

:) :) :)

Thank you for reminding me of doves! Listening to them now . What ever happened to these? Another band that came to mind when you mentioned these is a local band (Manchester) called Longview . What happened to them?! Anyways my next 2 hours is now sorted for listening. Ta. :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #17,143 of 46,499

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the same feeling after listening to the cure's bloodflowers with my 650's!

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #17,144 of 46,499
Thank you for reminding me of doves! Listening to them now . What ever happened to these? Another band that came to mind when you mentioned these is a local band (Manchester) called Longview . What happened to them?! Anyways my next 2 hours is now sorted for listening. Ta. :)

I'd be interested in your opinion of Kingdom of Rust as a recording/mix (I've never been sure of technical terminology). I find the album sounds decent through crappy electronics and fantastic on my current system but on everything else in between I think it sounds awful. I think it's such a dense mix that mid-fi components will highlight a particular frequency range and that becomes the albums defining characteristic. Change components sideways and the signature changes but you're never close to hearing everything that's in the recording. On my car stereo (all Alpine, all expensive) there's no real bass texture at all, the treble screeches and the mids scream at me. It's terrible.

I've never heard of Longview, sorry. There are loads of bands these days who step out with one great album and fade away to nothing. I think with a lot of current music so much of what you're hearing that is good was actually achieved in the studio and to some extent the musicians become almost an irrelevance. What you're listening to is a piece of work & everything "before the desk" is almost interchangeable.

I had the same feeling after listening to the cure's bloodflowers with my 650's!

I never used to like The Cure but I will look this one up & give it a try. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back