Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #17,116 of 46,499
I upgraded my Steinberg CI2 recording interface to the much higher quality RME Babyface. I'm still using the Presonus HP4 as an amp for the time being but the increase in details is VERY apparent. The AD/DA converter inside the babyface is a TI PCM4104 but I cannot find much details about it. Listening to my 24 bit / 96kHz vinyl rips using deadbeef for bit perfect play back was just jaw dropping. Everything sounds faster and less flubby. Sibilance and brightness has been tamed, and the noise floor is considerably lower. I don't hear any hissing or noise with good recordings. Next stop will be the Bottlehead crack and I'll be done upgrading for quite some time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #17,117 of 46,499

Ahhh, you are referring to the Rev. 1 then? I cannot speak for that one as I only have a newer Rev. 2 and indeed even for those there are some variations it seems in recent units. But in relation to the ones that I own... for the points that you have brought up here:

- Soundstage on LCD2 is a bit closer that HD650... but scales well balanced on Mj/Gungnir stack (can't say for other setups). I find the HE500 is pretty similar to the LCD2 in this regard.
- Vocals are less "honeyed/buttery" smooth, but textures are more realistic
- Treble on my LCD2 is actually more prominent than the HD650... somewhere between my HD650 and my friend's HE500 (recent LCD2s seem a tad more bright, airy and tilting neutral)
- Transients are indeed quick on the LCD2, but I found that to be true also with the HE500

Here is my longer rant bout the LCD2 compared to the HD650.

Regardless, the HE500 are still superb sounding headphones, and was initially my target step up to compliment the HD650, until I tried them and the fit/discomfort killed it for me (I have a HUGE head).

Sounds like our opinions are vastly different in both sonic characteristics and comfort, which is completely fine, since that is what head-fi is all about. I don't find the HE-500 too uncomfortable, but I find the LCD-2 to be the most uncomfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn!  haha.  The clamping force gives it a nice tight fit, but at the same time one that fits uncomfortably after a short duration of time.

I have owned the LCD-2 on 3 different occasions (rev.1 twice, and the rev. 2 once recently).  As you can tell, I really wanted to like the LCD-2 and I was not a fan of the LCD-2 until I heard rev.2.  I do agree that Rev.2 sounds better than Rev.1 in all aspects.  

Aside from that, I have still never heard the LCD-2 have as wide and spacious of a soundstage as the HD650, and this is after hearing the LCD-2 on many many setups, the top being the GS-X Mk.2 at a recent meet.  The imaging capabilities scale very very well with amp pairing, but it still sounds tunneled in a soundstage size comparison.  While I also think the soundstage on the HE-500 is not as wide as the HD650, it certainly comes closer.

The voicing is what really has me convinced that the HD650 and HE-500 hold a stronger resemblance.  Both the HD650 and the HE-500 sound like they encapsulate vocals in a maple syrup-like bubble before presenting them to the listener.  While the LCD-2 is a warm headphone, voices are less colored, and more natural.  Depending on the listener, preference can go either way.

No matter how you view the HD650, it's still different enough from any pair of headphones to warrant owning as part of any audiophile's collection.  I plan to re-purchase them after I build another BH Crack (Thanks to the recent meet...)

Nostalgia is dangerous

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #17,119 of 46,499
Apr 26, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #17,121 of 46,499
  Hey MattTCG...since you are selling your Crack, will your HD650's be coming up too?  If so, let me know :)

You want to kick Matt out of this HD650 thread? 
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #17,122 of 46,499
At 49 I'm getting dangerously close to fan-boyism.

:) :) :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #17,125 of 46,499
Seeing the discussions in the last couple of pages about the prices that seems to be fair for a used pair of 650 makes me feel pretty good about spending 200 USD shipped for a pair with less than 15 hours of playing time. I am however situated in Europe and they cost about $460 new here.

To the point; I don't want to spend more then I gave for the headphones on an amplifier. Is it possible to get a decent amp for about $200 or less that goes well with the 650 or will the difference between one in that price range be to small compared to running them from a regular mid-ranged reciever?

Suggestions are highly appreciated.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #17,127 of 46,499
Welcome to Head-fi Estremo.

Is the amp for stationary or portable use? When I say portable I mean room-to-room portable as these are the wrong headphones for anything more demanding.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #17,128 of 46,499
Thanks for the welcome. I want most bang for the buck so I suppose stationary is the way to go. I will use these in the same spot almost all the time and if I would want to move to another room on some occasion I don't mind taking the amp with me.

Schiit Vali seems interesting and there's nothing not to like about the price.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #17,129 of 46,499

Nah, I didn't see a pair listed on their website. Should I message someone here directly about it or something?

Hmmm, he's dangerously low on Sennheiser items.  Odd, maybe he's getting out of the Sennheiser dealer drama?  I'd still message him considering he tries to sell them new for the price you are considering at used...

On a lighter note, if I can ever afford my dream LCD-XCs, I'll be able to get them from Razordog...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back