Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #17,101 of 46,499
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #17,102 of 46,499

Adam Smith's free market theory...guys...if a can sounds that good, an unbiase market would not allow it to be sold at such a cheap price 
wink_face.gif

Haha, I have to say I can agree with that.  Though, my two dream pairs of headphones are obtainable at $1100 and $1500 respectfully.  

Still for sale here in the states from many places also website still selling........http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650#accessories...maybe they were caught selling below fixed price and where cut off.

Could be, but I don't see the HD650 on that page.  In all honesty, I would pay full MSRP for a pair of HD650.  They are sentimental to me at this point :p.
  Sennheiser in the UK is still listing the HD600 and the HD650. Not at US prices, though!

How much are they listing for?

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #17,103 of 46,499
  Sennheiser in the UK is still listing the HD600 and the HD650. Not at US prices, though!

£369.99 for the HD600 and £399.99 for the HD650. On Amazon.co.uk that is respectively £299.99 and £309.99.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #17,104 of 46,499
  Haha, I have to say I can agree with that.  Though, my two dream pairs of headphones are obtainable at $1100 and $1500 respectfully.  

Could be, but I don't see the HD650 on that page.  In all honesty, I would pay full MSRP for a pair of HD650.  They are sentimental to me at this point :p.
How much are they listing for?

hmm....LCD-2 and HD800...I guess

I guess it's more likely that some distributors just stopped selling hd650s or ran out of stock. HD600/650s are still cash cows for Senn. Unless there are good replacements at this price range...but both HD700 and HD800 are not in the price range...so not likely to be discontinued, at least for now 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #17,108 of 46,499

hmm....LCD-2 and HD800...I guess

I guess it's more likely that some distributors just stopped selling hd650s or ran out of stock. HD600/650s are still cash cows for Senn. Unless there are good replacements at this price range...but both HD700 and HD800 are not in the price range...so not likely to be discontinued, at least for now 
wink.gif

Actually not at all 
redface.gif

At the meet I got to listen to the HD800 and I was very underwhelmed.  It wasn't my type of thing.  For the sound signature it was going for, I actually preferred both the Q701 and K812.

I got to listen to the LCD-2 as well and while I liked it, I liked the LCD-3 the best. I didn't feel the LCD-3 was worth that premium (at all).

My favorites by far were the Heaudio Jades and the AKG K1000.  The Jades were just warm, buttery smooth, and just what you'd think a HD650 upgrade would be.  I've never heard such lovely lows (the Denon D7k are another story). It really was a more mature, powerful version of a HD650.  The K1000 was just amazing on it's own.  It's hard to describe it without hearing it.  I was definitely SUPER skeptical of it going into it, and was truly astonished.  It was as if it received all of the potential excitement I had for the HD800.

Between the HE-6, HE-500, LCD-2, LCD-3, and LCD-XC, I didn't get those mids that I've come to love with the Senn's, where as the AKGs, Jades, and Stax did a very good job, IMO.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #17,109 of 46,499
Actually not at all :xf_eek: .

At the meet I got to listen to the HD800 and I was very underwhelmed.  It wasn't my type of thing.  For the sound signature it was going for, I actually preferred both the Q701 and K812.

I got to listen to the LCD-2 as well and while I liked it, I liked the LCD-3 the best. I didn't feel the LCD-3 was worth that premium (at all).

My favorites by far were the Heaudio Jades and the AKG K1000.  The Jades were just warm, buttery smooth, and just what you'd think a HD650 upgrade would be.  I've never heard such lovely lows (the Denon D7k are another story). It really was a more mature, powerful version of a HD650.  The K1000 was just amazing on it's own.  It's hard to describe it without hearing it.  I was definitely SUPER skeptical of it going into it, and was truly astonished.  It was as if it received all of the potential excitement I had for the HD800.

Between the HE-6, HE-500, LCD-2, LCD-3, and LCD-XC, I didn't get those mids that I've come to love with the Senn's, where as the AKGs, Jades, and Stax did a very good job, IMO.

I'm surprised that you didn't like the HE-500 more, since the 650s are your reference headphone.

I think out of those that you listed, it's the closest to a similar sound signature for the 650s. Perhaps the pairing with the amp was not synergetic at the meet? I didn't have a listen to that setup, so I don't know... However when the 650s were my reference headphones, and I obtained the HE-500, I indefinitely preferred the sound of the HE-500 (once they were properly amped), while I preferred the comfort of the hd650. The sonic similarities I draw from those two headphones are: extremely seductive mids, impactful bass, great for laid back listening due to the inherent darkness.

Btw, I will say that your setup brought back good memories of the 650 days! My gf really loved your(or your wife's) music selection!

Did you get a chance to pair your 650 with the crack? IMO- Phenomenal match, especially since it sounds more solid state than tubey

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #17,110 of 46,499
I'm surprised that you didn't like the HE-500 more, since the 650s are your reference headphone.

I think out of those that you listed, it's the closest to a similar sound signature for the 650s. Perhaps the pairing with the amp was not synergetic at the meet? I didn't have a listen to that setup, so I don't know... However when the 650s were my reference headphones, and I obtained the HE-500, I indefinitely preferred the sound of the HE-500 (once they were properly amped), while I preferred the comfort of the hd650. The sonic similarities I draw from those two headphones are: extremely seductive mids, impactful bass, great for laid back listening due to the inherent darkness.

Btw, I will say that your setup brought back good memories of the 650 days! My gf really loved your(or your wife's) music selection!

Did you get a chance to pair your 650 with the crack? IMO- Phenomenal match, especially since it sounds more solid state than tubey

Odd, I find the LCD2 to be much more like the HD650s.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #17,111 of 46,499
Odd, I find the LCD2 to be much more like the HD650s.

I've never drawn parallels between the two because of a few things:

- soundstage on the lcd-2 is cramped in comparison to the hd650 (this is a biggy for me)
- vocals sound recessed in comparison, while the hd650 has the excellent ability of bringing those forward
- treble is even more heavily shelved, making it darker than both the 650 or he-500 (though rev2 is a little better about this).
- transients are smooth and silky on both the 650 and he-500 while they're quicker and more precise on the LCD-2

But regardless of my impressions, we all hear differently.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #17,112 of 46,499

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked them a lot, but I guess I just slightly prefer the HD650. We can probably blame system bias too :p.

And awesome! My wife had told me a woman came over and complimented the variety of music, and I caught a glimpse of the Playlist she had playing in Vox (some of my favorites by far). It's mostly my music with a bit of hers in there (I'll blame her for all the bad stuff :p).

And unfortunately no, I didn't even notice the Crack until we were all packing up. And he was right beside me basically :xf_eek:. I'm still very curious to hear the combo.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #17,113 of 46,499

Sorry, but i had the Superlux and with my STX those highs were kind of piercing and exhausting too. I couldn´t relax to the music as i do with the HD650. I guess it boils down to what kind of sound preference you like. And i certainly don´t like those over exaggerated highs for sure.

Apart from the highs, did you find the rest of the frequencies comparable to the higher end headphones?

for a cheap ass $50 phone Superlux HD668B to beat the classic HD650...I think only fools will believe it 

Maybe they were running both headphones unamped? some comments you read over there are very odd.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #17,114 of 46,499
I've never drawn parallels between the two because of a few things:

- soundstage on the lcd-2 is cramped in comparison to the hd650 (this is a biggy for me)
- vocals sound recessed in comparison, while the hd650 has the excellent ability of bringing those forward
- treble is even more heavily shelved, making it darker than both the 650 or he-500 (though rev2 is a little better about this).
- transients are smooth and silky on both the 650 and he-500 while they're quicker and more precise on the LCD-2

But regardless of my impressions, we all hear differently.

Ahhh, you are referring to the Rev. 1 then? I cannot speak for that one as I only have a newer Rev. 2 and indeed even for those there are some variations it seems in recent units. But in relation to the ones that I own... for the points that you have brought up here:

- Soundstage on LCD2 is a bit closer that HD650... but scales well balanced on Mj/Gungnir stack (can't say for other setups). I find the HE500 is pretty similar to the LCD2 in this regard.
- Vocals are less "honeyed/buttery" smooth, but textures are more realistic
- Treble on my LCD2 is actually more prominent than the HD650... somewhere between my HD650 and my friend's HE500 (recent LCD2s seem a tad more bright, airy and tilting neutral)
- Transients are indeed quick on the LCD2, but I found that to be true also with the HE500

Here is my longer rant bout the LCD2 compared to the HD650.

Regardless, the HE500 are still superb sounding headphones, and was initially my target step up to compliment the HD650, until I tried them and the fit/discomfort killed it for me (I have a HUGE head).

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #17,115 of 46,499
Found a virtually new HD650 for 415...think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back