Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #17,086 of 46,499
Can I ask you what you prefer about solid-state? I've been looking towards valve amplification in my desire to sample the "next level" but most options involve importation and I'd prefer to give Wastemonster as little of my money as possible. There's also the inherent fragility of valves to consider.

Can a solid-state amp be a real step-up from my O2? What would you recommend and, if you don't mind, why?

Sure, that's not a problem at all!

At the recent meet I got a chance to try a few tube amps ranging from the WA7 Fireflies amp to a DIY ($500+) 'shoebox' amp. I didn't get to make any hard comparisons between a lot of them, but the two mentioned definitely have that signature 'tube' (I.e. warm). Both were very wonderful to listen to as well.

However, I listen to a lot of very fast paced, busy, and frequently heavy music. While I had the HD600, with the Asgard 2, the sound good get a but fatiguing at times, and would just be too bright. I even gave it a shot with my GoVibe Magnum amp/DAC and I came off with similar results.

However, I decided not to give up on Sennheiser and give the HD650 a shot. I was skeptical, but I'm glad I did it. I got everything I was looking for the HD600 to be for me. A more relaxed sound in the treble/highs region, and a better extension in the bass/lows region.

Now getting to try the HD600 on a tube amp, along with the AKG K701 and K812 was a treat. It really fit their sound IMO. However, because of my taste in music, and my desire in the sound, I just prefer the 'solid-state+sound'.

I might have missed a couple points, but I'm on a lunch break. I'll reread it when I get home and feel free to ask me anything if I didn't make a lot of sense :xf_eek:.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #17,087 of 46,499
Sure, that's not a problem at all!

At the recent meet I got a chance to try a few tube amps ranging from the WA7 Fireflies amp to a DIY ($500+) 'shoebox' amp. I didn't get to make any hard comparisons between a lot of them, but the two mentioned definitely have that signature 'tube' (I.e. warm). Both were very wonderful to listen to as well.

However, I listen to a lot of very fast paced, busy, and frequently heavy music. While I had the HD600, with the Asgard 2, the sound good get a but fatiguing at times, and would just be too bright. I even gave it a shot with my GoVibe Magnum amp/DAC and I came off with similar results.

However, I decided not to give up on Sennheiser and give the HD650 a shot. I was skeptical, but I'm glad I did it. I got everything I was looking for the HD600 to be for me. A more relaxed sound in the treble/highs region, and a better extension in the bass/lows region.

Now getting to try the HD600 on a tube amp, along with the AKG K701 and K812 was a treat. It really fit their sound IMO. However, because of my taste in music, and my desire in the sound, I just prefer the 'solid-state+sound'.

I might have missed a couple points, but I'm on a lunch break. I'll reread it when I get home and feel free to ask me anything if I didn't make a lot of sense :xf_eek:.

What are you driving your HD 650's with?

Apr 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #17,088 of 46,499
Agreed; got my HD600 from there and shipping was fast.  Thought I had a problem with the headphone itself, but ended up not.  Needless to say, emailing Brian got a response back very quick (less than 24 hours).

It depends on the sound you're looking to get.  The Modi and Vali probably balance each other out, probably.  The Modi is fairly bright, so any warmth the Vali brings to the table is going to nearly be counter-acted by the Modi.  Matt would be perfect on telling you how the Birfost+Crack combo is, though.

Ah, that place looks cool. From the website though, it doesn't seem like he carries HD650s or maybe he is out of them :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #17,089 of 46,499
Ah, that place looks cool. From the website though, it doesn't seem like he carries HD650s or maybe he is out of them
frown.gif

Hmmm, I think Sennheiser technically discontinued the HD600 and 650, so that may be why.  That's a bummer :frowning2:.  Scouring our FS forums here is a good idea as well.  I'm not sure what they go for, but getting one that probably looks as good as new is probably very obtainable for $400 or less.

What are you driving your HD 650's with?

My daily rig and what I use 99% of the time is my Titanium HD (PC sound card) running RCA-to-RCA to my Asgard 2.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #17,090 of 46,499
Yeah I'm looking around for good condition used pairs.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #17,091 of 46,499
Hmmm, I think Sennheiser technically discontinued the HD600 and 650, so that may be why.  That's a bummer :frowning2:.  Scouring our FS forums here is a good idea as well.  I'm not sure what they go for, but getting one that probably looks as good as new is probably very obtainable for $400 or less.

Asgard? I've read mixed opinions on that amp, although I know nothing of the Mk 2.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #17,092 of 46,499

Senn discontinued HD600/650
eek.gif
...sounds not likely to me

More likely the distributor does not carry them anymore or runs out of stock

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #17,093 of 46,499
Asgard? I've read mixed opinions on that amp, although I know nothing of the Mk 2.

Yeah, the Schiit Asgard 2.  I haven't gotten to directly compare the two (Magni and Asgard 2) for a good sitting, and the one good review around here is on the vanilla Asgard and Magni.  I have heard the Asgard 2 is a bigger improvement over the Magni than it's predecessor, but I couldn't tell you.  I do however enjoy it very much (it was a gift), and after the meet, I am far from disappointed in it.  I'd say it definitely held its' own.  

Senn discontinued HD600/650
eek.gif
...sounds not likely to me

More likely the distributor does not carry them anymore or runs out of stock

It very well may have been a rumor I read, but after a quick Google search, I didn't come across anything.  Sorry for the bad info :xf_eek:.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #17,094 of 46,499
  I find some of the superlux HD668B vs HD650 comments disturbing:

Bear in mind i could have had the superlux for less than 35$!
blink.gif

Sorry, but i had the Superlux and with my STX those highs were kind of piercing and exhausting too. I couldn´t relax to the music as i do with the HD650. I guess it boils down to what kind of sound preference you like. And i certainly don´t like those over exaggerated highs for sure.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #17,096 of 46,499

for a cheap ass $50 phone Superlux HD668B to beat the classic HD650...I think only fools will believe it 

I'm skeptical of those Pio's that have been mentioned a bunch as well, but I haven't tried them yet.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #17,097 of 46,499

for a cheap ass $50 phone Superlux HD668B to beat the classic HD650...I think only fools will believe it 

Agreed.  Innerfidelity pronounced them listenable, following significant eq'ing, for enthusiasts on a budget.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement.  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/superlux-hd-668b-and-hd-681-headphones-page-2

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #17,100 of 46,499

Sennheiser in the UK is still listing the HD600 and the HD650. Not at US prices, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back