Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #17,072 of 46,499
Maybe! I think the longest I could probably hold out is a few weeks. I'll be home by then and I've been too long without a headphone.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #17,075 of 46,499

I have my crack w/sb and upgraded caps FS if any has interest pm me. 

You have to be kidding me...

You might want to delete the 1857 posts about how "end game" the crack w/ speedball...

Got a good chuckle out of this. Maybe we can get have our dedicated HD650 thread back? 
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #17,076 of 46,499
You shouldn't ditch HD650 but getting a tube amp to drive is the way to go

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Oh I won't be, but a HD600 on a nice tube amp sounds damn good. However, I prefer the HD650 sound paired with solid state better.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #17,077 of 46,499
T______________________________________T I've finally come across the money to get a pair of HD650s and lo and behold, they shoot right back to $500 by the time I'm ready to buy a pair and my plane ticket back home shot up $150 making the purchase impossible. *sigh* now what to do, what to do. I need a new headphone too (my M50's kicked the bucket about a month ago.

Try RazorDog Audio.  The owner is a member here, and will often do quiet deals.  Reach out to him.  And yes, he's an authorized Senn dealer...

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #17,078 of 46,499
How big a difference would it be moving on from Modi/Vali to Bitfrost/Crack with Speedball? Even now I'm having a hard time to get anything productive done after I turn the music on. My coffee has turned cold again.. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #17,079 of 46,499
How big a difference would it be moving on from Modi/Vali to Bitfrost/Crack with Speedball? Even now I'm having a hard time to get anything productive done after I turn the music on. My coffee has turned cold again.. 

I get the same with my ODAC/O2. I should use a Thermos flask.

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #17,080 of 46,499

Got a good chuckle out of this. Maybe we can get have our dedicated HD650 thread back? 
wink.gif

The ONLY product I've been faithful to is the hd650, period. It's the only piece of gear that I purchased and haven't sold.  And the truth is, if I had to sell it to be able to get a Stax setup...then I'd sell it. If I don't sell the Crack, it wouldn't bother me in the least. It would just mean that I would have to pass on one of the new planars that I want to try out. 

Glad I gave you a chuckle though. 
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #17,082 of 46,499
My brother is picking up a second hand hd650 for me, but I won't get to listen for 4 weeks
eek.gif
as I'm going to be on holiday, cannot wait!

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #17,083 of 46,499

Try RazorDog Audio.  The owner is a member here, and will often do quiet deals.  Reach out to him.  And yes, he's an authorized Senn dealer...

Agreed; got my HD600 from there and shipping was fast.  Thought I had a problem with the headphone itself, but ended up not.  Needless to say, emailing Brian got a response back very quick (less than 24 hours).

It depends on the sound you're looking to get.  The Modi and Vali probably balance each other out, probably.  The Modi is fairly bright, so any warmth the Vali brings to the table is going to nearly be counter-acted by the Modi.  Matt would be perfect on telling you how the Birfost+Crack combo is, though.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #17,084 of 46,499
I find some of the superlux HD668B vs HD650 comments disturbing:

I also happen to have Sennheiser HD650 so I'm not totally alien to higher quality headphones. While HD650 does have more air in their presentation (music seems to be "far") than Superlux, I still like the frequency response of Superlux more. HD650 has slightly worse bass and roll-off of highs is starting to get very obvious when you get used to more tonally balanced sound. 

Call me crazy, but I recently packed my HD650 back to it's retail box on top of my bookshelf. Seriously thinking if I should sell them or just keep them for another pair of different sound.

Just sold my HD650's because of them.  For 1/10th of the cost I've got (to my ears) better mid/high performance, separation of instruments/vocals, insight into music, clamping force (as in less for my BIG old head!!) and less worry about damaging them.

As good as the best?  Not sure, but now I don't want to find out.

Bear in mind i could have had the superlux for less than 35$!
blink.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #17,085 of 46,499
...I prefer the HD650 sound paired with solid state better.

Can I ask you what you prefer about solid-state? I've been looking towards valve amplification in my desire to sample the "next level" but most options involve importation and I'd prefer to give Wastemonster as little of my money as possible. There's also the inherent fragility of valves to consider.

Can a solid-state amp be a real step-up from my O2? What would you recommend and, if you don't mind, why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back