Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #15,016 of 46,497
LCD-2 arrived yesterday.. I'm running it off the Project Ember.. it's a terrific headphone.  I get the draw that it has for HD650 fans.  All that being said, I'm very confident in saying the 650, when paired with the Crack.. doesn't take a backseat to the LCD-2 when it comes to engagement and sheer impressiveness.. not in the slightest.  The Ember is more than capable of driving the LCD-2 adequately (heck, it's basically designed to drive orthos).. so I'm not worried about 'underpowering' the LCD-2.  Pair the 650 with some other 'run of the mill' amps and the LCD-2 would roundly smoke it.  Pair the 650 w/ the Crack and that rig goes toe to toe with planars like the HE-500/LCD-2.. maybe not on all the technical merits.. but it's mighty close (and the 650 exceeds those planars in some areas.. i.e. soundstage width).  I'm enjoying the LCD-2 a lot and anticipate keeping it.. but the Crack/650 is certainly not going nowhere, either.

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #15,017 of 46,497
Finally getting some quality time with the HD 650s and the Lyr.  A couple days ago I tried them with a pair of 1966 RTC E188CCs (Heerlen made), but wasn't too impressed.  There was a hint of the infamous "veil."  Rather than try that combo again, I rolled in some 1961 Bugle Boy Straight Man tubes, thinking there was a good chance for some serious synergy.  Oh yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

First up was the Definitive Edition Remaster of Selling England By The Pound, mostly because that's what I'd tried briefly with the RTCs.  Maybe I'm more awake, in a better frame of mind, whatever, but it really came alive, "veil" completely lifted.  Rotated Moving Pictures (24/96 version) in, and was impressed.  I don't want to compare to the HE-500s yet, but I'm pretty sure they'll win the bass battle there, and maybe the guitar energy battle, as well.  We'll see.  Now it's Citizen Steely Dan on shuffle.  Hey!  There is bass in these recordings!  
wink.gif
  I recall having to EQ that just a smidge the last time I listened.  If that's "coloration," Sennheiser got it right for my ears.

What I find every time I listen to whatever, the HD 650s rule with vocals.  Is that soundstage and imaging?  It's never too in-your-face, just right.  Even on the C5 I recall Jon Anderson's voice sounding so... well, like him.  The Lyr just enhances this aspect for me.  I'm also pretty sure the soundstage and imaging are quite a bit better than the HE-500s', which is plenty wide, but lacks height and depth by comparison (and I've modded my HE-500s to help that out).  There was one song... maybe from Moving Pictures, where a tom roll went from right to left, then circled behind me, but also seemed to arc up, then descend as it rolled around back.  Crazy schiit.  And there were some maracas or shakers of some sort on Selling England... that seemed to hang up above my ears, nicely balanced and very well represented.  In fact the HD 650s did a great job with the busier sections of that album.

I certainly don't regret getting these, but I didn't get them to replace the HE-500s.  Later I'll switch, and maybe roll the RTCs back in after giving the BBs a little time.  I did try my bassiest rock tracks (some songs from Clockwork Angels), and I'm pretty sure the HE-500s will own the HD 650s for impact, but they did fine.  And when "The Garden" played, it was as sweet as can be.

Fun stuff now that the Lyr is back in action 
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #15,018 of 46,497
  Any good stands that will sufficiently keep my HD650s safe and wont break my wallet more than it's already broken?

*Candles optional for added class.

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #15,019 of 46,497
^^^ That stand is at least $120, and will absolutely have an effect on how the HD650s sound.....

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #15,020 of 46,497
Not really, it was from my friend's bottle. I just took it. And yes, it does add an extra rich smokey layer to the sound....after a few sips!
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #15,021 of 46,497

*Candles optional for added class.

You got it all right Sir

^^^ That stand is at least $120, and will absolutely have an effect on how the HD650s sound.....

Lol, who cares how much does it cost? As long as it comes with the candles. I wonder if the effect on the sound will be more like burn in??

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #15,022 of 46,497
You got it all right Sir

Lol, who cares how much does it cost? As long as it comes with the candles. I wonder if the effect on the sound will be more like burn in??

Just keep those candles at a safe distance...else you're in for a real "burn-in'".

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #15,023 of 46,497
  LCD-2 arrived yesterday.. I'm running it off the Project Ember.. it's a terrific headphone.  I get the draw that it has for HD650 fans.  All that being said, I'm very confident in saying the 650, when paired with the Crack.. doesn't take a backseat to the LCD-2 when it comes to engagement and sheer impressiveness.. not in the slightest.  The Ember is more than capable of driving the LCD-2 adequately (heck, it's basically designed to drive orthos).. so I'm not worried about 'underpowering' the LCD-2.  Pair the 650 with some other 'run of the mill' amps and the LCD-2 would roundly smoke it.  Pair the 650 w/ the Crack and that rig goes toe to toe with planars like the HE-500/LCD-2.. maybe not on all the technical merits.. but it's mighty close (and the 650 exceeds those planars in some areas.. i.e. soundstage width).  I'm enjoying the LCD-2 a lot and anticipate keeping it.. but the Crack/650 is certainly not going nowhere, either.

That's very interesting the LCD's have been itching away at me for some time. So its good to hear the BHC+650 combo holds its ground. Is your Crack standard or running with mods? I am pondering over a few upgrades for mine.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #15,024 of 46,497

That's very interesting the LCD's have been itching away at me for some time. So its good to hear the BHC+650 combo holds its ground. Is your Crack standard or running with mods? I am pondering over a few upgrades for mine.

I'm continuing to use the LCD-2.. and it's impressing me (more) with every passing hour of use.  The Ember is a wonderful match w/ it, btw.  It isn't a 'tube-y' sounding hybrid, either.. it's just very clean and transparent to the tube used.  An hour or so ago, I rolled in a USA-made Amperex PQ 6922 w/ a "D-Getter" (it's said this tube comes fairly close to approximating the sound of the famed/obscenely expensive/practically extinct/holy grail of tubes, the 'pinched waist').  Anyways, I hooked up the LCD-2.. and oh my goodness.. I was stunned with the sound flowing into my ears.  I'm tempted to get my hands on a relatively inexpensive SS desktop amp (an Audio-GD amp, perhaps?) out of curiosity and see how the LCD-2 likes that.

Back to the 650/Crack: my SB'ed Crack isn't stock.. the output caps are film caps, and the last PS cap is bypassed with an AuriCap.  Also, I have an Alps Blue Velvet pot.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #15,026 of 46,497
@Talisman,
I see you have the DT880s and the HD650, what are you liking more? I have been looking at both and can not decide what to get. All I have for over ear is the ATH-M50s, there OK but looking for something more.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #15,027 of 46,497
@Talisman,
I see you have the DT880s and the HD650, what are you liking more? I have been looking at both and can not decide what to get. All I have for over ear is the ATH-M50s, there OK but looking for something more.

Sound

Comfort

Cost

Features

HD 650

nice, can be considered mello with smooth mids. Neither can get the low dramatic rumble the closed m50 produces get. The attenuated high energy might not be a good fit folks who like the m50 and want to improve the experience.
$459+ Detachable Cables (more QA and tight driver matching specs.
- GOod support. Storage box

DT 880 Pro (250)

8.5​

has good bass and high energy when amped properly while compromising mids
$200+coiled cables, no box (Have not received support from Beyer.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #15,028 of 46,497

Sound

Comfort

Cost

Features

HD 650

nice, can be considered mello with smooth mids. Neither can get the low dramatic rumble the closed m50 produces get. The attenuated high energy might not be a good fit folks who like the m50 and want to improve the experience.

DT 880 Pro (250)

8.5​

Amazon has the HD 650s for $420 in the US.  They were $416 a week ago.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #15,029 of 46,497
Anybody here ever have the feeling that the HD650 price fluxes more then most commodities markets these days?

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #15,030 of 46,497

Sound

Comfort

Cost

Features

HD 650

DT 880 Pro (250)

8.5​

Hmm... I see the sound rank of the HD650 is more bold than the DT880 (8.5 vs. 8.5).  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back