Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #10,981 of 46,497
Quote:
Forgive me for asking but this is a long thread that I want to dive into but I really can't wait to ask. Everyone talks about how great the 650's respond to upgrades and I am into that. But for travel, how will they sound with a modest amp such as the JDS o2?
I think you 650 lovers have convinced me to jump in!
Thank you,
Greg

Don't know the JDS o2, but I used to use mine with a Sony Bean portable mp3 player, and I thought it sounded good enough. It doesn't take much to get good volume out of it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #10,982 of 46,497
I have done a lot of research on the HD-600 and HD-650.  I will tell you that your head band stretching technique is a long haul.  The clamping force on the HD600-650 is well known or somewhat notorious.  Since the head band is plastic...stretching it like you do isn't as effective as bending the metal side pieces that connect the plastic band to the ear cups.  Best technique is to fully extend the headband....and bend the metal connecting side pieces right near the cup....just a little bit...one side at a time...not where the metal pieces enter the band where the metal parts push inside the band for adjustment.  Hope that makes sense.

Some even disassemble the metal pieces to bend them but typically not necessary...they are easy to remove from the plastic band.
In the event your stretching technique is ineffective, I wanted to provide you another strategy to enjoy your great headphones.

Quote:
I have been very happy with the HD650s I got them about a month ago. The only problem was that they clamped a bit too firmly on my out-sized noggin. I've read a number of posts about using the "kleenex" box method to widen the 650s. I decided to try a different route, using a DVD case. The advantage is that the cushions don't get compressed. Any standard DVD case should work; Blu-Ray cases are too short. Notice that the case is just above the ear pieces. It took about a week, leaving the case in overnight. Any way, fwiw.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #10,983 of 46,497
Quote:
Forgive me for asking but this is a long thread that I want to dive into but I really can't wait to ask. Everyone talks about how great the 650's respond to upgrades and I am into that. But for travel, how will they sound with a modest amp such as the JDS o2?

The O2 is transparent and has much more than enough power to drive the HD-650 very loud. It will reveal the limitations of your source equipment and recordings. I find the '650 to be quite polite, and the O2 goes great with them.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #10,986 of 46,497
Quote:
The idea of the 650 'scaling with better gear' is an absurd myth. Like any headphones or speakers, all it needs from an amp are proper measurements and sufficient power. The 02 delivers both. There is no magic involved.

I beg to differ.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #10,987 of 46,497
Quote:
The idea of the 650 'scaling with better gear' is an absurd myth. Like any headphones or speakers, all it needs from an amp are proper measurements and sufficient power. The 02 delivers both. There is no magic involved.

rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #10,989 of 46,497
I think some random guy made that up..that the HD-650 scales with $1000 amps and DACs etc. Just like the K400 won't work with any solid state amp due to lack of power(!).

I kind of think what they meant is that the HD-650 scales up with higher quality gear and not so much all this expensive nonsense. Like going from an E5 to an ODAC/Lyr/WA22 etc etc
Some expensive gear still sounds like crap I imagine.

When I hear someone say "scales up" I'm always thinking of that moron who claims the HD-650 is only good with $2000+ amps etc. I'm sure they're out there. I could believe that for the HD-800 at least. I know that requires at least a Fiio E1.

I have to admit the HD-650 DOES respond better with gear changes than my HD-598 and HD-600, but about the same as my DJ100 and Q701.

Oh and don't forget the HD-598 "scales up" but only with a $2000 amp. Without spending $2000 there is ZERO change. Trust me, i've tried!

NOTE: I totally believe that with the HD-650 every single thing it's connected to is important. Even things related to power from my wall! My surge protector degrades audio. Old house I guess...

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #10,991 of 46,497
O2 fanboys like to think O2 is all they ever need, but that's just dumb. 

The O2 was awful for me. Major distortion and I'm told there's a mismatch with my DAC.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #10,993 of 46,497
Quote:
The O2 was awful for me. Major distortion and I'm told there's a mismatch with my DAC.

How do you know it's not the DACs fault? On my E9 the HRT MS II sounds totally different than how it is on my Headroom Micro and Magni (both transparent).

Do you find the MSII+ warm like the MSII? I hated the MSII for the HD-650 and any warm headphone.

Also..I've found my MOV based surge protector to really screw up the sound of my headphone amps. Impossible you'd think.. only really audible with warm or bassy headphones. What it sounds like is added distortion which makes no sense. I switched to a TVS-diode based surge protector.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #10,995 of 46,497
Quote:

Screw it! I think amps are worth it. 

Past $10 for an amp it's all diminishing returns! Don't forget it!
Not much difference between a Lyr and an E5. If so it's all placebo!
Both have the same measurements and same power output.
Actually the HD-800 and K1000 get louder with an E5 so it's technically best.

Louder=better sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back