Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #646 of 46,499
AD900 are more forward, treble more prominent. The HD650 are so far better with lower end bass. The Mids on both are excellent. They are both very fast cans, can't think of any songs that either have problems with so far.

For me they compliment each other very well for my listening preferences. Headphones are personal, so you will have to make that decision yourself.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #647 of 46,499
I will never sell mine.

Unless I somehow get my hands on a pair of HD800s for under $800.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #648 of 46,499
With my Total AirHead for my dynamic headphones, and including my Stax 2050II system, I have not heard a better headphone than the HD650. I will be getting a Woo Audio 6 within a month or so, so it will be interesting to see if the HD650 remains my favorite.

The HD650 seems to offer everything I want: musicality, detail, texture, good soundstaging, a feeling of involvement with the music, and a near-ideal bass-mid-treble balance. I have not yet heard a veil - if anything, it is almost bright. The pads softening over time will darken the sound (proximity effect), and the Woo Audio 6 will undoubtedly warm it up. Will it then be veiled? Maybe.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #649 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuge(original) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well ,that will get better will time .

Agreed, mine have been getting better. Still not as comfy as my AD900s but they are improving. AD900s are hard to touch if they work for you (apparently some people find their ears rub the mesh over the driver).

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #650 of 46,499
The Absolute Sound Golden Ear award for Headphones in 2008 went to HD650. Coolness.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #651 of 46,499
Here they are.

I just got my HD650s delivered today for 320$ from J&R. First thing to notice - classy looking box, holding a classy product.
smily_headphones1.gif

These headphones look beautiful. The headband is different from the 595s, the earpads look kinda the same. First thing I did was to put them on my head, even before plugging them in. The clamping force is stronger than that on the 595s, but still the overall comfort is way better, as the ear isn't touching any part of the phones in an irritating way. So far so good.

Then came the real test - the sound. I use the phones plugged into my Xonar Essence STX Headphone Out, with default opamps (some new are coming this way). After some testing without any burn-in my impression is that the greatest thing about these headphones is the detail. They are times more revealing than the 595s (most comparisons will be with these phones, as they are the only other mid-hi end pair I have). This can work in both ways, as if the recording is good and in lossless quality, the cans will also sound that way, but if it is a low-bitrate mp3, well, you know. The overall sound signature is similar to the other Senns, but it improves all weaknesses they had - the bass is not anemic anymore, it is powerful, yet completely under control (unlike say 212 Pros), the mids are sweet and quick, and the highs are definitely present without being harsh.

The phones are a little more laidback than the 595s, but are still suitable for all kinds of music, including metal and rock (listening to Dark Tranquility as I write this). I can only assume the Xonar is driving them properly, as I do not hear any lacking energy or punch over the whole spectrum. So far I feel there is no such thing as the Sennheiser Veil™, this might change with burn-in though. I can only hope they will change for the better. I plan on listening to them during the day, and leaving them to burn in in the nights.

So yeah, another satisfied HD650 user.
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #652 of 46,499
BTW, found a trick if your HD650s are making the creaking noise at any of the joints. Mine was making it on the left side and things like that drive me batty XD The sound was great but any time I was eating or talking it make the noises. I put some blue painters tape between the offending joints hinges (outside of the joint itself). Fixed! Just tear off the excess and youre good.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #653 of 46,499
Do most people here listen to them with the cushion touching the back of the ear?

The sound is right that way but not the most comfortable. With the ear in the middle, completely contained, the sound is too far back of my head.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #654 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do most people here listen to them with the cushion touching the back of the ear?

The sound is right that way but not the most comfortable. With the ear in the middle, completely contained, the sound is too far back of my head.

That's funny, that's exactly how I wear mine!

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #656 of 46,499
About that Sennheiser Veil...

Personally concluded there is none. My suspicion why people may say that, is because they are not used to balanced sound. Now I know the HD650s are not the most balanced, they have an emphasis on the bass, but compared to other headphones they are balanced. The bass is not boomy or exploding like it was on the D2000, HD280 or the few times I heard the DT770. The treble isn't forward sounding like it is on my AD900s or ridiculously destroyed on the Grado SR80 I heard. When all the sound is about the same level, without a huge emphasis on the bass or the treble, I think causes this perception of veil as this is not what most headfiers are used to.

Also speed, yeah these are not slow. If they can play jazz and classical so well, how can anyone ever say these are slow? I'm listening to Psy-Trance and the speed, clarity is spot on.

But I'm glad I have the AD900s when I do want more forward sounding headphones for my heavy alternative/grunge/metal.

Mar 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #657 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally concluded there is none. My suspicion why people may say that, is because they are not used to balanced sound.

Yep, I think you are right and they are certainly the most balanced headphones I have ever heard. I suspect this is why they scale so extremely well when you upgrade your components.

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #658 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally concluded there is none. My suspicion why people may say that, is because they are not used to balanced sound. Now I know the HD650s are not the most balanced, they have an emphasis on the bass, but compared to other headphones they are balanced. The bass is not boomy or exploding like it was on the D2000, HD280 or the few times I heard the DT770. The treble isn't forward sounding like it is on my AD900s or ridiculously destroyed on the Grado SR80 I heard. When all the sound is about the same level, without a huge emphasis on the bass or the treble, I think causes this perception of veil as this is not what most headfiers are used to.

Completely agree. I've owned AD900, SR80 & DT880---all for about a week. Waaay too much treble on all of them, especially the latter two. Waaay unbalanced. To me the HD650 sounds just right (the HD595/555 too, for that matter). I don't know what the other manufacturers are up to, but it seems to me only Sennheiser seems to know what live music sounds like. The others all appear to be designing for effect, to get that initial wow factor in the shop.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #659 of 46,499
I was very hesitant to buy the HD650's based on all the talk about their "veiled" sound. I already had a pair of AKG 701's to compare them with. I definitely agree that there is no veil.

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #660 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely agree. I've owned AD900, SR80 & DT880---all for about a week. Waaay too much treble on all of them, especially the latter two. Waaay unbalanced. To me the HD650 sounds just right (the HD595/555 too, for that matter). I don't know what the other manufacturers are up to, but it seems to me only Sennheiser seems to know what live music sounds like. The others all appear to be designing for effect, to get that initial wow factor in the shop.

Also they sound the closest to actual loudspeakers out of all the headphones I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back