Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #45,046 of 46,497
I just bought a 650 and am using it with a Bifrost 2 + Asgard 3. I'm really disappointed in the lackluster bass. I heard through others that it was supposed to be good, but I don't find that to be the case. The sound is otherwise great, but I may as well listen to a couple of bookshelf speakers across the room with no subwoofer.
Probably the wrong cans for you. Nothing is going to radically transform them. I’ve moved on pretty quickly when a piece of gear is way off for me, rather than trying to make it something it’s not.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #45,048 of 46,497
Of the Schiit h/p/a that I have used, the best match with the HD600 / HD6XX is Valhalla 2. The next best match is Lyr 3. First is all-tube OTL; second is SS/tube hybrid.
Asgard goes hard as well, but the poster has nailed the signature, it's more or less going to sound like a pair of monitors with fantastic timbre.
How is the bass/sub-bass on the 6XX?
Bass starts to noticeably roll off after 40Hz, so don't expect much rumble, but otherwise it's flat with a nice hint of warmth, organic and clean when appropriately driven.

Jun 18, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #45,049 of 46,497
The 650 has good bass as long as you’re not directly comparing it to a high end planar or something like the Focal Clear. It doesn’t have the same tightness and clarity as those do. However, the bass can be improved with EQ as well as different pads. In particular, the new ZMF pads. I've only tried the suede ones so far, but they really tighten up the bass and are bringing new life to my 650s. I also have the copper mass loading mod on the way from Custom Cans, and I suspect those will improve the bass even further.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #45,050 of 46,497
HD6XX (with Custom Cans UK nickel-plated cnc backweight): first earside modification & current earside modification.
6AF3D668-ADDE-4A34-A793-22BACEDFEAE4.jpeg
65374567-F9BA-493B-8000-BC32199B882A.jpeg
46400B02-4273-44BA-ADBF-0D138F6080B2.jpeg
[Sheer fabric is from Michael’s Art & Craft Store.]

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #45,052 of 46,497
The 650 has good bass as long as you’re not directly comparing it to a high end planar or something like the Focal Clear. It doesn’t have the same tightness and clarity as those do. However, the bass can be improved with EQ as well as different pads. In particular, the new ZMF pads. I've only tried the suede ones so far, but they really tighten up the bass and are bringing new life to my 650s. I also have the copper mass loading mod on the way from Custom Cans, and I suspect those will improve the bass even further.
Indeed! And remove driver side foam, replace earside foam with sheer material, leave the backweight ‘doughnut hole’ empty……clarity in abundance 😄:
E935B6C2-F116-4479-B227-00BDF486F8A4.jpeg

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #45,053 of 46,497
Just curious if anyone prefers hd650 over any totl cans... like susvara, 009s, sr1a, utopia, 1266 tc, lcd5 etc?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #45,054 of 46,497
Indeed! And remove driver side foam, replace earside foam with sheer material, leave the backweight ‘doughnut hole’ empty……clarity in abundance 😄:

No, fill the donut. :p

Its nice to add a new thing to debate on the old sennies.

580 vs 600 vs 650 vs 660

baffle wars

CC empty donut or stuffed

cc1.jpg

Comply Galaxy + which is a pretty open tip to be fair.

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #45,056 of 46,497
Just curious if anyone prefers hd650 over any totl cans... like susvara, 009s, sr1a, utopia, 1266 tc, lcd5 etc?

Apologies for double post.

But yeah I have seen some. But i think it's a comfort thing like a pair of old sneakers, than for actual performance reasons like speed, detail, and bass performance.

Though for some tonality is the most important, especially on music from like the past where details just brings out the horrible sounds of old recordings.

Smoothed over the rough areas, it can be a blessing to enjoy music from way way back.

Senns seem to "disappear" sometimes when listening to music, because nothing jumps out (offensive) or overly detailed to the point of fatigue.

Especially older pairs with the wider headband, as newer ones seem to clamp more (the profile seems more contoured)

And since older pairs are sometimes like 20 years old, it's hard to beat the comfort (physical and mental)

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #45,057 of 46,497
How is the bass/sub-bass on the 6XX?
Only have the HD650 and it is OK without any EQ, but not great. It mostly impacts you if you listen to bass heavy genres like electronica, hip-hop etc. but is generally fine for jazz, pop and similar. It has decent extension in the bass region, but is lacking in sub-bass. It also doesn't have the punch that quite a few other headphones do. Basically thumping bass will feel a bit muted and lacking in definition.

The HD650 magic is in the midrange where it is among the best in frequency balance without EQ and it has a very natural tonal balance when driven by good amplification. If they had slightly more resolution and better bass then they would be competing with TOTL headphones.

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #45,058 of 46,497
Apologies for double post.

But yeah I have seen some. But i think it's a comfort thing like a pair of old sneakers, than for actual performance reasons like speed, detail, and bass performance.

Though for some tonality is the most important, especially on music from like the past where details just brings out the horrible sounds of old recordings.

Smoothed over the rough areas, it can be a blessing to enjoy music from way way back.

Senns seem to "disappear" sometimes when listening to music, because nothing jumps out (offensive) or overly detailed to the point of fatigue.

Especially older pairs with the wider headband, as newer ones seem to clamp more (the profile seems more contoured)

And since older pairs are sometimes like 20 years old, it's hard to beat the comfort (physical and mental)

I don't own any of the TOTL cans @smodtactical mentions (owning HD8XX, Clears, HE6v2, Jade II, LCD-XC, MDR-Z1R, & AH-D9200) and would rather have several of what I guess are now considered mid-fi? cans with a variety of sound signatures. :wink:

Anyway, I definitely resemble your remarks about the HD650/6XX and use my HD6XXs for 'shuffle'...where they often get more listening time than the others combined in a given week.

Dumbest thing I've ever done in the 'Head-Fi Universe' was to sell my HD650s...that lasted for about 3 months before I realized my mistake.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #45,059 of 46,497
Only have the HD650 and it is OK without any EQ, but not great. It mostly impacts you if you listen to bass heavy genres like electronica, hip-hop etc. but is generally fine for jazz, pop and similar. It has decent extension in the bass region, but is lacking in sub-bass. It also doesn't have the punch that quite a few other headphones do. Basically thumping bass will feel a bit muted and lacking in definition.

The HD650 magic is in the midrange where it is among the best in frequency balance without EQ and it has a very natural tonal balance when driven by good amplification. If they had slightly more resolution and better bass then they would be competing with TOTL headphones.
Take a look:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...hd6xx-impressions-thread.197776/post-17015291

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...hd6xx-impressions-thread.197776/post-17015427

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #45,060 of 46,497
Indeed! And remove driver side foam, replace earside foam with sheer material, leave the backweight ‘doughnut hole’ empty……clarity in abundance 😄:E935B6C2-F116-4479-B227-00BDF486F8A4.jpeg

I followed your recommendation once again and I love the improvement! it really opens the hd6xx up. Before any mod, it would sound ok nice but nothing that grabbed my attention most of the time and there wasn't a major sound quality difference using headphone jack from my luxman l-505ux vs my valhalla 2 (it was more like just sounds differently slightly) but now after the mod they really sing on the vahalla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back