Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #44,641 of 46,497
It does loosen up after some use, but some of it will be due to pad compression which is derogatory to the sound. A good tip is to extend the headband fully and carefully bend outward on the metal band parts a few times and then push them back to your preferred size. This will loosen the clamp force a bit. Done carefully, it will make them sit firmly on the head but with a comfortable amount of pressure.

Some also suggest to grip the plastic of the headband and bend outwards, but this concentrates the force on the “dimple” in the middle of the headband and risks breaking it if not very careful. It can work to loosen the clamp force too, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
This approach worked well for me also.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #44,642 of 46,497
Just revelling today in my 6xx setup as a salve to hassle of the most recent (Omicron) surge. Source is Tidal via HP Elitebook—-> USB into IFi Zen DAC V2–>RCA —> Douk Audio P2 tube amp with Ge Jan5654w tubes—> Zen Can. Douk P2 has bass, mid and treble eq knobs plus the Zen Can has XBass and 3D. I use Dekoni balanced cables. Sq very good- stage is wider in this set up than o/w (still not Aryas but very good) and bass quantity is amazing Other FR and technicalities are not much different than SS but I love the ability to EQ on the fly.

Attachments

• ED9B7171-6641-4761-AD08-9B16235C904A.jpeg
    ED9B7171-6641-4761-AD08-9B16235C904A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #44,643 of 46,497
But it's not really.a 200 eur headphone really, is it? Some of us believe these Sennheisers are the best headphones (for us) out there at any price point.
And as of now - I'am of course really biased:) But it has improved my listening experience a lot compared with the stock cable:darthsmile:

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #44,644 of 46,497
And as of now - I'am of course really biased:) But it has improved my listening experience a lot compared with the stock cable:darthsmile:
Cables are a funny thing, very subjective and a major hot button topic for many. I definitely believe there are audible differences among cables, but at the same time I believe the asking prices of some ‘high end’ cables are borderline criminal, and I do NOT believe that ‘you get what you pay for’, especially in cable world. At the end of the day, you have only yourself to make happy, and only you can decide whether a particular cable is worth the price of admission for your headphones, in your system to your taste. I have 650 cable on my 580s, blue dragon on my 600s, and custom mogami microphone cable with furutech connectors on my 650s. The cables all sound different from each other and, when I switch them around, different from themselves. For example, the blue dragons are very complementary to the 600s, but sound a little ‘light’ on the 650s. Don’t know why, they just do. It’s an empirical observation, not a scientific finding. I bought them second hand for about $110, and I do enjoy having them at that price, but I personally probably would not buy them at the $325 retail price. Others might think $325 is a bargain if they get the exact right sound they are looking for. This is a hobby - it’s supposed to be fun (no matter what the measurement guys tell you). Just enjoy it!

Jan 17, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #44,649 of 46,497
how do i know if my hd650 is the latest model?
I'd be interested to know as well. I didn't think the models have been updated thru the years. The only difference was where they were assembled. I'd like to know :)

Thanks

Leo

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #44,650 of 46,497
how do i know if my hd650 is the latest model?
How do you know you want the latest model? 😈

The current ones are made in Romania instead of Ireland, and among other telltale signs, the yokes are slightly squared instead of rounded, they don’t have L and R stamped into the outsides (on the yoke, just above the cups - they are stamped on the inside) and the three braille dots on the left side are on the front instead of on the side. I’m sure there are other slight differences as well. I don’t know if any of them affect the sound quality, one way or the other. Supposedly the drivers are still made in Ireland and then shipped to Romania for assembly in the Romanian made bodies. Also, I have heard/read a rumour that production is moving back to Ireland, but I don’t know the details or even if it’s true.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #44,653 of 46,497
I owned the HD6XX for a short period of time. For around $200 it's not a bad headphone. I own the Philips X2HR as well and I didn't think the 6XX was any better than the Philips.
I think it very much depends on what you're running it on.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #44,654 of 46,497
I owned the HD6XX for a short period of time. For around $200 it's not a bad headphone. I own the Philips X2HR as well and I didn't think the 6XX was any better than the Philips.
I guess that your impressions confirm that each person has their own "ecosystem" relative to sound, and to each their own. All good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back