Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 11, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #44,237 of 46,497
I agree that Senn’s audiophile stuff is likely to continue to thrive and develop. Their continued “playing around” with variations on the 580/600/650/6XX/58X/660 is really fun as far as I’m concerned. An infusion of capital could help here, as it has with other companies. Stax, for example, would likely have gone away if they hadn’t been purchased.

There’s a rumored new product release apparently coming May 11.
That would appear to be the IE900 IEM, which is still miles behind the competition at the price point.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ie-900

Seems the bass presentation is excellent, at least.

I guess in the future there will no more 6xx, 8xx, 58x. All their focus is audiophile TWS (high price) headphones.
If anything, the 58X, 6XX and the 8XX are the most likely to stay out of all their over-ears.

Sonova aren't foolish enough to invest only in IEMs, either.

May 14, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #44,239 of 46,497
Someone talk me out of it...

I have had the HD650 for about 10 years, and they are working fine. I baby them like you wouldnt believe, if they are not on my head - they are in a hard case. So, I imagine if a driver was you going to fail it would have happened by now, right?

But, still, with the recent Sennheiser sell-out, I am very tempted to buy a pair of HD6xx for "back-up" because the 650 is my favorite of the three HD series I own...

I'm afraid it would be a waste of money, however. I have a feeling they would sit in the box unused for the next 5+ years, until I finally realize my HD650 is not going to break and I end up selling the "back-ups". Also, I hear the HD6xx does not even sound exactly like the laid-back, vinyl-loving, smooth HD650s.

Please, someone talk me out of it. I don't need a 4th HD600 series headphone... Or do I?

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #44,240 of 46,497

I have had the HD650 for about 10 years, and they are working fine. I baby them like you wouldnt believe, if they are not on my head - they are in a hard case. So, I imagine if a driver was you going to fail it would have happened by now, right?

But, still, with the recent Sennheiser sell-out, I am very tempted to buy a pair of HD6xx for "back-up" because the 650 is my favorite of the three HD series I own...

I'm afraid it would be a waste of money, however. I have a feeling they would sit in the box unused for the next 5+ years, until I finally realize my HD650 is not going to break and I end up selling the "back-ups". Also, I hear the HD6xx does not even sound exactly like the laid-back, vinyl-loving, smooth HD650s.

Please, someone talk me out of it. I don't need a 4th HD600 series headphone... Or do I?

You do need it. They are already starting to announce small changes after the sale (see today's posts in the 660S thread). Who knows what will change with the 650. If it's your favorite, grab a backup. Once it's gone, it's gone.

(Full disclosure - I own three HD-600s, 2 marble version, 1 new version) :)

May 14, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #44,241 of 46,497
You do need it. They are already starting to announce small changes after the sale (see today's posts in the 660S thread). Who knows what will change with the 650. If it's your favorite, grab a backup. Once it's gone, it's gone.

(Full disclosure - I own three HD-600s, 2 marble version, 1 new version) :)

Well, unexpectedly, your reply had the desired effect... After seeing that post I ordered 3 more sets of replacement ear pads...

Oh well I wasn't expecting that quite so soon :D. Apparently someone on another headphones-related forum received this information from Sennheiser in an email :

Quite curious to see if anyone else could confirm that info ?

Even though I now prefer to use Dekoni's pads I'll probably purchase the newer pads to try them. The transparent material at the back seems to echo the material used on the HD560S' pads. Perhaps now the same supplier ?

I will still probably order the HD6xx at some point - but having the original pads is more important to me right now. Thank you for the heads up.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #44,244 of 46,497
Hi guys. I have a 15 yr old pair of 650s. Lately I detected a buzzing noise on the left driver and dismantled it to check. Instead of a hair, I found that the foam at the back of the driver, under the spider cage, had disintegrated and dropped inside. I cleared it out after scraping off the foam.

This has made the headphone sound clearer but also much brighter. The bass is almost non-existent and I want my old sound back. I tried using similar foam to put under the cage but it wasn’t right and the bass was still missing. Any suggestions on what foam to use?

May 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #44,245 of 46,497
Hi guys. I have a 15 yr old pair of 650s. Lately I detected a buzzing noise on the left driver and dismantled it to check. Instead of a hair, I found that the foam at the back of the driver, under the spider cage, had disintegrated and dropped inside. I cleared it out after scraping off the foam.

This has made the headphone sound clearer but also much brighter. The bass is almost non-existent and I want my old sound back. I tried using similar foam to put under the cage but it wasn’t right and the bass was still missing. Any suggestions on what foam to use?
Just taking a guess you probably need new pads as well. Order a replacement pair from sennheiser - they come with new foam too.

*edit* wait... You mean the little tiny foam behind the driver? That sucks. I would call sennheiser about it, they might be able to send replacement foam

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #44,246 of 46,497

You probably don't need to get advice from me as I do have 4-HD600 family headphones already. Lol! When I find a good deal on a HD580 Precision (not even going to try for a Jubilee with the prices they command these days) I plan to have 5.

Going back to your original question that may not be a bad idea. Sometimes you can get the HD6XXs for really low in the $160ish range. You'll have your backups if needed. Your right in that they very well may end up sitting in a box. If you ever do need them however and with the uncertainty of the status of Sennheiser audiophile cans moving forward, it would be very comforting to know you had them. Plus it would be cool to compare the 6XXs to the 650s and see if you can hear any differences with them.

May 26, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #44,247 of 46,497
Re-joining the Sennheiser bandwagon!

51203071557_2c7ac4abc2_c.jpg

Too bad Drop doesn't allow direct shipping of the HD 6xx to the Philippines (have to go through freight forwarders), so I just bought the HD 650 from one of the local dealers. I was surprised to see that the new packaging is a lot smaller, having done away with the sturdy cardboard box of prior releases. Apart from that, i couldn't distinguish any difference from prior HD 650 versions. They sound great with the RME ADI-2 FS DAC! :)

May 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #44,248 of 46,497
Re-joining the Sennheiser bandwagon!

51203071557_2c7ac4abc2_c.jpg

Too bad Drop doesn't allow direct shipping of the HD 6xx to the Philippines (have to go through freight forwarders), so I just bought the HD 650 from one of the local dealers. I was surprised to see that the new packaging is a lot smaller, having done away with the sturdy cardboard box of prior releases. Apart from that, i couldn't distinguish any difference from prior HD 650 versions. They sound great with the RME ADI-2 FS DAC! :)

I find it really sad that Drop is still so focused on doing business in US only. I kinda get it, but it's also quite nonsensical.
When I bought my HD6XX, they were manufactured in Europe, got shipped to the US and then I had to import them.
I'm unsure how serious massdrop is for being in the headphone business in cooperation with other manufacturers, but I really think they do need to step their game up a bit.

In any case, I'm happy to hear you came into possession of your own HD650 unit!
Have fun, these headphones are, at least in my opinion, still a gamechanger for the price point!
Although I do have the controversial opinion that the Deva seemed to do a better job for me musically (I personally wouldn't recommend them tho due to build quality issues)

May 26, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #44,249 of 46,497
I find it really sad that Drop is still so focused on doing business in US only. I kinda get it, but it's also quite nonsensical.
When I bought my HD6XX, they were manufactured in Europe, got shipped to the US and then I had to import them.
I'm unsure how serious massdrop is for being in the headphone business in cooperation with other manufacturers, but I really think they do need to step their game up a bit.

In any case, I'm happy to hear you came into possession of your own HD650 unit!
Have fun, these headphones are, at least in my opinion, still a gamechanger for the price point!
Although I do have the controversial opinion that the Deva seemed to do a better job for me musically (I personally wouldn't recommend them tho due to build quality issues)

My suspicion is that Sennheiser's distributors outside the US have some sort of arrangement with Drop (or even Sennheiser HQ itself) that sales of the HD 6xx are limited only to the US market to make it difficult for those outside the US to purchase them (either you have to get a freight forwarder or face the prospect of paying significant import duties just to purchase them). Then there's the warranty support, which I understand is limited to the US (i.e., if something happens to your HD 6xx you will have to send it back to Drop, which means more shipping costs from your end).

I've owned a number of high-end headphones through the years (Ether O red ring, Focal Elear, AKG K812) and yet I keep returning to the good ol' Sennheiser HD 6X0 series. There's really something magical with how the HD 6X0 series render vocals and everything midrange. Their narrow soundstage and relative slowness don't bother me a bit (besides, if I want something wide and fast I'll just turn to my Sony MDR-Z7M2, CIEMs or go straight for my Adam Audio T5V monitors).

I hope Sennheiser never retires the HD 6X0 series (especially the 650). It will always remain the benchmark against which all other headphones will be compared.

May 26, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #44,250 of 46,497
My suspicion is that Sennheiser's distributors outside the US have some sort of arrangement with Drop (or even Sennheiser HQ itself) that sales of the HD 6xx are limited only to the US market to make it difficult for those outside the US to purchase them (either you have to get a freight forwarder or face the prospect of paying significant import duties just to purchase them). Then there's the warranty support, which I understand is limited to the US (i.e., if something happens to your HD 6xx you will have to send it back to Drop, which means more shipping costs from your end).

I've owned a number of high-end headphones through the years (Ether O red ring, Focal Elear, AKG K812) and yet I keep returning to the good ol' Sennheiser HD 6X0 series. There's really something magical with how the HD 6X0 series render vocals and everything midrange. Their narrow soundstage and relative slowness don't bother me a bit (besides, if I want something wide and fast I'll just turn to my Sony MDR-Z7M2, CIEMs or go straight for my Adam Audio T5V monitors).

I hope Sennheiser never retires the HD 6X0 series (especially the 650). It will always remain the benchmark against which all other headphones will be compared.
I think so, too!

I've spoken to some people that told me the HD650 sounded "off" tonality wise, but I could never really confirm that.
I now use a ZMF Auteur as a daily driver. I undoubtedly perceive it to be as the better headphone (and one I can actually listen to without my ears starting to ring!), but the 6X0 surely are a fine pair! And it still does Piano and Vocals better imo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back