Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #42,121 of 46,497
To me, not much except it smoothed out the treble every so slightly. However, there is still plenty of treble detail. I should point out that I use the Jotunheim amp which I found to be too bright with my HD6XX. The Dekoni pads tame the brightness and add a bit more bass depth and clarity. I suspect that if you have a dark or warm sounding amp the Dekoni pads probably wouldn't work too well.
And does it make the vocals more distant or more emphasized as compared to the stock pads?

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #42,122 of 46,497
And does it make the vocals more distant or more emphasized as compared to the stock pads?

So I’m using myJot/Mimby combo to do the comparison. I occasionally move the pads between the HD650 & HD6XX. At the moment I have the Dekoni pads on the 6XX and the stock cable is re-terminated XLR which obviously is plugged into the balanced headphone output. The HD650 have the stock pads and stock SE cable. The Balanced is louder than the SE so I have to adjust the volume to match levels between headphones. So not apples to apples but here goes.

First off, with the Dekoni’s the soundscape is narrower or the way I visualize it it sounds like I’m sitting closer to the stage than with the stock pads. As for the vocals both sound quite similar however I believe the Dekoni pads have slightly better clarity. I don’t know if this is due to the pads or because they are balanced. Bottom line, vocals are extremely similar to my 64 year old ears.

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #42,123 of 46,497
The information is in Solderdude's HD650 review. Looks like there was a post as back as 2013 discussing pad changes. If you look at them, there are color hue differences. I guess this discussion just slipped by me over the years.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd650/

He stated, "The new pads have the product code: 050635"

hd650-pads.jpg

hd-650-r-old-pads-vs-new-pads.png

What was quite interesting is his review of HD600. The green is HD650 with new pads, and blue is HD600. Look at what new pads does. It's caused by the pad.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd600-2/

hd600-vs-hd650-new-pads1.png

This is the necrobump from 2013

I was reading the old vs new discussion on Purrin's site when post from Solderdude piqued my interest as he was talking about pads differences and linked to that Japanese blog comparing two
http://sonove.angry.jp/HD650_Pad_effect.html

I had a pair of new HD650 pads that I purchased recently but was holding on installing them as my original pads were not so worn out. So after the reading I checked the pads and wow, the foam inside new pads is much stiffer comparing to my old (black drivers) original HD650 pads, even that they don't have a lot of mileage on them. They are also deeper as picture above shows.
So I went ahead and installed new pads. And bam, instant gratification, bass got super tight and top end gained extra sparkle, the instrument positioning is more precise with more cohesive soundstage and better imaging.

4294854.jpg

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #42,124 of 46,497
This satisfies my curiosity of why my impression of my HD650 from a decade ago was different from HD6XX. My HD650 was definitely warmer, and I used to refer to as kind of 'veiled' as well. Not really with the HD6XX anymore though.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #42,125 of 46,497
The information is in Solderdude's HD650 review.
HD650 old pad red, new pad green

Edit: Damn, site upgrade got me part way through.
If you increase the SPL+5dB with the new pads, green line, you might get a better idea of the change in balance e.g. boost in 1kHz - 2kHz and 4kHz - 10kHz regions

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #42,126 of 46,497
By 'old' you don't mean worn, but actual old model of pads? I think Solderdude is saying pads actually got changed to a newer type at some point and that makes significant enough changes if you compare old and new 'fresh' pads.

So, you mean new ones seem to be stiffer and not compress as much as the old types? Works well for me with HD6XX (prefer it stiffer, not easily compressed) and I prefer the clamping force, combined feels snug and works well IMO.

Yeah, there's two types of ear pads, the ones sennheiser sells now is different (stiffer) than the older type of pads (softer).

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #42,127 of 46,497
Yeah, there's two types of ear pads, the ones sennheiser sells now is different (stiffer) than the older type of pads (softer).
Seems to be the case when reading around.

Based on all this info, we can theorize that there is a warm tilt when pads are narrower and not as stiff as the new type pads, and also when the pads wears and gets more compressed, causes tonality to get warmer (perceptually reducing treble level).

For some that is sensitive, this warm-ness is probably desireable. For me personally, HD600's treble and tonality becomes more to my liking as the pad is compressed. It becomes closer to 6XX. This is what probably contributes to differences in opinions.

6XX really benefits from the added thickness and stiffness of new type pads, providing more of a cooler tilt.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #42,128 of 46,497
Re PortaPro's (big fan here...I'm on my 2nd pair), I wouldn't dare mess w/using thicker pads like the YAXI ones. The small amt of add'l comfort might be a good thing, but any sonic changes (likely, based on my experience w/earpads of all kinds) would not be a good thing. The PortaPro's have a shockingly good sonic balance right out of the package. I own 2 other less expensive Koss portable headsets that are way too bassy, but the PP's are just about perfect.

In other words, same problem as HD650's pads. Difference is it's easy/cheap to buy replacement PortaPro pads direct from Koss (I have).

My PortaPro arrived today and man I have to say these headphones sound very good indeed. I have the Beyerdynamic DT1350's and the PortaPro's really remind me of them. I did a brief comparison and they sound very very similar. The PortaPro has a narrower soundstage but the bass is noticeably fuller & punchier (and I think the DT1350's has nice bass). The look and feel make them appear cheap and flimsy so care must be taken handling them.

Thanks to whoever it was that brought the PortaPro's up in this (or the HD58X) thread.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #42,129 of 46,497
So I’m using myJot/Mimby combo to do the comparison. I occasionally move the pads between the HD650 & HD6XX. At the moment I have the Dekoni pads on the 6XX and the stock cable is re-terminated XLR which obviously is plugged into the balanced headphone output. The HD650 have the stock pads and stock SE cable. The Balanced is louder than the SE so I have to adjust the volume to match levels between headphones. So not apples to apples but here goes.

First off, with the Dekoni’s the soundscape is narrower or the way I visualize it it sounds like I’m sitting closer to the stage than with the stock pads. As for the vocals both sound quite similar however I believe the Dekoni pads have slightly better clarity. I don’t know if this is due to the pads or because they are balanced. Bottom line, vocals are extremely similar to my 64 year old ears.
Those are the ''Dekoni Elite Velours'' you're using right?

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #42,130 of 46,497
Those are the ''Dekoni Elite Velours'' you're using right?

Yes, Elite Velour. Be sure to check them out at Massdrop.com. Wait until they drop, I think they're around $34. Also, read the COMMENTS and REVIEWS, a while back there were complaints about them coming apart but I think they have fixed that issue. I bought mine over a year ago and have had no issue with them.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #42,131 of 46,497
My HD 600s have the old stock pads. Its their second pair. I also replaced headband foam. I knew something was different when I first put the new HD 650s on. While you guys are still discussing pads, what about the Dekoni Hybrids and the perforated sheepskin ones? Anyone make better pads than Dekoni?

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #42,132 of 46,497
fullsizeoutput_12da.jpeg

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #42,135 of 46,497
i am looking for a good dap under 350$ for my hd6xx. any recommendations?
maybe an ibasso dx120?

That's a hard maybe, nothing really has enough power for them in that price range. Maybe you'd have good luck with the strongest DAP at that price range, like the one that has most driving power, Opus #1s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back