1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. JKDJedi
    You can find them super cheap on Ebay or Amazon, I choose Darkvoice because of the reviews and how they match so well with the Senheisers. If you don't mind building your own amp, (Bottlehead Crack) might be the best option, again, I'm super happy with the Darkvoice. :)
    https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/darkvoice-336se.12324/reviews

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Pharmaboy
    Didn't know that. Do you mean when you plug the headphone directly into the laptop?

If yes, then you've just named the only good reason I've heard to use audio out of a laptop's headphone out (at least for critical listening).

3. dakanao
    Yes, when I plug the HD 650 directly into the headphone out of my laptop, I get more present vocals compared to the headphone out of the Chord Mojo.. Everything else is more refined on the Mojo ofcourse.

4. Pharmaboy
    Well, I hope you get to hear the HD650 on an OTL tube amp. It's not necessary, strictly speaking (the headphone sounds very good on SS). But there's just something about an impedance matched HD650. IMO it sounds ruler flat, composed, calm. Really a nice sonic "look" at this over-achieving classic.

5. dakanao
    The thing is; I remember my previous HD 6xx (right now I have a 2012 manufactered HD 650) to be more forward in the vocals, but more uppermid/highs peaky. But I used the HD 6xx only with the Mogami mini star quad cable.

The vocal emphasis was great on that HD 6xx

I'm gonna test out the next listening session if the vocals get more forward with the mini star quad cable I have here

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  6. castleofargh Contributor
    there is no rule as you could have any soundcard inside a laptop. but at least before, there was a trend of fairly high impedance output on cheap integrated soundcards. on my laptop I measure around 70ohm but the ouptut sucks in many more ways beside impedance ^_^. the output is super noisy, the crosstalk is in the -40dB even into fairly high impedance loads, that output is garbage because it is crap design, not because it's in a laptop.

the behavior you describe works on the assumption that beside impedance, the amplifier is otherwise stable, flat, transparent, etc... but that isn't always the case. low impedance output often comes from the use of massive negative feedback, so we come to associate low impedance with better overall stability because of the better damping ratio, but also because of the negative feedback. while a higher output amplifier probably has little negative feedback and more direct circuitry causing the amp itself to behave differently depending on the load. and then your guess is as good as mine when it comes to what the actual change will be.
    with that said, with a hd650 being 300ohm or more, most amps will work nominally. if they do sound different, chances are it was intended(or the amp is crap no matter what we plug in it).

7. DavidA
    I googled the output impedance of most laptops and it came back as 75ohms, which is still a bit on the high side but its still quire a bit less than 200ohms.

The BH Crack output impedance is dependent on the output tube used but you are correct that with the stock 6080 the output impedance is around 120ohms. Its why I like the 5998 family since it will lower the output impedance to around 75ohms, makes the BH Crack a slightly better pairing with more of my headphones.

JKDJedi likes this.
  8. dakanao
    Yes when I searched it back again after I made that post, I also saw it 75 ohms. That 200 ohms was when I looked it up a while ago.

I'm still wondering if that is actually the reason why the HD 650 has more present vocals on my laptop vs my Chord Mojo, or if there's another reason.

9. JKDJedi
    5998 ... Copy and Thanks!

10. dakanao
    The Darkvoice is a bit too large to put on my bed... The Project Ember II is small enough though, I'm wondering how they both compare?

11. buke9
    5998 + Bottlehead Crack + Hd-6xx = Awesomeness

JKDJedi likes this.
  12. dakanao
    So I used them with the Canare L-4E5C cable again yesterday and suddenly they're engaging me again with more upfront vocals, and a cleaner more refined sound

13. B0NES
    A sale just dropped on the Bottlehead SEX -- really considering pulling the trigger for my HD650. Preferring SEX over the Crack only because I want to add on speakers in the future.

JKDJedi likes this.
  14. claud W
    At the moment, my new set of HD 650s and their Norne Silvergarde S3-C are plugged into my DNA Stratus being broken in 24/7 for 10 days. They sound really nice, now, but time/break in will tell....

Pharmaboy likes this.
  15. JKDJedi
    Pink Noise?