1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. DavidA
    HD700 and HD800 sound quite different to me with the HD700 a bit more realistic in sound stage but both are not forgiving of poor recordings and both sound best on a OTL or hybrid amp IMO.

HungryPanda likes this.
  2. castleofargh Contributor
    if the usual variations are within the range of variation they always had on the hd650, then there is no reason not to treat them as the same headphones. before wondering why they don't communicate on the changes you feel you have on your pair, I believe it would be relevant to learn about the manufacturing standard for a hd650 or hd6xx. we know they try to match left and right drivers within +/-1dB when paring them, but what is the accepted range of responses before a driver is deemed defective and just discarded, instead of being put aside waiting for a close sibling to be matched with? same for final construction and pads, I have no idea what tolerances they follow.
    the few measurements I've seen certainly look like what I've gotten used to expect from a hd650. but I don't know how much effort was put into trying to get the same signature by the people making those measurements, so I'll reserve my judgement on that.

trellus likes this.
  3. penmarker
    Try out the HD700 first. They are very polarizing.

Some people hate them a lot and think they sound crap but some people love them and think they're phenomenal.

trellus and prymortal like this.
  4. SilverEars
    82a6d0770aeaafbae8f26bf40a822b9b79a5c412.png

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    HungryPanda likes this.
  5. Krutsch
    They *are* polarizing. I had a pair for years, but gave them away to a family member because I grew tired of the sound. And this was with an OTL amp.

There is a dip in the upper-mids that sounds unnatural to my ears. There is a treble spike, similar to the HD-800 (?), but that never really bothered me. I have seen frequency graphs that show a similar mid-range dip in the HD-800, which has removed those cans from my wishlist.

However, the bass is tight, smooth and really fantastic - a huge improvement over the HD-650, IMO, but I found myself using them only for large scale classical ... and then just less and less.

DavidA likes this.
  6. SilverEars
    HD580 Precision. It has the dark material for the vent compared to the newer white ones. Also on the previous video, Tyll points out that HD650 driver is multi-layerd diaphragm compared to HD600, which looks indistinguishable.

7. rlXX
    Is there any difference besides the colour?

8. dakanao
    Anyone here that wants to sell their stock HD 6xx cable?

9. DavidA
    send me a PM, if you haven't got any offers yet

10. Nik74
    I just pulled the trigger on a used pair of 650s, really excited , I hope to have them by end of the week.
    I ll mainly use them for those recordings where the 800S sounds less than forgiving but I have high hopes for them in general :)

11. Deftone
    Make sure to give yourself a lot of time to adjust if you're not sure on them straight away, they are very good for poor recording and masterings (most of my collection LOL)

Nik74 likes this.
  12. BobG55
    If you find the earpads are somewhat old and used up I'd recommend you get new ones. I buy the original/ authentic pads from Thomann.de, online since Sennheiser Canada does not sell any. Personally I find that new pads or ones in good shape make a difference in sound quality.

HungryPanda and Nik74 like this.
  13. SilverEars
    There's got to be a difference from the change in acoustic filtering from the difference in material.

14. Bananiq
    Since having Audio-GD Compass 2 - my HD6xx blossoms like never :) best setup I ever had. next step is kiss mod and silver dragon cable :)

15. Anarion
    I was able to listen to mine for one hour before I put them back in the box and packed them for return. The way I see it... It's not that they aren't forgiving for poorly mastered tracks but it makes even flat neutral tracks sound bad if it happens to have content around where the HD 700 has issues. To my ears at least. One should definitely listen to them before buying (and try multiple different tracks).