Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #41,266 of 46,499
I brought into the HD6XX hype at the start of 2017, so I paid $199 like many others and waited a staggering 3 months for them.
When I received them, I plugged them into my Schiit Fulla 2 that was previously occupied by my M40xs, so as you can tell these were my first audiophile headphones.
Now I know the HD6XX is said to scale up extremely well but my review is based on the sound signature and I don't think a better AMP will really change anything but I'm no expert.
it has been 1 month of listening to a lot of music with these and while I'm disappointed to say that they might not be for me, I now know what I possibly enjoy in cans.

These headphones have great detail and separation, you can very well hear the different instruments and pin point them out, its no exaggeration when people say they are detailed and have great resolution.
I'm not a bass head, and don't really know about bass that much but these headphones had a good low end, nothing amazing but it didn't matter to me much as previously stated.
When it comes to mids, the vocals are the best I've heard. Both female and male vocals are very enjoyable and come to life on these headphones, something that the HD650 is legendary for.
Now the sound signature, is very relaxing and very non-fatiguing on the ears, this is obviously due to the rolled off highs, and from what I've heard, this is what Sennheiser is known for.

With everything I liked said, what puts me off with these headphones is that they sound too smooth for me, I used to be able to enjoy synthwave and trance.
Coming from my previous headphones, it feels like someone took my knife and chopped off the tip, and then sanded it down to where there is no sharpness at all.
I struggled to enjoy high frequency noises with the HD650 and its taken the life out of my said listening preferences.
The treble is one thing I really dislike about the HD650, in other words if I don't put my volume loud enough, it feels as if I've come across some sort of veil here,
but I'm not sure if that's to be confused with the smoothness.
I also feel as if the entirety of the headphone is very laid back and feels slow sometimes, which is a bad pairing with certain music genres but good with others, a double etched sword here.
I'd also like to point out the clamping force is sort of annoying but everyone has a different head.

EDIT: I have mixed feelings about these, but for $199 I'd say they are definitely worth the price despite the additional AMP/DAC Cost to power these.

EQ your treble to where you like it.... The headphones respond well to EQ. You can give them what ever sound signature you prefer.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #41,267 of 46,499
I brought into the HD6XX hype at the start of 2017, so I paid $199 like many others and waited a staggering 3 months for them.
When I received them, I plugged them into my Schiit Fulla 2 that was previously occupied by my M40xs, so as you can tell these were my first audiophile headphones.
Now I know the HD6XX is said to scale up extremely well but my review is based on the sound signature and I don't think a better AMP will really change anything but I'm no expert.
it has been 1 month of listening to a lot of music with these and while I'm disappointed to say that they might not be for me, I now know what I possibly enjoy in cans.

These headphones have great detail and separation, you can very well hear the different instruments and pin point them out, its no exaggeration when people say they are detailed and have great resolution.
I'm not a bass head, and don't really know about bass that much but these headphones had a good low end, nothing amazing but it didn't matter to me much as previously stated.
When it comes to mids, the vocals are the best I've heard. Both female and male vocals are very enjoyable and come to life on these headphones, something that the HD650 is legendary for.
Now the sound signature, is very relaxing and very non-fatiguing on the ears, this is obviously due to the rolled off highs, and from what I've heard, this is what Sennheiser is known for.

With everything I liked said, what puts me off with these headphones is that they sound too smooth for me, I used to be able to enjoy synthwave and trance.
Coming from my previous headphones, it feels like someone took my knife and chopped off the tip, and then sanded it down to where there is no sharpness at all.
I struggled to enjoy high frequency noises with the HD650 and its taken the life out of my said listening preferences.
The treble is one thing I really dislike about the HD650, in other words if I don't put my volume loud enough, it feels as if I've come across some sort of veil here,
I also feel as if the entirety of the headphone is very laid back and feels slow sometimes, which is a bad pairing with certain music genres but good with others, a double etched sword here.
I'd also like to point out the clamping force is sort of annoying but everyone has a different head.

EDIT: I have mixed feelings about these, but for $199 I'd say they are definitely worth the price despite the additional AMP/DAC Cost to power these.

1. You might want to try the HD58X ($150 but I don't know how much it will be were you are) which some are guessing will be closer to the HD600 in the treble region.
2. I'd try a HE400i since it has a bit more sparkle in the treble and the bass is tighter and more detailed, its also a slightly more lively sound than the HD650/6XX
3. While over priced IMO the HD660S might be something to consider since its easier to drive and sound pretty good with most gear unlike the HD650, treble is not rolled off, and bass is a little tighter but its still not like a planar sound.
4. You can bend the metal slider to reduce the clamping force, I had to since the stock clamping force was giving me a head ache.
5. If you can DIY then I'd also suggest a Nhoord Red V2 custom build (PM me if you want more info on this since its a bit off topic)
6. Its not "veiled" but rolled off treble, a veiled sound affects the entire frequency range and its different from having rolled of highs but its most noticeable in the highs.
7. Depending on your tolerance to treble I'd also suggest trying a Grado (SR225e $200, very different sound from HD6XX), light weight but most will probably want to change the ear pads to Ear Zonk or OEM G-pads for comfort and they also give a bit of bass extension and some enhancement to the sound stage.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #41,268 of 46,499

My evaluation of the HD 6XX is very similar. I love the details and life they bring to vocals but they don't excel in every genre of music, especially more modern music due to its roll off. Very relaxing, but that's not really what I'm looking for in a headphone.

Personally I enjoy my DT880 a lot more especially for the price as they have a wonderful amount of detail without the roll off and stays fairly neutral without any boost. The one downside is that the DT880 600Ω are much much harder to drive. Once I put a little tape over the driver to tame its treble peak, I'm having a hard time finding a reason to keep my HD6XX. The clamp is also far more bearable out of the box compared to having to wrestle with the HD6XX.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #41,269 of 46,499
So in Jude's video, he states that HD58X is the brightest one of the family and states it's leaner sounding as well. I see from the graph that it's a bit leaner in the lowest end.

Now, regarding the roll-off, it's not technically a roll-off(at least according to this graph) per say, although people maybe stating in regards to how they are hearing it. Rather what the difference I see is the uneven-ness with HD58X in it's treble comparatively. HD650 is more evened out, but HD58X has more of a cut around the peak area. What I gather from this is that, in the treble region, treble can sound peaky if the frequencies around it are relatively dipped a bit(or there is a significant enough level of difference in the treble or a peak). At least with the graph, it's not technically a roll-off shown(650 actually shows higher levels around the 58X's peak).

RMS-Level---Massdrop-x-Sennheiser-HD58X-Jubilee---Sennheiser-HD650---DF.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #41,270 of 46,499

Yes, EQ can be your friend here. Download the trial version of True-Fi and tweak to taste. Good value in my opinion.

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #41,271 of 46,499
I should be getting the MCTH amp soon and trying to figure out the best way to hook it up to my sound card (Xonar D1 installed but also have SB0880 x-fi original titanium that I can put back in) with my desktop speakers in mind. I am assuming front out is what the amp instructions are going to say but I have my desktop speakers hooked up to spot (logitech z-2300). Is there a cord that is a RCA to both female (plug into z-2300) and male 3.5mm (soundcard)? I thought i had a cord at home like that but looking online I didn't really see any of this type so this might not be an option. The other option is amp > desktop speakers > headphones since the control hub for the desktop speakers also has a 3.5mm output. I would like to prevent a loss in audio quality on the headphones so I would prefer to hook it as recommended if that is going to be the case and using the front audio port for the speakers not connecting them to the amp. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #41,272 of 46,499
I should be getting the MCTH amp soon and trying to figure out the best way to hook it up to my sound card (Xonar D1 installed but also have SB0880 x-fi original titanium that I can put back in) with my desktop speakers in mind. I am assuming front out is what the amp instructions are going to say but I have my desktop speakers hooked up to spot (logitech z-2300). Is there a cord that is a RCA to both female (plug into z-2300) and male 3.5mm (soundcard)? I thought i had a cord at home like that but looking online I didn't really see any of this type so this might not be an option. The other option is amp > desktop speakers > headphones since the control hub for the desktop speakers also has a 3.5mm output. I would like to prevent a loss in audio quality on the headphones so I would prefer to hook it as recommended if that is going to be the case and using the front audio port for the speakers not connecting them to the amp. What do you guys think? Thanks.
If your speaker have a pass through for headphone, you can plug the amp into that.

You can get a Schiit Sys to split the signal, or just a simple headphone splitter. Or you can get a small switch box. I would avoid the really cheep switch boxes as they will degrade the sound. Alternatively, you could get an external DAC for the headphone amp. Finally, dropping your old sound card in and using one for speakers and one for the headphone amp should work fine too. Always good to use what you have.

You can call one card red and the other green! (NM joke)

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #41,273 of 46,499
I am in doubt about which of these amplifiers to buy and which has better synergy with the HD650, BH Crack, La Figaro 332C or WA3 (6922 vacuum tubes x 2
6080 vacuum tube x 1)?
I am thinking of investing in a DAC that harmonizes with one of these amp, a DAC up to 200 €.
Both the amplifier and the Dac I will use with the computer, so it can be only compatible for PC. And if you have a dac that can be amp / dac in case you need to use it would be better.
I prefer the sound in the 650 smooth and warm, so the amp would have to be that way too, if one of those came with the stock pipes looking like the 650s, it would be a lot better. Already the dac for the heat of the tubes, so far as I know, it would be better a good neutral and detailed dac. If anyone can help.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #41,274 of 46,499
I am in doubt about which of these amplifiers to buy and which has better synergy with the HD650, BH Crack, La Figaro 332C or WA3 (6922 vacuum tubes x 2
6080 vacuum tube x 1)?
I am thinking of investing in a DAC that harmonizes with one of these amp, a DAC up to 200 €.
Both the amplifier and the Dac I will use with the computer, so it can be only compatible for PC. And if you have a dac that can be amp / dac in case you need to use it would be better.
I prefer the sound in the 650 smooth and warm, so the amp would have to be that way too, if one of those came with the stock pipes looking like the 650s, it would be a lot better. Already the dac for the heat of the tubes, so far as I know, it would be better a good neutral and detailed dac. If anyone can help.

I have a Woo WA3 (w/the upgrade 2 X 6922 tubes). It sounds better in every way on the modded HD650's than any of my SS amps (2-3 of which are really excellent designs). There really is something to this OTL tube amp + high impedance headphone thing.

I was interested in the La Figaro 332C...but then I met Jack Wu at CanJam, discussed the WA3 w/him (I had some questions)--and that was that.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #41,275 of 46,499
I have a Woo WA3 (w/the upgrade 2 X 6922 tubes). It sounds better in every way on the modded HD650's than any of my SS amps (2-3 of which are really excellent designs). There really is something to this OTL tube amp + high impedance headphone thing.

I was interested in the La Figaro 332C...but then I met Jack Wu at CanJam, discussed the WA3 w/him (I had some questions)--and that was that.

What would the WA3's sound signature look like with the input tubes? more for warm or bright?
Any help with DAC and what kind should I look for to use better with tube amplifiers?

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #41,276 of 46,499
What would the WA3's sound signature look like with the input tubes? more for warm or bright?
Any help with DAC and what kind should I look for to use better with tube amplifiers?

Not sure how to answer your first question. I don't know how the stock input tubes sound (the unit shipped w/those, but w/the upgrade NOS 6922's installed...I never tried the stock tubes). When I researched the WA3 & input tubes others recommended, these 6922s kept coming up. I paid a little more for them by ordering from Woo--but the company does all the testing/screening of NOS tubes that I don't know how to do & can't do.

Re DACs, I'm kind of a broken record on this & other threads: I'm a big believer in multibit DACs. Not so much because they're "warm" or "romantic" (the truth isn't nearly that simple). It's more because they just sound more relaxed, fuller, and more dimensional to me than delta-sigma DACs (I've had a few of those). My favorite multibit design is NOS (non-oversampling). Hard to explain NOS sound (a refined example of multibit IMO), but my ears really appreciate it.

With multibit/NOS DACs trade off is the sharper, more impactful transients of d-s DACs (where things like drum strikes are very sharp & impressive), also some "dryness" of bass--for rounder, more natural sounding musical notes, better "space" around instruments, etc. People describe this quality as "analog-like," and I suppose it is (though I have yet to hear any digital w/the 3D depth of analog). I hear multibit more as the absence of certain sonic anomalies we all became used to w/digital sound, especially inexpensive mobile or desktop units.

Back the HD650s. I've only heard a modded version of the HD650 to date, so YMMV...but this is a real high-resolution headphone IMO. That resolution is not "in-your-face" at all...it comes through in that ear-friendly overall voicing this HP has. But w/the right amp, especially an OTL tube amp, the amount of detail that comes through is really major-league. I've found that mutlibit/NOS digital simply help that resolution to sound more natural.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #41,277 of 46,499

I second this. I use a WA3 with Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC driver tubes and Sylvania 6AS7G power tube and I think it's a very nice synergy with the HD 650.

May 1, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #41,278 of 46,499
6080 vacuum tube x 1)?

I'm a believer in the BH Crack and you can really change the sound by your choice of tubes but just remember that some of the better tubes are pricy these days (TS-5998, WE421a, Telefunken 12AU7, Bugle Boy). The other amp that I feel are great for the HD650 is a Project Ember but I'm not sure if you would be able to get it in Portugal but its a great amp due to the adjustable output impedance which makes it a great amp for a wider range of headphone over the BH Crack, WA3 and LF 332.

DACs: I have a Bifrost MB, Bifrost Uber, Teac UD-301 / A-H01, and Modi2uber, while I can tell the difference most of my friends can't hear any difference so while they are differences its not as noticeable as changing tubes would be to me. Also, the difference is more a matter of preference and not that one I'd say is better or worse than the other.

May 1, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #41,280 of 46,499
If your soundcard has a 3.5mm out you could try a headphone splitter to two 3.5mm and use one to go to the speakers and one to the amp. Or a 3.5 male to two rca female and an rca splitter for each channel. Depending on whether your speakers take 3.5mm or rca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back