Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #40,501 of 46,499
The 4-pin connector in itself shouldn't make a difference if the source isn't at least partially balanced. (Although I think a lot of folks like XLR connectors better for other reasons, like durability.) On the other hand, it certainly won't make anything sound worse, it just means that if you want to use those headphone and that cable with a single-ended source, you'll need an adapter.

Yeah, I'm getting it in part for style, but mostly for compatibility with better amps. I don't mind using my stock cable with a 1/4" adapter if/when I need it. There's a pretty decent chance I'll end up with a Jot, as I'm concerned the CTH won't play nice with both my CIEM's and HD 6XX, but I'll find out in a few weeks. Thanks!

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #40,502 of 46,499
That was my understanding too; I'm thinking about picking up a Jotunheim if I don't like the CTH, or perhaps something else (future proofing, as you say.) Can't the 4-pin carry more juice and thus sound better, even if the signal isn't actually from a balanced source?
The 4-pin XLR does not always carry more "juice" since it depends on the design of the amp but in the case of the Jot the balanced connection does have a higher output but as to sound differences that's a whole different topic. FWIW I think the Jot is a great amp for the HD650 since its a bit on the brighter side and pairs well with the HD650 but its not an amp that I would suggest if looking at HD800, HD700, HE560, HE400i, T1 and most Beyer headphones. I think the drivers of the HD650 are best driven with a OTL amp since the higher output impedance of most OTL amps seem to better control the drivers of the HD650 and it why many say the BH Crack is such a good pairing with well chosen tubes.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #40,503 of 46,499
The 4-pin XLR does not always carry more "juice" since it depends on the design of the amp but in the case of the Jot the balanced connection does have a higher output but as to sound differences that's a whole different topic. FWIW I think the Jot is a great amp for the HD650 since its a bit on the brighter side and pairs well with the HD650 but its not an amp that I would suggest if looking at HD800, HD700, HE560, HE400i, T1 and most Beyer headphones. I think the drivers of the HD650 are best driven with a OTL amp since the higher output impedance of most OTL amps seem to better control the drivers of the HD650 and it why many say the BH Crack is such a good pairing with well chosen tubes.

Yeah I thought about the BH Crack, but I just don't like how it looks. It's going to sit on my desk and I'm just not into it. I also have had better experiences with solid state amps in the past so I'm biased, probably inaccurately, but whatever. I'll give the CTH+SDAC a try, and if I don't like it, to the FS section it'll go (with a Jot coming to replace it.)

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #40,504 of 46,499
Yeah I thought about the BH Crack, but I just don't like how it looks. It's going to sit on my desk and I'm just not into it. I also have had better experiences with solid state amps in the past so I'm biased, probably inaccurately, but whatever. I'll give the CTH+SDAC a try, and if I don't like it, to the FS section it'll go (with a Jot coming to replace it.)
If you want a nice looking amp take a look at a WA7, I had one since my old GF thought it looked really nice on the listening table, didn't take up much space and the tubes were well protected from the dog, only problem was it didn't sound as good as it looked. My friend has a CTH and LCX coming in also so I'll probably take my BH Crack over to compare and also against a Elise, Icon HP-8mk2 and MicroZOTL.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #40,505 of 46,499
If you want a nice looking amp take a look at a WA7, I had one since my old GF thought it looked really nice on the listening table, didn't take up much space and the tubes were well protected from the dog, only problem was it didn't sound as good as it looked. My friend has a CTH and LCX coming in also so I'll probably take my BH Crack over to compare and also against a Elise, Icon HP-8mk2 and MicroZOTL.

That WA7 does look pretty slick, but would definitely put a strain on my budget unless they're going dirt cheap in the FS forum. I look forward to your impressions of the BH Crack against the Cavalli/Massdrop fleet, as I considered the LCX as well but leaned more towards the CTH based on the limited listening impressions available.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #40,506 of 46,499
Yes it does look like there is some minor "wear" on the plastic ring, but when I say minor, I mean minor. The worn ring was at the top so I simply flipped the damaged end to the bottom with the unaffected at the top. The top sort of pushed into place and stayed while the damaged end, now at the bottom just seems to stay in place. It's not as if I handled the pads roughly but there does seem to be some wear on the plastic ring but geez it's pretty flimsy.

It's crazy that Sennheiser charges $60 for such crummy quality material. I really hope that the Dekoni pads will be much better in quality and durability.
It was never designed to be hot/frequent swapped in the first place. Only for when you need to replace it after the pads are old and worn.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #40,508 of 46,499

+1 on the ugly looks of the Crack, it's one reason I've never pulled the trigger on that one despite my trust of @DavidA's ears that it is a good pairing with the HD 650 -- that and exposed hot tubage when I have a dog and a cat, the cat is particularly worrisome since she jumps on my desk often, keep me from seriously considering it.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #40,509 of 46,499
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #40,510 of 46,499
How does that work?
My take on "how does that work": I've read that the impedance of the HD650 is not a flat 300ohms and that it goes higher at different frequencies so the higher impedance of the BH Crack and most OTL amps seems to keep pace and control the driver better. And depending on the tubes used my BH Crack does not give the HD650 a warm tubby that many associate with a tube amp but a much clearer/cleaner overall tone with bass that is not muddy. The higher output impedance of the BH Crack is also a good pairing with my old HD800 and T1gen1 and with a change of tubes its a great amp for the HD700.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #40,511 of 46,499
I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).
You cant be serious

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #40,512 of 46,499
Jan 5, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #40,514 of 46,499
You cant be serious

The high end headphone market has changed dramatically in the last 11-12 years. When that post was made the HD650s were only a few years old and were still Sennheisers flagship headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back