Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. JKDJedi
    I'm tempted to try these cables, they seem like an upgrade. And the description says it opens up the 650 with deeper bass....o.O hmmm. To good to be true?
    https://www.c3audio.com/store/p26/Sennheiser_HD_650/600_Headphone_Cable_–_OFC.html

2. DavidA
    When I got into headphones a few years ago I was lucky that a friend let me have some really nice Forza and Double-Helix cables for my HD800 and HE560. I admin that they are works of art but at $350+ for each cable they didn't make any difference in the sound compared to the Mogami, Canare, and Van Damme cables that I had at the time. If you are replacing the stock cable I'd only do it to fix mechanical/ergonomic issues such as length, weight, kinking or microphonics and not expect the new cable to alter the sound, your money is better spent on higher quality recordings, different tubes (if you have a tube amp), or save it for a new/different amp.
    You might also want to look into the mods that some do for the HD650 like the dynamat which is said to help the bass (I've yet to decided which headphone I will mod-HD650 or HD6XX) so I'm not sure how much the dynamat will help but I do know that dynamat does make a difference in Grado headphone mods quite a bit.
    I'm not a total non-believer in cables since I've noticed that they do make a difference in speaker connections but its usually due to the longer lengths.

JKDJedi likes this.
  3. JKDJedi
    right on...thanks for the info. I'll save the monies for another set of IEMs then! :)

4. DavidA
    I've found wine, scotch, vodka, beer and tequila to all work better to improve the sound of any headphone or speaker, unfortunately the improvements are not permanent :ksc75smile:.

peter123, pietcux, MWSVette and 5 others like this.
  5. JKDJedi
    EXACTLY!! LMFAO!

6. Letmebefrank
    I have to agree with @DavidA, upgrade cables aren't worth it for the HD650 unless you want the looks.

I have 2 different custom cables for mine, one from impact audio cables, and one I had made from 8 wire occ copper braid. Both cables look great, but if there is a sound difference (now that the honeymoon phase has passed) I couldn't tell you. They don't degrade the sound, so I guess they sound perfect. The problem is, the 8 wire braid is very microphonic and stiff, and the impact cable has too long of leads after the split. I always end up back with my shortened and re-terminated to 4 pin xlr stock cable. No microphonics, the leads are the perfect length, and it's very flexible and supple.

7. DJtheAudiophile
    Thanks for the response. Which desktop DAC/amp under $500 pairs well with the hd 650?

8. pietcux
    I totally agree, the stock cable of this headphone is perfect. Only a bit long at times. And nearly indistructable.

9. I have a garage1217 project polaris with a modi multibit and it's a wonderful combination. (hd600)

10. JKDJedi
    Now there's a can of warms..get ready for the onslaught of ideas..think there is a thread on just that question. My vote, the iDSD Black Edition.

Quadfather likes this.
  11. Quadfather
    I will have to look at some of the suggestions. I was planning on acquiring the LaFigaro 339 at $750.00

12. gefski
    I certainly agree with going separates, especially considering the ongoing improvements in dacs.

13. DavidA
    For $500 and under I'd use a Modi2uber + Project Ember. The Ember is one of the most flexible amps around and the Modi2uber is a decent/good DAC. Most who have listened to my Modi2uber and Bifrost MB can't hear a difference between them so for most the additional cost of the Modi MB over the Modi2uber is not justified until you start to go higher up in ladder with a better amp and high quality recordings. Changing tubes has more of an effect than the difference between the Modi MB and Modi2uber.

14. pietcux
    I have a Meier Audio Jazz ff. A perfect pair.

trellus likes this.
  15. penmarker
    A good choice because the designer used the HD650 when building and tuning the 339.

trellus and Quadfather like this.