Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #40,381 of 46,499
Could anyone help?
I don't think these amps are mentioned much (this is the first times I've seen them mentioned in any of the threads that I follow) so it might be a while before someone might be able to help you. I did some searching and didn't find much info on the RX mk2 and the ALO site only list on that is designed for IEM so it doesn't look like the amp is still in production making it harder to get any impressions with various headphones.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #40,382 of 46,499
I don't think these amps are mentioned much (this is the first times I've seen them mentioned in any of the threads that I follow) so it might be a while before someone might be able to help you. I did some searching and didn't find much info on the RX mk2 and the ALO site only list on that is designed for IEM so it doesn't look like the amp is still in production making it harder to get any impressions with various headphones.

Hello, I’m talking about this version.

https://www.headfonia.com/alo-rx-mk2/

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #40,383 of 46,499
I ordered the MD Dekoni hybrid pads for HD6xx and did not like them. More mid bass and less treble. Made them sound like stock AQ NighthawksOvations I lent to a friend next time I’m over there.

interesting. I have been playing with my newly acquired Loki for the last couple of days and am amazed how nicely it tailors the sound of my HD650 in the upper frequencies. Hopefully the Dekoni pads don't disrupt my 650s too much but then the Loki may help with that. I'll share my thoughts in about a month's time.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #40,384 of 46,499
And which version he’s getting. On my Hifiman HE-6 the Dekoni sheepskin were an improvement and the Dekoni microfiber the best I’ve found.

I just went for the base version. My motivation was based on a need for new ear pads plus something more durable and hopefully longer lasting than the stock replacement pads from Sennheiser. I was/am hopeful that the Dekoni pads won't alter the sound of my 650's but if they do I'll use my Loki to tailor the sound back to what I like.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #40,385 of 46,499
I just went for the base version. My motivation was based on a need for new ear pads plus something more durable and hopefully longer lasting than the stock replacement pads from Sennheiser. I was/am hopeful that the Dekoni pads won't alter the sound of my 650's but if they do I'll use my Loki to tailor the sound back to what I like.

Cool. The Loki sounds interesting. You are not noticing any degradation using it, I take it?

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #40,386 of 46,499
Cool. The Loki sounds interesting. You are not noticing any degradation using it, I take it?

No degradation to my ears. With respect to my HD650's I'm not over-doing the increase/decrease in bands, just a light increase in the upper frequency dial with a tiny decrease in the mid bass (to soften the "mid bass hump"). A more aggressive boost in the lower bass to see how much more quality bass can be extracted. I find that too much lower bass begins to muddy things up so again a moderate amount of bass increase is ok. A little extra clarity in the treble is welcomed and enjoyable. The Loki is a fun tinkering device that has the ability to sensibly tailor the sound of your favourite headphones. I tried it briefly with my HE500 but I'm pretty happy with no EQ, perhaps a tad more bass bump is ok but I don't want to mess with the highs too much. I really like the defeat switch for quick comparisons.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #40,387 of 46,499
Somewhere between 10 to 20 hours on my HD650 headphones on Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, and they keep sounding better every time I turn the player on.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #40,388 of 46,499
How long do these take to burn in?

I've only got 4-5 hours on mine and I swear they are getting warmer by the minute.
These are great HP's.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #40,390 of 46,499
Hello, I’m talking about this version.

https://www.headfonia.com/alo-rx-mk2/
From the review it seems like the RX-mk2 sound be decent for driving the HD650.

How long do these take to burn in?

I've only got 4-5 hours on mine and I swear they are getting warmer by the minute.
These are great HP's.
Some say a lot, others say not much, for me there was no noticeable change which to me is a good thing but I still will let new headphones play for a few hundred hours just to pacify those who make it a point to say that you need to "burn-in" headphones.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #40,391 of 46,499
Once your ears starts to get used to the treble recessed sig, it starts to sound better and more articulate.

I'm use to that. I listen to the Hawks which are similar in treble. I wouldn't say they are recessed. They sound natural. Other HP's are boosted. Especially HD700 and 800.

Some say a lot, others say not much, for me there was no noticeable change which to me is a good thing but I still will let new headphones play for a few hundred hours just to pacify those who make it a point to say that you need to "burn-in" headphones.

I'm hearing change in warmth and soundstage.
I'm tempted to plug into a iPod and just leave them running for a few days.

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #40,393 of 46,499
In my experience, the HD650 doesn't change that much through burn-in. I find that whatever subtle changes take place are over with by 150 hours.

Cool.
I think I will just run them.

I think these will team up well with my tube amp (Woo WA22).
So far I've been using V281.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #40,394 of 46,499

I’m hoping it is. Still trying to find more information on this pairing.

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #40,395 of 46,499
Anyone here compaired well the HD650 (with a good amplifier) with the NightHawk (with a good dac), I need a third opinion because to my ears (the NH is still in break in) the first combination sounds better, more dynamic and neutral. While the Mojo seem more "fun" but I am guessing is a made a good buy having already the HD650. Just for curiosity while I am still testing and burning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back