Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #40,006 of 46,499
Hi,

actually I listen with my HD650 with this setup:

Win10>Tidal>Roon>Dac Asus Xonar Essence One USB>HD650

My purpose is listening to HD650 also in my bedroom (my setup is in the living room) and actually I only use iPhone 6>jack output>HD650 with average results.

I have to scenario and I need your advice:

1) buying a DAC to connect to the iPhone 6 and then listening with my HD650 (in such case I will have a bunch of cable, imagining I want to buy a Chord Mojo or something less expensive)

2) buying a second pair of Headphones that are lesser hard to drive, just like the Momentum and use them with my iPhone directly without any Dac.

3) buying a wireless headphone (just like Momentum wireless) but in such case Apple doesn't support APTX so I don't know what results I will face.

The second scenario seem the most easy to adapt, keeping a good quality (avoiding wireless) and avoiding too much cable. Also the first scenario could be good, because I don't need a portable Dac so I can even spend less than the Chord Mojo beacuse I think it's so expensive because is portable... but I need some advice here.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #40,007 of 46,499
If you spend a lot of time listening in your bedroom, it's probably worth a separate rig.
Imho there is very little to be gained with a separate DAC, today's cheapest DAC chips do a great job.
You might consider an inexpensive iPhone dock, a 3.5mm stereo phono to RCA cable and a good amp to drive the HD650's.
Personally I like IEMs for anytime my phone is my music source. They're light, extremely portable, easily driven by dap's and phones and provide incredible isolation from within and without.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #40,008 of 46,499
@RiseFall123, my suggestion would be to get a reasonable DAP (Fiio X3iii - $200) or if you want cheaper the X3ii ($135) and another headphone like the HE400i, HD-600 or something in the $250-300 range, a complimentary headphone to go with your HD650 unless you want a second pair.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #40,009 of 46,499
Hi,

actually I listen with my HD650 with this setup:

Win10>Tidal>Roon>Dac Asus Xonar Essence One USB>HD650

My purpose is listening to HD650 also in my bedroom (my setup is in the living room) and actually I only use iPhone 6>jack output>HD650 with average results.

I have to scenario and I need your advice:

1) buying a DAC to connect to the iPhone 6 and then listening with my HD650 (in such case I will have a bunch of cable, imagining I want to buy a Chord Mojo or something less expensive)

2) buying a second pair of Headphones that are lesser hard to drive, just like the Momentum and use them with my iPhone directly without any Dac.

3) buying a wireless headphone (just like Momentum wireless) but in such case Apple doesn't support APTX so I don't know what results I will face.

The second scenario seem the most easy to adapt, keeping a good quality (avoiding wireless) and avoiding too much cable. Also the first scenario could be good, because I don't need a portable Dac so I can even spend less than the Chord Mojo beacuse I think it's so expensive because is portable... but I need some advice here.

Go get the new easy to drive Sennheiser HD660S. I consider them as portable.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #40,010 of 46,499
Go get the new easy to drive Sennheiser HD660S. I consider them as portable.

It's not still too much 150omh for an iphone output minijack (or worse, when i will change iphone, for the lightning>minijack)?

@RiseFall123, my suggestion would be to get a reasonable DAP (Fiio X3iii - $200) or if you want cheaper the X3ii ($135) and another headphone like the HE400i, HD-600 or something in the $250-300 range, a complimentary headphone to go with your HD650 unless you want a second pair.

Do you mean Fiio X3iii and the HD650 or with the "second" easier headphone? Why do you speak about HD600 while its sensivity is the same as the HD650? Just to understand... :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #40,011 of 46,499
DavidA's comment makes no sense to me. You like the HD650, and rightly so, it's spectacular, but nothing that fits in a shirt pocket is going to let you realize the great audio they are capable of. And you certainly don't need to go out and buy another FS headphone that will be equally "mediocre sounding" when driven by a portable, be it a phone or portable DAP.

They way I see it is, you can invest in a good amp that runs on AC power, like a Bottlehead Crack, or get some good IEMs that are made to be driven to satisfying levels with the current that comes out of the headphone jack of your phone. I've heard the HD650 driven by a Bottlehead Crack and at the risk of sounding like a commercial, it really is a spectacular combo, that punches WAY above it's weight in terms of money.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #40,012 of 46,499
Bottlehead Crack

I read a little and it seems it should be an amp without the DAC. Also, it has input RCA. So I guess, how to connect with iPhone. I think... iPhone>DAC>this amp? In this way I will have, cable of lighting>USB, cable USB>miniUSB, cables from DAC to Amp. I am right?

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #40,013 of 46,499
I read a little and it seems it should be an amp without the DAC. Also, it has input RCA. So I guess, how to connect with iPhone. I think... iPhone>DAC>this amp? In this way I will have, cable of lighting>USB, cable USB>miniUSB, cables from DAC to Amp. I am right?

Here you go...googled that for ya:ksc75smile: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PIDOCK1...890&sr=8-2&keywords=iPhone+dock+audio+outputs

It even comes with the 3.5mm phono to RCA cable, or you can spend a bit more for a higher quality 3.5 phono to RCA. That cheap cable will likely do just fine tho, but I wouldn't count on it for the long run, cheap cables always seem to crap out.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #40,014 of 46,499
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #40,015 of 46,499
Hi,

I am little confused here.

The dock (this is not lightning but doesn't matter), is not the right solution because imagine, when I need to change track or else I need to go or to watch to the table where the iphone lays. It's better if I can have the phone in my hands. Also, in this way is strictly iphone>amp without a Dac in the middle. Since, the mobile app of Tidal (mainly my source) will not stream more than 44khz it should be fine, but still dont know.

My question: will something like Chrod Mojo be more right in my case, since it has a Dac integrated too? I don't need its "portable style" but I will have more benefits with it without the risk of "dirty" the signal path too much with cables?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #40,016 of 46,499
I'm not sure why you seem to think an external DAC is a requirement. Do you think the quality of the music from your phone is bad? As I mentioned earlier, even the cheapest DAC chips in our computers and phones do a very good job at converting bits to analog joy. Most of us couldn't reliably discern one DAC from another in a blind dest and then only using highly resolving amps and speakers/headphones.

I'm going to exit this conversation with this: If you want a portable DAC/amp, by all means research them, buy one and enjoy it, but manage your expectations when it comes to driving something like a 300ohm Sennheiser. Best of luck to you and have fun!

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #40,017 of 46,499
It's not still too much 150omh for an iphone output minijack (or worse, when i will change iphone, for the lightning>minijack)?
I'm not sure why you seem to think an external DAC is a requirement. Do you think the quality of the music from your phone is bad? As I mentioned earlier, even the cheapest DAC chips in our computers and phones do a very good job at converting bits to analog joy. Most of us couldn't reliably discern one DAC from another in a blind dest and then only using highly resolving amps and speakers/headphones.

I'm going to exit this conversation with this: If you want a portable DAC/amp, by all means research them, buy one and enjoy it, but manage your expectations when it comes to driving something like a 300ohm Sennheiser. Best of luck to you and have fun!

I think Apple users should or must think about wireless headphones sooner or later. To Apple the cable connection is obsolete.

Oct 22, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #40,018 of 46,499

Do you mean Fiio X3iii and the HD650 or with the "second" easier headphone? Why do you speak about HD600 while its sensivity is the same as the HD650? Just to understand... :)
I was just giving examples of headphones in the $250-300 range but I do consider the HD600 a different sound from the HD650 and there are many who like it better than the HD650.

@cswann1, why does my comment make no sense? The Fiio X3ii does drive the HD650, they sound different but its not a night and day difference from the BH Crack, more a preference. The BH Crack does a better job with the HD650 to me, but to some of my friends the X3ii actually sounds better since its a slightly smoother sound to them.

I agree with @pietcux that Apple is getting away from wires, its why I suggest a DAP. I also don't like having too many cables with portable gear and would never consider an Mojo or similar device since the gains are not work the cost/effort to me.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #40,020 of 46,499
@DavidA Why do I say your post makes no sense? Firstly, I stand by my earlier statement that nothing that fits in your pocket will drive Sennheiser HD6XX's like what I good desktop system will, and from what I've read and heard the Xonar Essence sound cards are an excellent headphone DAC/amp. If you really think a Fiio portable DAP is in the same league as a Bottlehead Crack, on that we will forever disagree and there's no point debating. You have your opinion and I have mine. But for the life of me I can't understand why, when a HeadFier is looking for advise on components to drive his premium full-sized headphones you tell them to run out and buy another set of FS headphones :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back