Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #21,257 of 46,596
I recently purchased an HD600, and while I prefer the sound of the HD650 ever so slightly, the HD600 is right up there with it in terms of greatness. Scales just as well, and is a bit less colored. The advantage? Clarity and a bit more treble presence. The sacrifice? Vocals are a little less seductive.

Also, bass impact is heavier on the 650, while it was a little leaner and tighter in the 600, indicating a sense of clarity. All of these observations are minimal at best. The headphones are both fantastic and sound more similar than they do different. Pick your poison :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #21,258 of 46,596
I would seriously reconsider returning them. First, it's extremely unlikely they revised the phones just because the packaging was brought up to date. Second, if they didn't change and you get a new pair you will always be wondering if your first pair didn't sound a little bit better.

X2 on that. Mine came from B&H with the $313 sale and they are the gray box. Same as the 650 I had a few years ago and same as in many pics from around  the net. I also had the HD600 that were in the same type of box as 650..just different color. The newer box looks exactly like the Momentums come..I am sure they are just updating all their packaging. Enjoy the 650's! I have every confidence in B&H anyway.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #21,260 of 46,596

That's why you buy from Authorized Dealers, they source them correctly.....

Are you saying eBay isn't an authorized Sennheiser dealer? 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #21,261 of 46,596
  now waiting for the second effect: "it sounds better in a black box".

Wait...is that the black box or silver corrugated box version? Which ever version I have...... has greater detail, with more focus, bass slam, and air between the instruments.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #21,262 of 46,596
  Wait...is that the black box or silver corrugated box version? Which ever version I have...... has greater detail, with more focus, bass slam, and air between the instruments.

Stop it, you're gonna give this guy a complex. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #21,265 of 46,596
My only concern is how Sennheiser changed the sound in the past while stating that they did not, hell even Audio Technica did that with the M50x. I would have peice of mind if someone did a comparison between the two but that hasn't happened yet.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #21,266 of 46,596
My only concern is how Sennheiser changed the sound in the past while stating that they did not, hell even Audio Technica did that with the M50x. I would have peice of mind if someone did a comparison between the two but that hasn't happened yet.
Go forth and enjoy your great headphones. Seek peace of mind in nature and philosophy.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #21,267 of 46,596

I have replaced my early 2000s HD600 drivers (black screen) with brand new latest silver screened and couldn't hear any difference.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #21,268 of 46,596
Go forth and enjoy your great headphones. Seek peace of mind in nature and philosophy.

Very good advice, the possibility of unannounced upgrades is always present in this hobby.  If you let it get to you, it will be a never ending source of anxiety. It's what they used to call Audiophilia Nervosa.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #21,269 of 46,596

now waiting for the second effect: "it sounds better in a black box".

<snip>
I wonder if he has heard the special edition (blue box) version yet.

There are years worth of anecdotal documentation that nothing sounds better than Black Box 650s flavored to taste by aftermarket cables.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back