Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #17,311 of 46,499
I have the 650's, just got the Valhalla and currently use the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 BR Player as a transport (it has four burr brown 32-bit/192kHz DACs).  I am thinking about getting an external DAC but am not sure if it will be a marked increase in quality or just different.  I don't want to spend over 500 and am not against getting a oldie but goodie.  I want one with at least two toslink inputs and a toslink out to be used with my HT system.

Any suggestions?

May 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #17,312 of 46,499
  I have the 650's, just got the Valhalla and currently use the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 BR Player as a transport (it has four burr brown 32-bit/192kHz DACs).  I am thinking about getting an external DAC but am not sure if it will be a marked increase in quality or just different.  I don't want to spend over 500 and am not against getting a oldie but goodie.  I want one with at least two toslink inputs and a toslink out to be used with my HT system.

Any suggestions?

Looks like a nice machine, on paper, but you're not using this as a transport, rather as a player (i.e. analog out from the Panny to the Valhalla).  If you are fine with physical media and/or DLNA playback, why not stick with what you have and get to know your Valhalla?

However, if you want something to bridge your PC (or Mac?) to your AVR via USB, I *highly* recommend the bel canto mLink.  It's $199.00 if you Google around and the impact it made on my playback chain was jaw-dropping.

May 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #17,314 of 46,499
Compared to what, analog out of your PC? That I could understand, but otherwise, this is just a USB to S/PDIF converter... I wouldn't expect it to have much impact on a digital signal compared to anything else, unless the clocking is really exceptional.

That's the point: the clocking is really exceptional on the bel canto.  It's also galvanically isolated on the USB input, so I feed the output to my DAC and the difference was stunning.

May 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #17,315 of 46,499
Does anyone know of a great preset on Electri-Q for the 650's? I just read up on the
"How to equalize your headphones"thread and I wanted to know if you guys have had
a good experience with EQing these.

May 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #17,316 of 46,499

Looks like a nice machine, on paper, but you're not using this as a transport, rather as a player (i.e. analog out from the Panny to the Valhalla).  If you are fine with physical media and/or DLNA playback, why not stick with what you have and get to know your Valhalla?

However, if you want something to bridge your PC (or Mac?) to your AVR via USB, I *highly* recommend the bel canto mLink.  It's $199.00 if you Google around and the impact it made on my playback chain was jaw-dropping.

Thanks for the reply; I took one foot off the ledge but I'm not in the window yet!  I should really  take some time to enjoy what I have and get to know the characteristics of the sound.

May 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #17,317 of 46,499
My 650's are finally "breaking in" after apx. 150 hours of use and their sweet spot is oh, so wonderful! Though maybe it is my new Fiio E09k/E17 combo versus the Cambridge Azur/Music Fidelity Xcan V3 partnering. Listening to the Grateful Dead, Dick's Picks, V7 was an ethreal experience last night, the space jams sounding powerful and soooooo sweet, at the same time. Had read that the E09k did not have enough juice for the 650's, definitely not the case, twelve o'clock blows me away. Initially, I forgot to switch the amp to high gain, my bad, after using my Sony XB4's. Thought the smattering of posts making this claim were correct, had a minor epiphany, and am now blown away by the combination, affordable Audi nirvana! Perhaps those who claimed the E09k lacked the juevos to drive the 650's made the same mistake.....

May 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #17,319 of 46,499
  Don't underestimate the amplification.  For example, this last week I've been listening exclusively to the HD650 being driven by the TEAC HA-501.  The sound was very crisp, precise, and transparent.  My ear burned in nicely.

Then, last night to change things up, I switched to my DT990 600 ohm being driven by my Woo WA3.  The DT990s traditionally have deep, tight bass and sizzling highs.  Well, compared to the TEAC HD650 combo, the DT990 and WA3 was extremely warm, laid back, flabby, and wooly.

Amplification makes a big difference.  In last night's example, the DT990 was more laid back, mellow, and euphonic. 

x2

..and on a perhaps more controversial note...don't underestimate the benefit of running the 650s in balanced mode

May 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #17,320 of 46,499
"Hey, this Bifrost I got clicks! What’s up with that?
It’s just the muting relay, operating normally. We chose a relay rather than relying on the D/A chip’s soft mute, since it’s safer and less sonically invasive. You'll thank us when you accidentally send some Dolby Digital content down the line and your speakers don't explode because of full-scale noise on the output."

I am using the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 analog RCA output straight to the Valhalla.  I am listening to DTS-MA, DTS and DD all downmixed to stereo "surround encoded".  It all plays without a hitch.  If I hooked the Panasonic via toslink to the Bifrost would I get sound from all the aforementioned formats? 

May 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #17,321 of 46,499
I noticed somewhat large upgrade in sound by upgrading my Modi to HRT MS II+. Now the 650's sound much airier and more "alive" than before. Now I understand why people say Vali requires a better DAC to claim its rights. Before upgrading Modi, I was determined to upgrade Vali first, but now I'm not so sure I need to upgrade anything in a long while.
cool.gif

May 5, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #17,322 of 46,499
I noticed somewhat large upgrade in sound by upgrading my Modi to HRT MS II+. Now the 650's sound much airier and more "alive" than before. Now I understand why people say Vali requires a better DAC to claim its rights. Before upgrading Modi, I was determined to upgrade Vali first, but now I'm not so sure I need to upgrade anything in a long while. :cool:

So, you are using HRT MS II+ as a DAC and Modi as your amp ? or is the hirestech amp/dac ? I was planning to get Vali + Modi as my laptop set up to power my HD650's.. do you think it is not worth it?

May 5, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #17,323 of 46,499
So, you are using HRT MS II+ as a DAC and Modi as your amp ? or is the hirestech amp/dac ? I was planning to get Vali + Modi as my laptop set up to power my HD650's.. do you think it is not worth it?

I'm using HRT as DAC and Vali as amp. Modi sounds very good, especially for the price, and they are definitely worth it. You can't go wrong with Modi/Vali combo for 650's.
I just got a good deal on used HRT and figured why not. Needless to say I was positively surprised.

May 5, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #17,324 of 46,499
  Don't underestimate the amplification.  For example, this last week I've been listening exclusively to the HD650 being driven by the TEAC HA-501.  The sound was very crisp, precise, and transparent.  My ear burned in nicely.

Then, last night to change things up, I switched to my DT990 600 ohm being driven by my Woo WA3.  The DT990s traditionally have deep, tight bass and sizzling highs.  Well, compared to the TEAC HD650 combo, the DT990 and WA3 was extremely warm, laid back, flabby, and wooly.

Amplification makes a big difference.  In last night's example, the DT990 was more laid back, mellow, and euphonic. 

Yeah, amplification means plenty.

I have had tubes that needed longer to burn in than some headphones....I think many people forget that about tubes.....give them time before you make any harsh decisions.

May 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #17,325 of 46,499
Compared to what, analog out of your PC? That I could understand, but otherwise, this is just a USB to S/PDIF converter... I wouldn't expect it to have much impact on a digital signal compared to anything else, unless the clocking is really exceptional.

I heard a pretty big difference between a first generation HiFace and my Blue Circle Thingee .......   and the difference was in tone as well as resolution.  All things being equal, I would like to have a converter with the resolution of the HiFace and the tone of the Thingee.

Quote:

..and on a perhaps more controversial note...don't underestimate the benefit of running the 650s in balanced mode

Don't be so sure. 
eek.gif

"The result of balanced headphones is less damping factor, more distortion, and more noise. Also, balanced headphones configurations offer no real benefits, to boot."  .... Benchmark engineer Elias Gwinn   [ http://www.head-fi.org/t/576339/balanced-vs-single-ended-poll ]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back