Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #40,561 of 46,499
A used AV receiver! I'm serious.
Great suggestion but it will depend on the AVR that one has. My old Sony ES receiver is pretty good with the HD650, better than my Fiio X3 & X3ii and a few other sources that I've tried but its still not like the BH Crack.

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #40,562 of 46,499
I can't really comment on that because i am in UK where market seems a bit bias towards British products such as audiolab and Chord . I ve only had Audiolab Q-dac which falls in under $400 . But for me was a weak performer with HD650 hence i bought Marantz dac1 and i am extremely happy.
I have also Marantz PM8003 stereo amp which supossed to have really good headphone amp section , but again i felt it was just not good at all.

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #40,563 of 46,499
Great suggestion but it will depend on the AVR that one has. My old Sony ES receiver is pretty good with the HD650, better than my Fiio X3 & X3ii and a few other sources that I've tried but its still not like the BH Crack.

if I can only find a bottlehead crack with the 1.1 Speedball for under $450 built well....then I'm in the game. As of now, I'm saving up to get the $625 one off Etsy.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #40,564 of 46,499
what dac and amp would you recommend under $400?
At $400 I'd just use the line out of what ever you currently have and get OTL amp like a DV 336 + tubes or a Ember/Solstice/Polaris from Garage 1217. After saving a little more the Mimby (Modi MB) at $250 is one of the better DACs under $300.

An alternative would be Modi2uber ($150) and Sunrise III ($250)

@Quadfather, If you want a BH Crack I'd suggest building it yourself since it will be easier for you to trouble shoot it in the future if something goes wrong or if you want to upgrade/modify it. I know that most are afraid of trying to build it but the instructions are so good that even my old GF could build one once she learned how to solder (took her 2-3 days of practice to get really good at soldering). Also, for the price of a completed one you will have a decent/good soldering station and some basic tools (multi-meter, wire cutters/strippers, etc) that will come in handy in the future. And don't forget that you will need to factor in the price of tubes since the stock ones are average and many of the recommend tubes are getting a bit pricy these days (TS5998, WE421a, Telefunkens, Amperex, Mullards, etc). I do see the appeal in buying an completed kit and they do look nice but for the price there are better options out there IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #40,567 of 46,499
After owning HD 650 for 6 months, I feel it keeps getting better and better. I don’t know what magic is in them but they keep growing on me more each passing day.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #40,571 of 46,499
Currently, the only FS headphones I use with any regularity are my 300ohm Sennheiser HD580's, and I drive them with the hp out on the volume control of my Logitech XZ2300 PC speakers. And when I briefly owned the HD650 I used them in the same way and drove them to very satisfying levels.
Point being, the 300ohm Senns aren't nearly as "hard to drive" as many would have you believe. But having said that, I maintain that a Bottlehead Crack has amazing synergy with the HD650 and you'll be hard-pressed to find better amplification. But short of that amp, and especially on a budget, just use what you have and enjoy the cans.
Sometimes I plug my HD580's into the hp jack of my Denon AV receiver for movies when I don't want to bother my roommate, and again it sounds great.

Always thinking there is better audio fidelity to be had if I just spend more $$ is a sure way to stay unhappy.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #40,572 of 46,499
Hmmmm so I would need more money :)

How much should I spend on headphone amp to get the best out of HD650?

Oh, about $1000 should do you good. Go balanced. Look for good prices on amps in the FS section of the forums. I would look for a good deal on Auralic Taurus MKII or Cayin IHA-6, if I was starting from scratch. Personally just picked up a Rudistor RPX-33MK2 not too long ago, it's not balanced, but would imagine it's just about as good as it gets for single ended setup for the 650's. The 650's have been around for a long time, and you will find great deals ($300 range) on amps from back in the day that paired very well with them. Would look at something like the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3, or the Meier amps (like the Opera). Hell you might even look at the current Meier amp line.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #40,574 of 46,499
Ufff I really don't know what to do. Right now I only have money for cans, not for both cans and amp.

Currently I'm listening to NAD VISO HP50, but I really miss the open soundstage of HD598 I owned before them.

Maybe I should just buy HD650 and eventually buy headphone amp.

Oh yeah, regarding Bottlehead Crack, I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to build the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back